CTX 1300 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Does anyone think that it's possible that the reason why so many people are uncomfortable with the suspension on this bike is because it's a style of suspension used more in sport bikes and most people here may be unaccustomed to such suspensions? I'm assuming most people here are either cruiser riders or maybe some sport cruiser riders. Personally, I dialed up the rear shocks to number three and I feel the ride is pretty good overall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
please point me to the thread ,,

I don't think we need yet another thread about this. Merged with an existing discussion on the subject.

please point me to the thread ,, .. looked ,, cant find - ultimately im looking for a year , make , model that is a bolt on project and ill do it NOW

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
please point me to the thread ,, .. looked ,, cant find - ultimately im looking for a year , make , model that is a bolt on project and ill do it NOW
The post you just quoted from IS in that thread you are looking for. Ed moved it there. HERE is a link to the first post in this thread you seek.

When you come to this forum are you clicking on the link for "Forums" at the top red bar to see all the sections and sub-forums available to you? If not, do that and then you can click into any of the many forums here and see what conversations others have already started and run with... some for many pages of posts with good information. All the posts submitted go into one of these or are started as new. Just to keep things clean and easier to find it is preferred to post to an existing thread if the subject matter is the same and applies. Otherwise a new thread is fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As to the size and configuration of the rear shocks, they are exactly the same as the VTX 1300C shocks. The difference would be the weight of the CTX is about 150 lbs more so the springs are probably different. I had a pair of VTX shocks that I shortened the springs on and mounted them in the CTX to see if I liked the ride height since I am inseam challenged. They bolted right on using the VTX shims that were still on the shocks.
I do like the ride height and will be checking with Progressive or some other shock mfg. to find a set that are 1 inch shorter but sprung for the weight of the CTX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
did you ever find a bike that had a bolt on shock ?

As to the size and configuration of the rear shocks, they are exactly the same as the VTX 1300C shocks. The difference would be the weight of the CTX is about 150 lbs more so the springs are probably different. I had a pair of VTX shocks that I shortened the springs on and mounted them in the CTX to see if I liked the ride height since I am inseam challenged. They bolted right on using the VTX shims that were still on the shocks.
I do like the ride height and will be checking with Progressive or some other shock mfg. to find a set that are 1 inch shorter but sprung for the weight of the CTX.

did you ever find a bike that had a bolt on shock that would fit right on ?

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
That's interesting (though I think the weight difference is actually less than 100 lbs -- 641 for the VTX1300C vs. 724 for the CTX, and the VTX1300S was even closer to 700). While you're checking, you might look into the heavy-duty springs that I believe Progressive had as an option on almost every rear shock package. That might be enough to make up the difference with the right pre-load. They also offered many height variations, both longer and shorter than stock -- I'll bet you'd have no problem finding a match to your liking.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's interesting (though I think the weight difference is actually less than 100 lbs -- 641 for the VTX1300C vs. 724 for the CTX, and the VTX1300S was even closer to 700). While you're checking, you might look into the heavy-duty springs that I believe Progressive had as an option on almost every rear shock package. That might be enough to make up the difference with the right pre-load. They also offered many height variations, both longer and shorter than stock -- I'll bet you'd have no problem finding a match to your liking.
Thanks. I have used Progressive before and will go that route again for a complete shock. I am not crazy about the way the VTX shock looks and the valving in the Progressive shocks is a lot better. I only cut these VTX shocks down so I could check out whether the ride height would work for me.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Awesome CTX transformed to damm near perfect!

Front suspension TRANSFORMED. See my new post under thread, Rear Shock Replacement.. Front fork AK20 kit installed by Traxxion Dynamics..All I can say is WOW!!!!:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
36 Posts
I won several bikes AND This fork is ( NOT ready for production )

Does anyone think that it's possible that the reason why so many people are uncomfortable with the suspension on this bike is because it's a style of suspension used more in sport bikes and most people here may be unaccustomed to such suspensions? I'm assuming most people here are either cruiser riders or maybe some sport cruiser riders. Personally, I dialed up the rear shocks to number three and I feel the ride is pretty good overall.

- I currently own a zx14 - bmw r100rs 1978 - and the ctx -
I have owned ST - FJR - VTX 13 and 1700 - Harley Bla and Bla - Must have owned 1000 motorcycles -
-
- OK Never had a bike jar the handlebars out of my left hand going over a section of rumble strip at about 40 before - ( This was coming home from the dealer -

This is how I personally rate my ctx - ps im 5-8 and 165lbs -
- Handling over smooth corners - Best cruiser - ever rode -
- Sport tourer - Best I ever rode -
- Brakes - Best sport tourer I ever rode -
- Looks - Most Stunning I ever owned -
- Fit and Finish - One of the best -
- Lighting - better than all BUT the Goldwing 1800 I had -
- Bags - OMG Cheapest I ever owned ( except for a J C Whitney plastic case I bought in the 70's out of a mail order to put on my triumph -
- Front Suspension Absolute MOST Erratic Jar up the bars I have ever felt from any production machine - This MUST be collectively reported to Honda by all of us that experienced it - if we show up at dealers one by one we will get a quote on a new bike and a coffee cup - they are a great company and will make it right - IF there is any effort put forth here I will contribute time . talent and treasure to help this because I will keep this bike and love it overall -
- Rear is on the softest setting and when I am steering around the big ones its _ Below average - BUT when I hit one that jars the bars that tells me that the sharp spike in my back is only a millisecond away - ' Sharper " than any bile I ever had also except for a hard tail triumph and a DT 400 Yamaha dirt bike - For Real :)

Again IF anyone knows how to protest Honda I believe they are a great company and will put an engineer on this -
Bill -

-

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anyone think that it's possible that the reason why so many people are uncomfortable with the suspension on this bike is because it's a style of suspension used more in sport bikees and most people here may be unaccustomed to such suspensions? I'm assuming most people here are either cruiser riders or maybe some sport cruiser riders. Personally, I dialed up the rear shocks to number three and I feel the ride is pretty good overall.
Na, these babies are very undersprung. It's one reason many of us drag pegs in the corners. I know it isn't a sportbike and should soak the bumps but they could of done a little better. I personally have not issues with the rear but the front can straight dive on me on hard braking . I was thinking fork oil but Im probably going to need better springs or maybe cartridges. I would love the AK20 kit but dropping $1200 on just the forks is a little tough right now.
I was hoping the F6B front would help but the weight difference is 100 lbs difference. That would be too stiff. I emailed Progressive. Maybe they will have good news.

Reactions: davecn

·
Registered
9 Posts
**** ya! boy do I hear you.. if I own it... I mod it... JUST ME .. but be it bike or car.. it is a relationship ... and we have to be compatible.. ok, so my bike,, and I am ~180 ,, I hate the front fork.. sloppy , floaty, and on braking the dive is just stupid deep... (when I crack it open I get it coming up ,, whutz this crap)
You may guess I am into firmer rides.. duh,, not into lincoln cont;nentls either... yep it is a cruiser but my MB suv is rock solid in a corner and pulls on ur average sports car.. boo hoo for ur 'sport sedan' not braggn (yes I am) but 50 yrs of wrentchn whatever I have, learned some trix..
... fabbed a 3 inch exhaust for my brand new Audi S5... pwr , gas milage, and sweet sweet tunes... and less than a quarter of cost of a 'fitted' exhaust.. ( did I mention it dropped 0-60 from 4.9 to 4.7.. )
where did I go ?? sorry .
k , have always dumped factory fork oil out for a higher viscosity.. same volume... it is tunable.. so if not stiff enough .. a heavier blend , bit by bit.. works for me..... well that's my 2bits...
luv you guys,, even when ur off track and sharing roomers from those who don't know the difference from a .44mag and a ss mig
cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ride solo, weigh 265 lbs and I hate the front suspension.

Reactions: Austin

·
Registered
93 Posts
gtmn here are my numbers; when checking the dive on my forks and I gave it a pretty good jolt a couple of times and we measured barely over three inch travel when jumpin up n down on the forks. The sag though , leaning the bike over on the sidestand till front tire off the floor was only a quarter of an inch. 200 pounds is my ridin weight. Haven't really found the front suspension problematic. Bike corners well, bumps and holes feel normal and not overly amplified. Do get some pogong from the rear shock but have not tried adjusting it yet. 350 miles so far. Only complaint is the vibration in the handlebars. When going over some ripply asphalt a day ago I looked down at the handlebars from where they mount on the forks and and seen a blur starting there and exaggerating exponentially as I looked towards the ends...lol, even my hands appeared blurred! The vibration has gotten better since I first got it and gloves help...the anti-vibration risers are going on soon...hope this helps gtmn...if not drink more beer!

·
Registered
279 Posts
you look at your 40 inch tv at home and think man that's a great tv
who needs more then that
then you see the 40 inch tv at the store next to the 70 inch tv
now what do you think of the 40
I guess what im saying is
if your happy with what you have and don't know any better you will never know
ride a bike with new forks next to a stock bike and you will wish you spent the money
after all people ride Honda rebels and think they are great bikes
scotch this time

·
Registered
93 Posts
you look at your 40 inch tv at home and think man that's a great tv
who needs more then that
then you see the 40 inch tv at the store next to the 70 inch tv
now what do you think of the 40
I guess what im saying is
if your happy with what you have and don't know any better you will never know
ride a bike with new forks next to a stock bike and you will wish you spent the money
after all people ride Honda rebels and think they are great bikes
scotch this time

Everybody knows that a Lamborghini is a nicer ride than a Acura RSX, And we all know an Acura RSX probably drives better than a Toyota Corolla. Saying we don't know any better is an inaccurate statement gt.

You probably drive to work everyday on the worst roads in Minnesota and changing the the front forks would make a big difference to you or say someone that does a lot of cross country.

In Florida our winters don't tear up the roads like they do in your neck of the woods. Everyday I drive down a nice well maintained toll road all the way to work, the only bumps I hit are the abutments to overpasses and a couple of intersections near where I work. There are a few potholes but I have them memorized and avoid them or slow down.

My point is all of us don't need $1500 worth of forks for a very little difference in ride. Could do some more paver work on my house with that much money.

Have had stock suspensions on all my bikes and never pulled my hair out saying I got to have a better suspension. The Magna I have has an adjustable rear shock and I like to dial it up to a stiff ride cause I like the sport type of ride it gives.

So we do know that your forks are probably better than ours, but we all do not need them. Try typing less when you drink!:smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
279 Posts
1 that was not aimed at you, just the entire suspension postings for the last year
2 this is a thread about improving front suspension
3 I don't think I have better forks then anyone
4 I do think my forks work better for me
5 like 100 posts ago I said if you like the forks you have that's fricken awesome I wish I did
6 I have also said on many occasions that traction has spring and spacer kits for these bikes for like 120 dollars
7 the drinking thing was a joke from way back
now the facts
a spring only holds the bike off the ground the valving only slows the fork in its stroke
the springs form Honda are to soft and the valving is only in one leg the other is empty
now this is all dependent on how much weight is on the bike as to what you will think about the fork
if you are 150 lbs you will not have the same feel as someone that is 300 lbs
I like my suspension a particular way so I swap in my cars and bikes because its the most important thing holding you on the road, and tire choice
millions of people drive vehicles with crap suspension every day that does not make my or anyone else's opinion wrong it just means that it is important to me
2014 ctx 160 miles new forks. no shocks yet
2014 v strom 1000 has fully adjustable suspension, not sure yet
2015 fz-07 500 miles new forks
2015 f150 4000 miles new shocks all the way around
2014 focus 5000 miles new ford performance shocks all the way around
just who I am
and don't mind spending the money to make it right and to make it mine
since we all know so much about suspension this can be my last suspension post. I know I know YAHOOOO
there is a really big bike world out there and we spend so much time making our bikes cooler for our riding buddies rather then making them better
I sure hope we all figure it out some day
I suppose Harley is making a killing at it
GTMN

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
Everybody knows that a Lamborghini is a nicer ride than a Acura RSX, And we all know an Acura RSX probably drives better than a Toyota Corolla. Saying we don't know any better is an inaccurate statement gt.

You probably drive to work everyday on the worst roads in Minnesota and changing the the front forks would make a big difference to you or say someone that does a lot of cross country.

In Florida our winters don't tear up the roads like they do in your neck of the woods. Everyday I drive down a nice well maintained toll road all the way to work, the only bumps I hit are the abutments to overpasses and a couple of intersections near where I work. There are a few potholes but I have them memorized and avoid them or slow down.

My point is all of us don't need $1500 worth of forks for a very little difference in ride. Could do some more paver work on my house with that much money.

Have had stock suspensions on all my bikes and never pulled my hair out saying I got to have a better suspension. The Magna I have has an adjustable rear shock and I like to dial it up to a stiff ride cause I like the sport type of ride it gives.

So we do know that your forks are probably better than ours, but we all do not need them. Try typing less when you drink!:smiley-party0005:
Don't mind gtmn. He's picky about his suspensions. Where you (and I) are happy as clams with stock setups and never touch them, he's one of those guys who always upgrades them (although I did once replace the stock front and rear on one of my VTX's, which, by the way, I felt absolutely zero improvement from).

This is the first bike I've owned that I haven't made any major changes to. Before this, I futzed with all of them in one way or another (bars, grips, seats, fuel managers, bodywork, etc), so I kinda get where he's coming from. We don't want to discourage guys like him from sharing their findings and fixes, because 1, there could very well be other owners out there with the same concerns; and 2, somebody might touch on something that's of more interest to you and me that we'd never know about if they didn't share.

Believe me, I've gone a few rounds with a couple of members here who swore up and down that the CTX1300 has the worst suspension that was ever put on any bike ever made. It obviously isn't that, and gtmn isn't one of those guys.

It's all good. ;). :smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 that was not aimed at you, just the entire suspension postings for the last year
2 this is a thread about improving front suspension

I sure hope we all figure it out some day

GTMN

oh, oh okay, I'm glad I replied nicely then....lol

Did read the entire thread and thought your idea of having everyone post their numbers as far as front fork collapse with the zip tie and the sag was a great idea, pretty sure after three pages in this thread that I was only the third person to post their numbers!

Pretty much expected a reply to the numbers in my post and not about the addition of my personal preferences of stock suspension.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread, don't really want to read all three pages again......

3" collapse and only 1/4" sag

The sag is pretty small thought you said yours was one inch, but with everyone adding their serial numbers to their posts we could find out if the apparent suspension problems were associated with certain production runs, just thought it was good idea of yours, maybe you forgot cause it was like 2 pages ago...Have a great weekend gt

·
Registered
279 Posts
when you sit on the bike
pump the forks up and down
with as much weight off the ground as you can, have someone slide the zip tie to the top of the fork
then lean the bike over that is your sag
top of the fork to the zip tie is your sag
it will be more then an inch
these are pretty crude numbers but will give an idea of what you have , nor can we adjust what we have so setting a race sag is not possible
this is just to get an idea
also while the tie is on the fork go for a spirited ride and see how far the tie drops to the bottom of the fork
when done lean the bike over and see how much travel you have used. you only have 4 inches to play with an I bet you used it op
my zip ties are on my forks all the times and I use a lot of the suspension
the idea is you want to use the entire travel without bottoming out
I also think that changing suspension is the last thing people are interested in and trust that the maker of the bike
it cost almost nothing for these bike makers to create these suspensions
why cruiser guys are ok with it is beyond me
when you say 1/4 sag I think you are taking about after the bikes sag
if you are riding and hitting large bumps and not feeling the big hits you are likely good to go
mine bottomed over every thing
this is of course just information for all who cares
this is not a track bike and will likely never be ridden as one

61 - 80 of 108 Posts