CTX 1300 Forum banner

Front caliper leak and brake fluid?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TennesseeSmith 
#1 ·
Had my baby out for a ride, and something seemingly flew up from the road (no idea what) but my guess is it hot the left caliper/line. The little rubber boot has a split in it, and it is leaking fluid. Any ideas? Hate to take it to a mechanic if it is something simple...
Also, accidentally bought for 4 lv (low viscosity) can this be used or do I need another trip to the part store, as the reservoir is a little low.

#3 ·
Yea , it's DOT 4 LV, not standard.
I'll post a pic when I get home. there is a little boot at the caliper on the end which I can tell has a split, the other caliper, which isn't leaking, does not. I'm sure it's just a cover on some sort of tip. As much as I don't want to go days without the bike, I will probably have to take it to the mechanic.

#4 ·
The LV just means it's fluid like water not thick. If the rubber boot is what my finger is pointing to, it isn't a serious stop riding right now problem. If the leak you see is from this boot, it's the silicone grease inside, not brake fluid.
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Vehicle brake Automotive tire

The part number is the same for either side:
45132-166-016
BOOT, PIN BUSH (NISSIN)
Price: $4.04
Honda parts direct:

The shipping and handling charge is usually high from them, so it might be cheaper to order direct from a dealer or someone else online.

#6 ·
It did seem unlikely to be a caliper leak.
I did have a fork seal leak on my CTX1300 and fixed it permanently with a Seal Mate tool. No need to replace the seal unless that tool doesn't fix it. I actually made my own Seal Mate tool by using an old one I had to cut it out of the side of a plastic milk jug. You just pull the dust seal down and then slip the Seal Mate tool flat on the curve of the fork up under the oil seal and then swipe it all the way around the fork. This removes any grit is most often the cause of fork seal leaks. If you make your own tool make sure it is thin and that there are no burrs on the edge. The one I made from the milk jug was maybe a little thicker than the official tool but it still worked well. A lot of riders I know and ride with have used the Seal Mate tool to stop fork oil leaks. If the fork seal still leaks after using the tool only then will the seal need to be replaced.
This is what the tool looks like if anyone doesn't know. The end with the hook is what goes under the oil seal to clean out grit. It's just a thin plastic, maybe 6 inches long, that is flexible to conform to the curve of the fork tube.
Plant Banana family Electric blue Font Fruit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.