CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CTX 1300 Deluxe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone who does their own wheel removal/install could weigh in here on an issue I am experiencing? I recently removed both wheels to have tires replaced. Note: I do have the service manual and also watched HansenCTX's YouTube video for reference. Great last name BTW. Spelling needs to be fixed though!:)

The service manual (page 16-19) notes the front axle when installed should be flush with the fork leg. For the life of me, I could not get it exactly flush with the folk. I didn't measure exactly but after install, it's sticking out like 1/32"-1/16". I tried multiple times to pull out and reinstall, tap it in, moving the wheel as I did so etc. but could not get it fully flush. The rear axle definitely seated in flush very easily.

So, 1/32" may not seem like much, but I'm concerned it could be enough to cause the axle to move and work the nut loose as I'm riding. This is the first time I've done this on this bike, so I didn't remember/see if it was exactly flush when I first removed. Is anyone else's front axle sticking out slightly like this? Other checkpoints after install were good, and after a short test ride applying the brakes hard several times, I rechecked the axle nut for looseness and all was fine. I can certainly test ride several times, but not sure when to feel comfortable. Mind you, I had a very old bike with a drum type brake on the front. A bolt on the brake arm came loose and when I applied the brake at highway speed, the front wheel locked up on me and down I went. Yikes! Bad experience that I don't want to repeat ever........especially at 60 yrs. old when the body hurts even without going down!..........

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just took a look at my front axle. The axle is just proud of the fork... I could not measure it but maybe 1 mm.
I wonder if there is any dirt that is taking up the 1/32"-1/16' ?
Other than possible dirt it sounds like you did everything correctly.
Glen

·
Registered
CTX 1300 Deluxe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Glen. There shouldn’t be any dirt/material in there ‘cuz I wiped the fork holes clean before reinserting the axle. I measured more precisely tonight with my gap tool and it is right at .08mm-1mm. Same as yours, so if someone else chimes in with same placement, then I’ll feel it is resolved. I included a pic here, but it’s hard to get an in focus close up shot with my phone. The cord is just my battery tender wires.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Outdoor shoe Wood Floor

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Mine sticks out the same as yours and I've had it off many times. The two bolts on the front of each fork, clamping down on the axle. That axle isn't going to turn and loosen the bolt and it isn't going to slide out.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Greg, Thanks for the response. This additional confirmation is helps my confidence level greatly.
This has me thinking about an interview with a dirt bike racer. Some early dirt bikes had a front fork like a bicycle. The front axle slid up into a fork and was held in by the end bolt only, just like a bicycle. No redundancy.
He made a jump in a race and the front wheel came off in mid air. Ouch!

·
Registered
CTX 1300 Deluxe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the old saying goes, “Better late than never”! Thank you for the additional confirmation. I’m kind of surprised the service manual said it should be flush. Could be reasons it does, but typically they are so accurate to other aspects such as torque and clearance values.

I’m good and feel safe though. That was my original concern. I’ve made a note in my manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts