CTX 1300 Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's been said before: prior to concluding you need to change the front suspension or (?!?) sell the bike, just take the **** bar-end weights off. It eliminates much of the amplification effect that can make impacts seem so jarring through the front end. THEN decide if you need to do more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pulled off end weights today ..amazing difference

I've read all the posts on the suspension and there were several posts recommending removal of the bar weights. There have been a few times where bar vibrations have almost threw my hands off the grips. A bumpy road was almost unbearable and if my fingers were on the brake, or clutch handles it was very painful. As one member described it as grabbing a ringing tuning fork. Went for a ride without the weights today and this problem is GONE. Travelled on all the roads where it happened prior and experienced no annoying slapping from the bars. Thrilled this works, thanks to all you mentioned this.

As to you question, I used battery operated, clutch chuck drill with the 4.5 mm hex head bit to back out the bolts. Pushed a pointed tool similar to a dentist pick between the spring clip and the bar to create a gap to insert a jewelers screwdriver. Used the screwdriver to reach and separate the spring barb. Then needle nose pliers to work both sides of the clip out about 1/8". Using the weights as a slide impact they came right out. Hopefully the pictures will help if you end up doing this.

Most of the weight is at the ends though, I may have not had to remove the guts to stop the problem but now I have almost an endless selection of custom bar ends :)

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
going to upgrade suspension

HI I just wanted to let everyone know I just purchased a traxxion dynamics kit ak20 for my ctx 1300 I bought beginning last summer. then I bought f6b end of summer and kept my ctx 1300 this will be my first install or fork upgrade. and I am going to install myself. AS I tend not to keep my bikes very long. when I finish I will update you on the rebuild and ride difference. and traxxion has been very helpful in answering my questions. and calling me right back when I call them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just returned from a two hour ride after removing the bar end weights this morning and the improvement is great enough that I'm now okay with the forks. I'd never imagined that the improvement could be this dramatic. Removing the inside section can be difficult but I found it easiest to partially unscrew the end weight enough to insert the end of a screwdriver against it and use a hammer to rap out the internal part. Anyone still having the weights installed really should try their bike after removing them; it's a huge improvement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
HI I just wanted to let everyone know I just purchased a traxxion dynamics kit ak20 for my ctx 1300 I bought beginning last summer. then I bought f6b end of summer and kept my ctx 1300 this will be my first install or fork upgrade. and I am going to install myself. AS I tend not to keep my bikes very long. when I finish I will update you on the rebuild and ride difference. and traxxion has been very helpful in answering my questions. and calling me right back when I call them.

Any update on the your work and the results?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guy's,
just thought I would let you know what I have changed on my CTX to help out the front suspension. I replaced the fork oil with 5w with no shims added and this helped about 70%. the bike felt good over bumps but still had the handle bars vibrating over corrugations, if I held onto the handle bars closer to the triple clamps I couldn't feel the vibrations. I took off the bar end weights and took it for a ride and no vibrations through the bars over the same corrugations but I could feel the engine vibrating through them now. The original bar end weights are very heavy compared to most other bikes that I have owned so I purchased some lighter aftermarket bar ends and fitted them on. The bike now feels great over any bumps or corrugations at the front, I can still feel some slight engine vibrations but only minor which I can live with since now the bike is a joy to ride and the roads in Australia are quite crappy.
hope this can help as it was a cheap fix.

see ya

Colin
Hey Colin
It’s been some time now I know but if you could give us an update about the suspension now you have some K’s under its belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took the CTX to Florence Honda (where I bought it) and asked them to take a look at the front forks. They did a little research and ended up adding 25 mm shims and 5w fork oil. Here is my assessment after I did the 90 mile ride home. Smooth surface ride is improved. Now the small stuff doesn't even register. I crossed 4 bridges on the trip and was bracing for the shocks from the expansion joints. Surprise! These types of road imperfections are now tamed. Then I started hitting on purpose larger holes and cracks. You still get a harsh feedback but I would say it is 50% reduced. Totally worth the $180 cost. Give Rusty a call. :smiley-happy0034:
Wouldn’t it be great if the dealers, financially assisted by the manufacturer, set up the ride height for you before you part with your hard earned money. I know the idea is “Get them to come back and spend more money to personalise the bike to suit their individual riding style.” Well we can now see that doesn’t do the marketing of a great bike any good.
Honda are not the only manufacturers guilty of this and the dealers don’t make it any better by employing a it’s not my problem attitude.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts