CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am Steve. I live in the Mid-Hudson River Valley area of New York State.

I have been following the CTX 1300 since its introduction, but wanted to learn more before I get serious about buying one. I like the engine concept, but am not such a fan of that stock windscreen.

This bike is a bit heavier than I like but it seems to be able to do many things well, and it is that versatility that I find intriguing.

So I am here to learn more and to find out the specifics of what actual owners admire and dislike about this new design.

Thanks,
STEVE

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hi Steve,

mostly my decision to buy the CTX1300 was driven by the price ($10.5K for a new deluxe) which was by far the best deal in the touring/sport-touring arena for new models.
Because of that, all the things I didn't like much about the CTX1300 didn't matter anymore. I replaced the stock windscreen with the tall one (very good) and installed the central stand.
About the heaviness, the first time I sat on a CTX1300 at the dealer shop I thought it was too heavy but now I don't feel that as a problem anymore. You will get used to it.

In short what I like: unique modern style and it has all I was looking for: ABS, integrated saddle bags, traditional gauges, hydraulic clutch, 5 gears, shaft, lower seat.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the foroum, Steve!

The V-4 engine is simply wonderful in this bike. You just have to ride it to fully appreciate what it brings over the big twins. As for the windshield, I don't know of too many owners here who have kept the stock shortie. Looks nice and sporty, but for the kind of riding most people do who buy this bike, the tall shield should have been a factory option rather than an accessory. But as Paul says, prices are cheap enough now that an extra few hundred for a shield shouldn't kill the deal. The Honda tall shield is really well done -- protects you from the majority of the wind blast, but for most riders still gets enough air to your head to allow for ventilation in the warm weather.

The weight, again as Paul said, is not that big a deal. The CTX carries most of it pretty low, so it doesn't feel quite as heavy as it really is. And once you get moving, the weight disappears -- it feels and handles like a much lighter bike.

My only real gripe on this bike -- and it isn't much of a gripe, really -- is the throttle response when you're going from off-throttle to on, like down a slight grade -- it gets kind of jerky. Once you get used to it and stay mindful of it, it's not bad; but it can be a bit uncomfortable, especially if you have a passenger. It's not horrible, just worse than most other bikes I've had, except for the ST1300 and VTX1800 -- they had the exact same issue.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I'd change myself. When I first saw news of this bike as a concept, it was the bike I've been waiting for for forever. Now that I've had it for going on two seasons, it has delivered in every respect.

A few things that others have noted are excessive vibrations in the handelbars and grips, and a harsh front suspension. These vary a LOT from rider to rider, and I believe from bike to bike. Most owners don't seem to have issues with these, but there are enough of them that do that it's worth noting. There are off-the-shelf remedies that improve these, usually fairly inexpensively. Again, only way to know for yourself for sure is to take one for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome Steve (@SED). I have nothing really to add that hasn't been said here and elsewhere. Lots of info in the forums here. If you think this bike is a bit heavy go sling around a Gold Wing for 15 minutes and then hop back on a CTX and the weight will seem like it no longer exists. It's relative. My ST1100 is the same weight but top heavy so when I sat on the CTX it felt like I lost a lot of weight with it sitting so low. Only my Burgman 650 was less weight and only by about 120 lbs! But that was also very low.
And as Ed said, once the CTX gets moving it feels much much lighter.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey @SED,
Can you help me with my taxes?:350x700px-LL-66dd6d
WHEN (not if) you get one, just make the deal with the taller shield and enjoy it to start with, unless you want one of the other shields.
The only downside is that you don't appreciate the change as much.
Weight only counts 2 times. Once is when trying to maneuver or backup with your feet on unlevel or slippery ground. Second is picking it up because you were unsuccessful with number one.
The weight is an asset when cruising. The wind doesn't blow you around and the trucks don't blow you across the line. Ok, a little extreme, but you know what I mean.
Ditto to everything sleepngbear said.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I just switched back to my tall windshield for cooler weather. I like the shorty, but wow the taller one is exponentially better for wind protection and noise reduction. You will be less fatigued with the tall shield, too, meaning that you can ride farther. Good info from everyone who has already posted on this thread, and I agree with everything they said. :)
Oh! If you go with the deluxe model, the taller windshield means that you can hear your music no matter how fast you are going. You will lose your tunes at highway speed with the short shield.

Reactions: willajabir

·
Registered
207 Posts
The position of the mirrors are another issue for me... but you will be grtting alot of looks at. They are far & few between seen around the area.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, the mirrors and the position they're in bugs me. I wish they were up higher like on the F6B or GoldWings. Outside of that, this bike is awesome.

I don't have nearly the experience on other bikes like most do on here. I just started riding a year ago. Started on the CTX700, which was cool but I wanted more. I've always thought the 1300 was cool looking. I got about 3000 miles under my belt with the 700 and decided to move up this summer.

The weight really isn't a problem. As a poster stated above, the 725lbs does keep you from being blown around from wind and or big trucks. I can tell the difference form my CTX700 at 500lbs and the extra 200lbs the 1300 weighs. Low center of gravity so it doesn't feel heavy.

I added the Cee Baileys 16 inch and X-Creen as I was still getting a little buffeting around the top of my helmet. This will depend on how tall you are. I am 5'10" but with a long torso.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts