CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished the install for my Gerbing heated gloves and finally getting around to posting some photos of it.

I re-did the front option connector to allow connecting both my GPS and my Gerbing controller in the ACC line there. Here you can see the GPS power module and the coil of wire pairs for both the GPS and Gerbing controller. Both devices only use about 1.5 amps max so the 10 amp fuse on the ACC line is more than enough for both. At the top of the photo is the front option plug unplugged.

And here it is plugged in.

Laying on the frame tube just under the receiver for the seat tab is the Gerbing heat controller power cable as it will be when not in use. I made sure the seat does not come close to touching or rubbing this location.

I put a patch of Dual-Lock (left over from the stock I bought to install the tall shield) on the fuel door and also on the back of the variable controller.

This is what it looks like with the variable controller mounted and plugged in.

And here is with the seat installed. The cable with the white tape is what plugs into the pigtail that runs through my jacket to the heated gloves. Mounted this way I can see the LED light next to the control knob to see the setting. It flashes slower or faster showing lower or higher settings and then is solid on for the max setting.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Very pro installation, looks great!

Eric

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, Bob, how did you run the wire from the battery back to the seat area? Which panels did you have to remove?

Thanks,
pete

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
502 Posts
I had to remove the inner battery cover, left middle cowl, left shroud, set and loosen top cowl. I mounted by Gerbring controller on the front master cylinder cover. Plug-in was by the left side sticking out from the bottom of the seat.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, Bob, how did you run the wire from the battery back to the seat area? Which panels did you have to remove?

Thanks,
pete
When I ran the cable in the photos above I did remove both inner panels and the top shelter. Just pulled the top shelter back enough to get to the front option plug (indicated in other threads and photos in my flickr albums). I needed one pin in the front option plug to trigger the relays for all my electrical add-ons. There are a few members here who just removed the battery cover and possibly the left storage box and fished a pull wire along the left frame tube to where I have that black cable coming out above. That would be if going just from the battery to under the seat. I had a few more locations to get to so removed a little more. My ST1100 panels were similar to the CTX in that the tank is under the seat and it's all air box under the plastic top shelter. I did fish a few wires along the left frame member to under the seat on that bike without removing the top shelter, only the left panel that corresponds to the battery cover on the CTX since I only needed those wires from there to under the seat, and eventually to the battery located on the left side below the seat (I did also remove the left side panel on the ST to get to the battery but you would not need to do this on the CTX).

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are a few members here who just removed the battery cover and possibly the left storage box and fished a pull wire along the left frame tube to where I have that black cable coming out above.
I was pretty sure I read this somewhere, but couldn't find it. I'll just start by removing as little as possible and see what I find.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I was pretty sure I read this somewhere, but couldn't find it. I'll just start by removing as little as possible and see what I find.
About a week ago I added wiring for my fancy new gloves and not new but still fancy Gerbing liner. I was able to just remove the battery compartment cover and the little compartment box or whatever it's called between the battery cover and the top box. Then, I used a lightweight, very flexible, fiberglass fish tape to get the wire down to my seat. It took a couple tries but worked fine. If you are using the Gerbing supplied wiring, the only problem I had was the large size of the connector on the wire that will connect to your controller. It's large size with the cover attached to it was the only reason it took me a couple tries to get it through. It only took about ten minutes to wire everything up and tonight I'll find out if my labor has worked. Should be around 30 degrees or so on my way home from work tonight so probably won't need the liner but the gloves will certainly be welcome!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not having fish tape, I used a coat hanger, seemed to work fine just removing battery cover and compartment (which was very easy). I do think that the plastic on the left (mirror, inner, etc.) all seems a bit looser than on the right at this point.

Oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts