CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike out today. Coming back into town let go of the bars at 60 kms per hr., bike shook like bucking bronco! 10,000 kms or 6000 miles.
Whats going on? Any suggestions? Still have lots of warranty left.

Thx

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the same problem,I checked tyre pressures and increased them,also took the top box off ( assuming you have one) all wobble went away.
Replaced top box still no wobble,one interesting bit of information for you I am sure you are aware,I had a front end wobble on my GL 1800 and no amount of wheel balancing cured it,so I put balancing beads in both tyres,wobble cured.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
This is a known problem for SOME ST1300 and the reason many highway patrol decided against the ST for their new bikes. You can check out over on the ST-Owners web site for some results to a search on this subject. Usually would happen on deceleration from highway speeds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a top box and no sign of wobble we hands on bars, smooth as butter.............. scary!
Would this be a warranty concern?
Thx

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Don't think Honda considers it so since they don't condone letting go of the bars with both hands at any time. Nothing was done by Honda for the ST1300 bikes that showed this same thing. Tapered bearings in the steering head may resolve it but don't know for sure. That's what helped the GL1500 bikes that showed the same. Many motorcycle models show this symptom but it is still rare considering total numbers of bikes that show it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
... Nothing was done by Honda for the ST1300 bikes that showed this same thing...
Not completely correct Sir!
They tried quiet a lot in the beginning. There have been even guys from Japan who tried some things on my bike here in Germany. After a while the positive effects of their work diminished.

But this has nothing to do with the CTX, which, in my opinion, is stable as a ??? (fill in your favorite comparison). :D

(Would anvil be one?)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I stand corrected. If Honda did look into the issue it seems there wasn't much they could do to totally resolve it, though there are things that can be done to partly resolve it as you have said. I agree that this bike is incredibly stable. The most aerodynamically well designed bike I've been on to date as well (which I'm sure helps with that stability).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have always contributed it to give and take...
The give: Excellent handling and quick turn-in
The take: Twitchiness and wobble when no hands are used
Remember, the CTX1300 has a Rake, 28˚. Trail, 114 3 mm / 4.5 in. allowing for quick steering

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I’ve experienced front end wobble on a GL1500 I had twice. Once it was a worn/under inflated front tire. The second time was steeringhead bearing. Again when complaining most m/c people will tell ya don’t take your hands off the handlebars. LOL

·
Registered
657 Posts
My CTX does it ... my ‘97 Shadow Spirit 1100 did it ... my ‘98 Magna did it ... all 3 of my VMaxes did it. Not always, but more times than not. Usually in the 30-45mph range. Just something about the dynamics of a heavy 2-wheeled bike and engine braking, I guess. One finger pushing on one grip will keep it from happening. Look it over for obvious problems, check air pressures, then keep a hind on the grips and RIDE ON !!!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I have felt this effect on several bikes I've owned. #1 , usually occurs when suspension needs more spring in rear. So when loading bike make sure the weight distributition is not lightening the front end. And then again tire pressures.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
(snipped)

But this has nothing to do with the CTX, which, in my opinion, is stable as a ??? (fill in your favorite comparison). :D

(Would anvil be one?)
Horse!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had the same issue with a number of bikes I've ridden. I have not had it happen on the CTX1300. However, I have been experimenting with removing the bar-end weights to help get rid of the slapping handlebar at certain speeds over a bumpy road. I have had severe harmonics take over the handlebars a few times on some rough roads and over minor bumps. I am currently running without the weights and it has made a significant difference. I do feel the engine vibration a little more but I felt it on all the bikes I've ridden.

It appears speed (equates to engine RPM) has a significant part in this and I would not be surprised that at a certain speed in a certain gear at a certain RPM would result in the handlbar ends vibrating at alternating rates if the handlebar was a little bent.

I would highly recommend getting the handlebar measured and confirm it isn't bent slightly.

I would also get the risors checked. I purchased a second set of risors (stock CTx1300) and the top side of the tripple-tree only to find that once I loosened the risor bolts, I found the risors appeared to be bent. They did not look bent before loosing them up. Re-tightening them up without the handlebar in place did not appear to put them back in an aligned position.

If the bike has been taken apart, bumped, or dropped, the handlebars or Risors may be bent. This and the harmonics of the road/engine may be causing the severe wobble. Keeping one finger from one hand on the handlebar one one side, may be all that is needed to keep it from magnifying while slowing down or speeding up. I myself have always kept at least one hand on the bar.

in my experiments with the CTX1300 to minimize the handlebar vibrations, a crossbar may be to solution to your issue. It will help to keep both ends in unison by tying them together. However, finding a crossbar that works with the 28mm/1 1/8" handlebar is turning into a goose hunt. Haven't found one yet. Found many 22mm/7/8" units, but nothing for the 28mm.

My experiments haven't stopped and I have finally found some 28mm P-clamps to be used with a crossbar that looks like I will need to make myself. When I have found a soluition to the vibrations I'll post a thread.

You might try removing the bar-end weights and repeating the road trip/speed/etc. to see if it re-occurs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts