CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going to the darkside as I am tired of getting a new rear every season. I am lucky to get 5K miles on it.

I know a rounded bias CT is desired. Campiro is often mentioned. What I would like to know is what size and what make?

·
Registered
80 Posts
200/50 r17 is the motorcycle tire size. I was able to get a 205/50 r17 for 60 dollars at wally world. Two caveats to remember about going darkside. 1) you will have to mount the tire yourself. Most of the mc shops will not mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim. In arkansas and missouri it is actually illegal for a company to do that. 2) They do ride differently. I have had mine on for 3 months now and it still has the pointy things where they inject the rubber when the tire is made. I recommend that you take all of the parts off of the rim before mounting it up. I managed to put a bend in the abs sensor and have to order another. I chose an inexpensive tire because it is the first time that I have tried darkside. In 30k miles or so I will spend the money for a runflat all season. Good luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily there is a local bike speed shop where they will mount the CT onto my rim.

How differently do they ride? Any cons?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My experience so far, on the darkside...

I went with the Hankook Ventus V12 K120. I don't think it is a run flat, and I paid a little over $100 for it at a local tire store.

I chose it because it had
1) A symetrical tread - I didn't want to worry about handling differences when leaning left or right.
2) Thick tread on the edges - In the corners you will ride on the outer edge of the tire.
3) Deep grooves in the tread for channeling water - Tire has a very good wet weather rating and I ride in the rain.
4) Load rating 1433lb - The Bridgestone it replaces only had an 814lb load rating. (Bike+Me+wife+gear is very close to 1500lbs).
5) Speed rating 93V - 160mph+ rating. I will rarely see 100mph, and thus will never fully stress this tire in any way.

And I've had Hankook tires on heavy trucks, SUVs, and some cars, and NEVER had an issue with them.

I have 3k miles on it, and the tire looks brand new, and it is just about seeded in. All tires use a chemical that keeps them soft pliable to make it easier to mount. This chemical dries out of the rubber somewhere between 1000-2000 miles on a car. On the bike, because the weight the tire is supporting is much less, it seems to be taking much longer. Until that time, it will seem a little squirly. Especially when the edge of the tire is running over a crack in the road that has risen one one side, but once the tire starts to move up on it, it's stable.

I run 37-40psi in this tire. (Different tires may require different pressures. Different riding styles, may require different pressures). A local shop mounted and balanced it, and I replaced the four wheel bearings at the same time in the wheel.(one was failing). The shop that mounted it recommended 31-35 psi but it seemed a little to squrmish for me. Now that the tire is drying out some, I may lower the pressure back down a few PSI.

My ride to work and back is about an hour on the superslab at 75-80mph and I've gotten used to the tire. Haven't taken it in any canyons yet, but because of the width of the rim, the tire is very wide and flat. Finding a rounded tread, tire for that will fit may be problematic. Most Darsiders have narrower rims that the CTX1300 has.

As far as traction, with this wide tire and rim, I maintain traction, in all cruising conditions, and have a contact patch about the same as the Bridgestone Excedra Max that was on it before when I lean into a curve. It never runs on the sidewall and I have leaned it over pretty far at 75mph in some of the freeway curves. BTW, I used a digital level on my phone and measured the lean on the freeway. never leaned more than 15 degrees. Same on city streets.

So far, I'm very happy with this tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Thinking of going to the darkside as I am tired of getting a new rear every season. I am lucky to get 5K miles on it.
While I may get 6-7k on a rear tire that's still rather ridiculous in my feeble mind. I almost had to cancel my East Coast meetup trip due to not being able to find a tire at the last minute. My "high mileage" Commander II with less than 6k on it needed replacing due to wear and made much worse with a nail. I ended up with a 190 series tire which was only way I was able to attend the meetup. Point being that I'm really tired of spending so much on tires that don't last. This current one was nearly $300 for the tire, mounting and beads. As comparison I couldn't help but note the 4 tires I had just put on my car which were top of line michelins and a helluva a lot cheaper per tire. Therefore I have severe "dark" thoughts running thru my mind. In reality, I'll probably try a set of 888's first which I intend to buy and have on hand so I don't get stuck again...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
2) Thick tread on the edges - In the corners you will ride on the outer edge of the tire.
I have been told by Darksiders on Goldwings to use a tire that has rounded corners so that one doesn't ride on the outer edge and have squirrely handling. A common tire used by GWs is the Champiro. Bias ply tires instead of radials as bias tires have a uniform "hardness" across the tread and sidewalls (resulting in a stiffer tire) as opposed to radials which flex.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had a CT on my Valk Interstate and my Magna.. Loved it. So I bought one for the CTX also but I have not had the chance to wear out the original rear yet... Might just have to change it and call it an "age" issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been told by Darksiders on Goldwings to use a tire that has rounded corners so that one doesn't ride on the outer edge and have squirrely handling. A common tire used by GWs is the Champiro. Bias ply tires instead of radials as bias tires have a uniform "hardness" across the tread and sidewalls (resulting in a stiffer tire) as opposed to radials which flex.
On a Goldwing, the rim is 4.5" wide and 16" in diameter. Your CTX1300 rim is much wider (6.25") and 17" diameter. Finding a rounded tire for a Goldwing that fits, is much easier than one for the CTX1300's wider rim. If you were to size a tire proportionally to fit the CTX1300 rim for the rounded tread, it likely would not fit on the bike. A 60 series CT tire will not fit. a narrower 60 series tire that would fit, may be to narrow to fit the rim properly. A few 55 series CT will fit but it will depend on the tire.

You have to remember, the CTX1300 was designed to run motorcycle tires that have almost no sidewall due to the rounded tread. A darkside CT will have much more sidewall height.

If you are riding a Goldwing, the Darkside database has many examples that work to choose from and many have the rounded tread (Goodyear triple tread, for example). For the CTX, you have to look at all the bikes that have a 17" tire, and/or wide rim(5+ inches), as there are not to many CTX1300 owners listed. I ended up comparing/using the ST1300 owner's examples to help make my choice as they have a similar rim size.

Another consideration, ... for a flat profile tire(50/45/40 series), you want the sidewall to compress slighty to maintain a good contact patch. For cruising, this will work, as long as you watch your tire pressure. I would not go to a 45 or 40 series CT as the tire would not have enough room for the sidewall to flex to maintain contact patch.

What I found that fits the Goldwings, didn't properly fit the CTX1300 wheel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a CT on my Valk Interstate and my Magna.. Loved it. So I bought one for the CTX also but I have not had the chance to wear out the original rear yet... Might just have to change it and call it an "age" issue.
If your tire is more than 3 years old, ... change it.
My original tire was said to be new, but it wore out way to soon, and the last 2mm wore off in less than a week of commuter riding.

·
Registered
271 Posts

I went with the Hankook Ventus V12 K120. I don't think it is a run flat, and I paid a little over $100 for it at a local tire store.

I chose it because it had
1) A symetrical tread - I didn't want to worry about handling differences when leaning left or right.
3) Deep grooves in the tread for channeling water - Tire has a very good wet weather rating and I ride in the rain.
4) Load rating 1433lb - The Bridgestone it replaces only had an 814lb load rating. (Bike+Me+wife+gear is very close to 1500lbs).
5) Speed rating 93V - 160mph+ rating. I will rarely see 100mph, and thus will never fully stress this tire in any way.

And I've had Hankook tires on heavy trucks, SUVs, and some cars, and NEVER had an issue with them.

I have 3k miles on it, and the tire looks brand new, and it is just about seeded in. All tires use a chemical that keeps them soft pliable to make it easier to mount. This chemical dries out of the rubber somewhere between 1000-2000 miles on a car. On the bike, because the weight the tire is supporting is much less, it seems to be taking much longer. Until that time, it will seem a little squirly. Especially when the edge of the tire is running over a crack in the road that has risen one one side, but once the tire starts to move up on it, it's stable.

