CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My complaint about the ctx 1300 was the fromt suspension was way too harsh.several times a series of moderate bumps would shock my hands almost off the grips.Service advisor suggested a 5W fork oil.Two hours labor and the cost of the oil.Big improvement.Rode it thru the mountains and some good turns and the response was the same as before,but the jarring shock from bumps is gone.quite pleased with the result.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the update. I too have been considering the 5W fork oil change, and e-mailed one of the members here that had made the oil change, but he is no longer a member here as he must have sold the bike.

You have made my mind up with regard to getting the jarring of the front suspension fixed! I wanted to know if it eliminated that part of the ride, as sometimes the front suspension seems to be just fine, but ride on the Interstate at 70 mph with a lot of the seams and it will rattle your hands numb very quickly.

I am leaving for Airventure Oshkosh WI this a.m., 460 miles and the weather looks sweet, so should be a good ride. I may keep the bike if I think I can get this issue fixed, which it sounds like the modification solves the problem. That being said, I put $25,000 in the checking account yesterday in case I get pissed off and just stop at another dealer and trade out for my ride home :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I removed the weights at the ends of the handle bars and it made a huge difference.

Reactions: smr1870

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Bar end weights on any bike are to reduce or eliminate harmonic vibration and engine vibration coming up through the frame to the bars. Some fill the bars with ball bearings to help in severe cases or to replace the end weights and some riders (as some here have done) simply remove the weights and feel the engine vibrations instead of the road shocks. Seems you get one or the other. Some bars are shorter and don't need as much weight, but ours are longer so need heavier weights. Even with rubber mounts bar end weights help with all this on most bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
im not going to beat a dead horse again but i have heard all the reported fixes on the front suspension but its isn't it a little bit pathetic to buy a 16000 bike and come to find out the front suspension is horrible. i love the bikes looks and the way it handle as all have said but Honda should be ashamed to put out a bike with this kind of front end. it should be a warranty item as a car dealership would have it. why should i pay a Honda dealer to put 5w oil and change this or that when Honda knew the front end wasn't right? i am pissed and everyone hear says it will get better well i have 2000 miles on it and its not better and almost breaks your hands when riding the bike i have wrote Honda and like any other manufacturer they wont respond. i built cars and trucks for 42 years and i assure you we had to respond to any complaint.

·
Registered
93 Posts
im not going to beat a dead horse again but i have heard all the reported fixes on the front suspension but its isn't it a little bit pathetic to buy a 16000 bike and come to find out the front suspension is horrible. i love the bikes looks and the way it handle as all have said but Honda should be ashamed to put out a bike with this kind of front end. it should be a warranty item as a car dealership would have it. why should i pay a Honda dealer to put 5w oil and change this or that when Honda knew the front end wasn't right? i am pissed and everyone hear says it will get better well i have 2000 miles on it and its not better and almost breaks your hands when riding the bike i have wrote Honda and like any other manufacturer they wont respond. i built cars and trucks for 42 years and i assure you we had to respond to any complaint.

Hondas $hit suspension caused me to switch brands. Lost my a$$ but glad I did.:smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 3,000 on mine and it's great now. My last bike was a Victory Boardwalk the CTX has a better ride than it. I have never had a perfect bike in the last 35 years but this one sure is a great ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The suspension is certainly a negative . even for me. Granted it's a cruise and should soak up the bumps but mine will rock like a seesaw . I'll be going with a progressive spring or maybe a stiffer spring in the front with a rebound cap. The rear I am playing with rebound . If I'm not happy I'll do the Ohlins .
Sure it's a flaw by the bean counters but it's fixable and not a reason to trade off. You'll never hear of these engines exploding . The frame is heavy but good. Changing the oil filter can be awkward but a good frame.
I've been using my CTX as a super commuter lately. Stock stuff has been great for it. If you do mostly highway all it needs is an adjustment and rebound caps for the front. I'm sure someone makes them for another bike that'll fit the CTX.

Reactions: Jim Regan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I will tell you all for what its worth if you think about getting rid of this bike because of the suspension your nuts
the monetary loss along with what you give up for another bike is crazy
there are a lot of very cool bikes out there but they are not the ctx
if you actually fix the fork it is amazing
I cant think of a bike out there that will give you what the ctx will
you can find faster and you can find sportier but they will not give you what you already paid for

when I go to mnstock if there are other ctx riders there willing to do a side by side comparison with me
then im up to the challenge
the roads down there are some really good roads so it may be harder to tell
but im up for it
if someone else rides mine and tells you guys there is a difference maybe you guys will like my answer as to how to fix this bike
there is no way I would loose 5k when I could spend 1500 dollars and have the bike I want
we all bought a premium bike so we on this forum have some money
spend it on the fork. do not lose your money, to get anything like it you will be into 20k for a beemer, no thanks
so come on up to mnstock and ride it
you may just be hooked
yes Honda should have done a better job.
remember if you love your bike the way it is then disregard this

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
The suspension is certainly a negative . even for me. Granted it's a cruise and should soak up the bumps but mine will rock like a seesaw . I'll be going with a progressive spring or maybe a stiffer spring in the front with a rebound cap. The rear I am playing with rebound . If I'm not happy I'll do the Ohlins .
Sure it's a flaw by the bean counters but it's fixable and not a reason to trade off. You'll never hear of these engines exploding . The frame is heavy but good. Changing the oil filter can be awkward but a good frame.
I've been using my CTX as a super commuter lately. Stock stuff has been great for it. If you do mostly highway all it needs is an adjustment and rebound caps for the front. I'm sure someone makes them for another bike that'll fit the CTX.
A friend of mine rode mine and said he thought the front springs could be stiffer, too, mainly because he thought it dove too much when you get on the brakes. Which makes no sense to me when the biggest complaint about this bike seems to be the jarring some people feel in the bars, which suggests to me that it's already too stiff. I don't know -- mine sure feels fine to me, even on some pretty crappy roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok im not going to say anymore about the front end but i will say like auto i assume you can buy a good one then someone else can buy the same model and get a bummer. right now i have a bummer ( ride) only not looks or the way it shifts etc. i love the bike just not the darn crappy roads i have to ride on. enough about this hope all will have a great weekend and safe riding.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay enough already wimpyhonda.... You've bitched enough about the front suspension. We all know you hated it, we get that. Clearly you have moved on to something else. Hope your satisfied with your purchase.

DAM dude just stating my opp if you like your CTX1300 great I DID NOT.

·
Registered
283 Posts
YES Togojeff. Rox antivibe risers are the ultimate solution. Less complaining...just buy them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a question about the rox antivibe risers do you only take the handle bars risers on the bike loose then install the rox risers onto the factory set up? i guess i am confussed

1 - 20 of 65 Posts