CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a owners manual so i looked it up on line.... everything on the internet is true馃槈. I don't Think i read it wrong. It says unleaded fuel 91 octane or higher. Is anyone using regular or should i be using higher octane gas? Coming from the 700 i know things will be different. so i just want to make sure Blu is around for a long time and I'm doing things right.

Registered
You may have found a spec from a non US model. There is a difference between European RON ratings & US octane ratings. Do a quick search for RON to Octane conversion & you'll see what I mean. I have a copy of the Australian ("Unleaded petrol RON 91 or higher") owners manual so I can't say for sure what's in the US owners manual. That being said personally I run at least 91. I've tried 87 and 89 several times. When rolling on the throttle knocking & pinging is present. As always individual results may vary.

Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
The manuals (owners and service) for USA models both do say regular 87 octane (PON) for this engine. I made sure of that when I bought my CTX since the ST1300 needed premium. The ST1300 was tuned differently and required premium fuel (91+ octane). BUT there are many ST1300 owners who used 87 octane with no issues as well. At least on occassion. Also, it does make a difference depending on altitude. In MOST areas of the country 87 should be fine. At high altitude, such as in much of Colorado and other places where the air is thinner, regular gas is rated as 85 PON and gives the same result as 87 PON where I live (Iowa). BTDT. It would make sense to me that if you are right at sea level you might need to use 91 PON. But IMO there are other things happening that may need to be checked to be sure nothing is out of tune if that is the case, or check that the fuel is not bad. Spark plugs have an effect on it since higher octane gas needs a hotter plug since it has a higher flash point, which will cause pinging and run-on if lower octane gas is used with those plugs. Also in that case, the ECM would have to adjust to accommodate for this situation. Don't use ST1300 spark plugs in the CTX1300 for that reason. In Huntsville, AL you should be fine and get the best results using 87 octane.

Here is a web page with charts that show the difference between USA and Euro ratings. In Europe octane is calculated as RON (Research Octane Number). There is another rating called MON (Motor Octane Number). In the USA the formula used is adding RON and MON and dividing by 2 to get PON (Pump Octane Number) and you'll see this indicated on many, but not all, pumps in the USA as (R+M)/2 = PON

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

-

Super Moderator
I run 87 here in North America.. and try to stick to a Top Tier gasoline (Chevron, Shell, QT, Costco) https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

But I have put the sketchiest of sketchy gas in the bike and have NEVER had a problem.

Registered
I have over 13K miles on my CTX1300 Deluxe and have used noting but 87 octane without any knocking or any performance issues with most of my riding up in the North Georgia Mountains. I agree with CaliChaos in that I try to stick to a Top Tier gasoline and buy most of my fuel from Costco due to location and price. I hope this helps.

Registered
I see this is an old thread and may not get a response.

I'm confused as to which gas to use on my CTX1300D. On the refueling page shows that the engine was designed to run on 91 or higher, quite a few members are running regular 87. I do not want to waste money unnecessarily, if I do not have to run 91 or higher is fine with me.

Which gas is everyone running?

Font Eyewear Automotive design Automotive lighting Auto part

Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
I see this is an old thread and may not get a response.

I'm confused as to which gas to use on my CTX1300D. On the refueling page shows that the engine was designed to run on 91 or higher, quite a few members are running regular 87. I do not want to waste money unnecessarily, if I do not have to run 91 or higher is fine with me.

Which gas is everyone running?

View attachment 47314
91 PON is what was officially required for the ST1300. The compression and other changes made for the CTX1300 enabled this engine to run just fine on 87 PON. In different countries octane is reported differently, although the actual quality of the fuel is the same. In Europe a 91 RON is the same as 87 PON, or regular fuel. I don't remember what my owner manual stated but the service manual for the CTX1300 says regular, 87 octane for the USA. IF you use 87 in yours and you have run-on or detonation when you shut off the engine then bump it up to the 91 PON.

BTW- PON = (RON + MON) / 2. RON is used in Europe and several other countries. MON is used in racing and other high performance fields and also in yet a few other countries. The USA uses the average between those 2... thus the formula you will see on most gas pumps. Here is a chart for conversion.

Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

Premium Member
I heard pinging in my first year of ownership when I ran US regular gas. Thus I switched to midrange gasoline throughout my ownership - 53k miles. One year ago, at 48k miles, leakdown test showed 10% loss in #2 cylinder, 8% in #3, which means new rings in the future. May not be related, but in the same neighborhood. Cost me some, but then I've gotten a lot of use out of this machine.

Registered
I heard pinging in my first year of ownership when I ran US regular gas. Thus I switched to midrange gasoline throughout my ownership - 53k miles. One year ago, at 48k miles, leakdown test showed 10% loss in #2 cylinder, 8% in #3, which means new rings in the future. May not be related, but in the same neighborhood. Cost me some, but then I've gotten a lot of use out of this machine.
I have mostly used regular for the 48K miles I have put on the bike. I will now put midgrade (89) in the tank when I am on rides that include mountains and a sporty attitude because I started noticing some pinging when passing on an incline. Downshifting cures it, but I have gotten used to just twisting the throttle on this beast. :) I should probably check the valve clearances (have not done it yet) and have a compression test, but I tell myself its a Honda.

Premium Member
Just regular 87 on mine. I just have 19,000 miles on it though. I have run higher octane a couple of times when it wasn鈥檛 a huge difference in price. I didn鈥檛 notice any difference. No pinging, runs great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: robbyk

Super Moderator
at 55K my machine has never gotten anything above 87 at the pump. Ridden coast to coast, deserts, mountains and everything in between. I am not every shy to apply the throttle and have never got a single ping or hesitation. I do attempt to get Top TIER gas if possible. But I have put the crappiest of crappy shady gas station fuel in the bike and also never had a problem.

more reading on octane:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts