CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Having installed a similar unit on my former Honda CB1100 did you run through the installation process where the unit "learns" the gear positions? If the display is counting down, then it's not programmed yet.

Setup

You need to setup the module after installation. When ignition is turned on, the display counts backwards (6 to 1) indicating that the memory is clear.
-
Raise the rear wheel off the ground by using a stand, and start the
engine in Neutral. (If you do not have a stand, you may setup the unit while riding. Find a long, straight road with light traffic).
-
The display will blink “1”. Select first gear, release the clutch, and keep the RPM above idle speed. The display is blinking faster while the unit is learning the gear.
-
When the display shows “2”, select second gear. Repeat this process until all gears are thought (5 or 6). If your bike has 5 gears, wait until “6” is blinking, then pull the clutch in and turn ignition off. If your bike has 6 gears, wait until “o” (over) is indicated. The unit is programmed and should indicate the gears correctly.

Now, when ignition is turned on, the display counts forward (1 to 6) indicating
that it is fully functional.

Aloha,
Huladog

· Premium Member
324 Posts
I am very interested how the programing turns out. keep us updated if this is really possible . And if anyone knows of a better product.

Reactions: royst1100

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The unit does not enter the programming mode but defaults to a flashing "F" indicating that it is not receiving the necessary input from the ECM on the bike. I have been in contact with the manufacturer and am in the process of sorting the problem hopefully. As part of the process I also purchased their OBD tool, which initially did not work but after a software fix is now accepting data from the ECM. They seem to think that the gear indicator hardware version that I have is not compatible but are sending me an updated version. Fingers crossed. The gear indicator plugs into the diagnostic port under the seat. Much easier than splicing into the engine speed and wheel speed sensors. As soon as it is sorted I will post the outcome.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replacement unit with updated hardware version received this morning. set up and working great. Hardware version C19. OBD tool is now also working and all engine parameters can now be read through the diagnostic port. This required updated software to work with the CTX 1300.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Kinda cool, and maybe useful...there are times when.... But I wouldn't add it while under warranty.

· Registered
116 Posts
Nice find! The gear indicator was the only thing I didn't like about the bike. For 159 that's a small price to pay to solve that over the life of my CTX..

I just ordered one with a white LED. I will post some pictures after I put it on. Since it's just a plugin unit, if I take the bike in for service I can just unplug it that should take care any warranty issues.

http://shop.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/GIPro-DS-Series-for-Honda_p_20.html

Tony

· Registered
412 Posts
I've never had a gear indicator on a motorcycle (aside from Neutral). Doesn't a tachometer and a relative sense of your available gears pretty much give you that?

Not critiquing, just genuinely curious why folks find this useful.

Jeff

· Premium Member
204 Posts
Nice find! The gear indicator was the only thing I didn't like about the bike. For 159 that's a small price to pay to solve that over the life of my CTX..

I just ordered one with a white LED. I will post some pictures after I put it on. Since it's just a plugin unit, if I take the bike in for service I can just unplug it that should take care any warranty issues.

http://shop.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/GIPro-DS-Series-for-Honda_p_20.html

Tony
Awesome! Would love to see pics before I pull the trigger.

· Premium Member
204 Posts
I've never had a gear indicator on a motorcycle (aside from Neutral). Doesn't a tachometer and a relative sense of your available gears pretty much give you that?

Jeff
Hey Jeff, for me it comes down to one less thing to worry about. I like to know exactly where I am gear wise at all times in case I need to make a quick decision and for coming up on turns. The bike shifts so smoothly and it's pretty quiet so sometimes I thought I was in one gear but was in another, I find myself trying to keep track of where I am at all times instead of thinking about things I should be. Just cheap peace of mind.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
I with Jeffz on this. I agree a gear indicator would be nice, but to me adding one is not worth the cost. The most I've had is Neutral indicator so I simply have been used to just knowing what gear I'm in without even looking based on speed and engine sound... even with earplugs. For me it would simply cause me to become complacent and dependent on it and forget to "know" without it what gear I'm in forcing me to always have to look at the indicator. I just know how I am. Other riders will be different... guaranteed.

· Premium Member
204 Posts
For me I guess it stems from me wanting to have full control over whatever vehicle I'm driving. That's one reason why I've always preferred stick shift in a truck or car, I like to have more control. We take for granted knowing what hear we're in I feel, like when I'm driving my truck I know where it is because I can see the stick position and if I'm driving an automatic car what do I care. But on a motorcycle you can't see "stick" position so that's my attraction to a gear indicator, to know what gear I'm in at any time. That way I don't have to do quick calculations of my speed, engine sound combined with tachometer readings if I'm focused on something else. It allows for a more free riding experience. Why do more work when you don't have to.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts

Jeff
Once in a great while I take off at a stop sign only to discover I have not downshifted to first. Can be inconvenient or more. Would be nice to glance down at the number.

O/W I would not use it while riding...like you, I use the tach instead.

· Registered
116 Posts
I have a gear indicator on my Harley and I find it very convenient when I ride. When I ride the CTX I find myself having to count and monitor the engine sound for the difference between gears. I find 3rd and 4th gear the hardest especially when decelerating before a on ramp with this it all that goes away.

Tony

· Registered
17 Posts
What I want to see is how nice can this indicator would fit on the CTX. On a side note I have to admit that the indicator should be integrated into the TFT screen on the dash, regardless of what I and other people think, it seems like a lot of riders are interested in a gear indicator, are you listening Honda? Even though I don't see the significance of it, it doesn't heart to have one. Its a shame that my Chinese 125 cc motorcycle had it and the big CTX doesn't.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.