CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Givi USA folks just confirmed that a CTX 1300 carrier is manufactured and should be available in 3 - 6 weeks. It apparently has a higher weight rating than the Honda version and will accommodate the Monokey top cases. This is already advertised in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I guess I have never removed the bags on my ST (except for maintenance) since I never stay at a motel when travelling on the bike where I would even want to take the bags in. My GW had permanently mounted/bolted on bags AND top case so I just got used to that. So I haven't seen the need for easily removable bags. I'm happy with the mounting as is. It's only 2 bolts for maintenance. But I do know some ST riders who do like to carry their bags a motel with them. And if you have the top case on the CTX, it is removable. Though if I had the Honda or Givi top case on my CTX I would not likely remove that either. I did have a Givi on my Burgman and a Bestem top case on my ST and, again, only removed those for maintenance. I do still have my Givi top case liner and simply took that out to take with me. If you can find some liners for the paniers that fit well enough that should satisfy the need to bring all contents with you after parking the bike, like most GW owners I know. I just use a few stuff sacks with all I want to carry away from the bike at my campsite and those are easy to carry. There's always some things I find I don't ever take out of the bags and wouldn't need to take into a motel (or tent) with me since they are only for use on the bike... like tire repair kit, jumper cables, tool kit, etc. IMHO. :)

On the Givi announcement... Happy to hear it. I'm not sure I'll be adding a top case but if I did want another more expensive case I'd go for the Givi. I anticipate their base bracket would mount in place of the Honda luggage rack, and would expect their mounting bracket to be stronger than that luggage rack. I think the weight limits are partly due to liability and partly to the way the luggage rack mounting points are way forward and the load is hanging way back and there is cantilever leverage happening. On the Wing the top case mounting bolts to frame were mostly under the front 2/3 of the case and the similar on both my Burgman with Givi and ST with the Bestem with the mounting base bolts to the frame within the front half of the case itself. On the CTX top case the mounting bolts to the frame are the luggage rack bolts that are well in front of the case with nothing (really) directly under the case to the frame. So the luggage rack would seem to me to be the weak point. Even though it's a fairly sturdy rack it's still not as strong as the frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts