CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Flytrap had good results with his dealer adding 25mm shims and dropping the fork oil down to 5w I wanted to change the fork oil but didn't want to take the forks apart just to drain out the old oil.

Anybody dig into their forks? Could I insert a thin tube and use vacuum pump (like a brake bleeder tool) to pull out the old fork oil? Would make the job much simpler although I would have to go buy the vacuum pump.

Why don't they make forks like the old days, or even like Harley still does, where you just unscrew a small screw at the bottom of the fork leg and pump the forks to push out the old fork oil?

I guess they figured most owners wouldn't need to change fork oil very often so there isn't a quick way to do it.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont know about the thin tube,there is no much space.I do the job last week and its an easy task.Rise the front remove the wheel,brakes can be hold or use a table,loose the fork caps then one fork leg and put it upside down I take 16 oz from the right leg and 18 oz from the left.The bike runs much better,more firm on the road.

Reactions: togojeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jmmont, thanks for the information. I'll give my bike a few more miles to break-in before I do the fork oil change.

Aloha,
Huladog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts