CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday I decided to take a longer ride on my new CTX, wanting to get some miles on it for the 600 mile service. So, first thing I do is check the tire pressure. Sure enough both tires were low. Not to worry, I'll just get out my hand pump and give them a few pumps to bring the pressure up. Nope. I couldn't attach it to the valve stem because the wheels don't give much room at that point. Not to worry, I just fill the tires when I get gas. So off to the gas station. It was a struggle since the air hose was the kind that had to be pushed straight on. I couldn't bend the tip of the hose enough to get a tight fit on the valve stem. Rode to another gas station and they had the same type of air hose. So I went to the Honda dealer figuring they would have a hose fitting that would work. Got my air and went on my merry way.

But this leads me to ask those of you who have had your CTX for a while: What do you use to get air in the tires? The wheels on my NC700 allowed plenty of room for an air hose to fit. The CTX appears a little more cramped. Also, any suggestions on a reasonably priced small capacity air compressor? I only need one to inflate tires, no heavy duty work.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
@revdan,
The problem is more common than you think.
Here is one good solution:
Motorcycle Inflation Tools at ValvePal
I went to HF and bought a short chuck that works, but not as well as the valvepal (according to a friend). Take a look and see what you think.

· Registered
282 Posts
At least in my garage the tires come to rest at exactly the wrong position way more often than probability would predict. Two things help. Bought a digital pressure gauge with 90-degree bend. I have an air compressor but had to track down a short, flat chuck. Fortunately, the tire pressure stays pretty close to recommended...usually only off by a couple of pounds.

· Registered
797 Posts
I've had a few bikes with very tight spaces around the valve stems. Back in the '90s I found a kit at Wal Mart that had some nice quick-connect fittings for the hose that work with this bike.

· Registered
432 Posts
As in all my previous bikes, I'm having the dealer install 90 degree valve stems when the bike is delivered.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Yep, a common problem with many cast wheels on bikes. My GL1500 had 90 deg stems so no issues there. My Burgman and ST1100 were the same as my CTX. Replaced the stems on both of those with the same metal stems that Phil ( @TennX ) mentioned and they worked really well. My wife's Honda Metropolitan scooter is REALLY tight for getting air into the tires, more than anything I've had yet, so I put those same stems on that as well. For this time around I bought these 83deg Aluminum Racing Angled Valve Stems to put on at the next tire change. Like the way these look and think they'll blend in really well with the CTX look.

For an inexpensive air pump I use a Slime mini air compressor that I keep on the bike all the time. It does need a 15 amp 12v socket to plug into. I also used to use a battery powered air compressor that I bought at Walmart. It still works but the air chuck is worn and won't stay on the stem any more. I know it's a simple replacement but didn't see the immediate need to fix it since my third option that I actually use most is a Bosch Air compressor that I use with a nail gun and also I have the fittings for an air chuck to fill tires, looks like a ball end with the opening at 90 deg same as what USED to be at the station and still is often seen at tire stores.

I keep the front at 40 psi and the rear tire at 42 psi and find the front holds air really well and rarely have to adjust that one but the rear seems to loose 3+ psi in a week so I pump that up every weekend. Temps have a big effect on psi as well, especially with the rear tire, so if it's cold I adjust both tires and if it warms up I adjust again.

· Registered
446 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helpful information. Looks like I'll be adding a couple of things to my necessary tool collection. I especially appreciated the video that Chris Hansen put together. Everyone has been quite helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.