I run 37-40psi in this tire. (Different tires may require different pressures. Different riding styles, may require different pressures). A local shop mounted and balanced it, and I replaced the four wheel bearings at the same time in the wheel.(one was failing). The shop that mounted it recommended 31-35 psi but it seemed a little to squrmish for me. Now that the tire is drying out some, I may lower the pressure back down a few PSI.

My ride to work and back is about an hour on the superslab at 75-80mph and I've gotten used to the tire. Haven't taken it in any canyons yet, but because of the width of the rim, the tire is very wide and flat. Finding a rounded tread, tire for that will fit may be problematic. Most Darsiders have narrower rims that the CTX1300 has.

As far as traction, with this wide tire and rim, I maintain traction, in all cruising conditions, and have a contact patch about the same as the Bridgestone Excedra Max that was on it before when I lean into a curve. It never runs on the sidewall and I have leaned it over pretty far at 75mph in some of the freeway curves. BTW, I used a digital level on my phone and measured the lean on the freeway. never leaned more than 15 degrees. Same on city streets.

So far, I'm very happy with this tire.

Is this link the same tire your are using? How's it going riding the darkside on your CTX1300? Thanks. Tony

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo2&width=205/&ratio=50&diameter=17&cameFrom=selectSize&partnum=05YR7K120XL

·
Registered
168 Posts
@t star . I’m not sure that you have seen a YouTube video by “Kyle Weber”. This guy owns a CTX 1300 and mounted a car tire on his bike, and has a great review and video of the tire. https://youtu.be/x900TBn_AE4. I hope that the link that I attached is working , if not just on YouTube put in the search box the name” Kyle Weber CTX” and should come up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
@t star . I’m not sure that you have seen a YouTube video by “Kyle Weber”. This guy owns a CTX 1300 and mounted a car tire on his bike, and has a great review and video of the tire. https://youtu.be/x900TBn_AE4. I hope that the link that I attached is working , if not just on YouTube put in the search box the name” Kyle Weber CTX” and should come up.
I've seen this video previously. Thanks for the link. Tony

·
Registered
72 Posts

Yes, that is the tire I am currently using. Just passed the 5000 miles on it, and it's working just fine.
I don't use it as a canyon runner, but for commuting on the freeway at 80mph, it works just as good as the Bridgestone Excedra Max.

Keep in mind, this tire is not a run-flat tire, but has thicker sidewalls than most. There is also a difference in handling, but not noticeable when cruising. It is noticeable in the canyons, but only if you push it. This comes from the track that the tire follows when you lean the bike over in the corners. With the width of the rim and car tire, you will ride on the outer edge of the tire when you lean the bike over, but you will not run on the sidewall. With the Bridgestone Excedra Max, the CTX1300 will easily lean over and drag the pegs while maintaining it's grip and control. I could lean over in the corners far enough to scrape the pegs and did so in a number of canyons and speeds to determine the limits of the bike. However, I have no desire to do this in my normal riding style at legal speeds, or with the car tire.

BTW, I did a test and determined I never lean more than 12 degrees under normal commuting on freeways and city streets. Also, you would have to lean the bike over more than 30 degrees to drag the pegs. Since I don't race the bike, lean angle is not a concern.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What PSI do you use for your commuting?

I run 37psi to 40psi. When I had it mounted, the tech that did the mounting, mounts a lot of CTs on Goldwing rims. He recommended 31psi, as that is what many of the goldwing owners are running.

I found 31psi a little too soft for my taste and riding style, so I incremented up a few PSI until it became comfortable. However, this was before the tire seasoned (about 3000-4000 miles after mounting). I'm still running 37-40psi. Seems to be working well so I'm not upsetting the Zen.

The pressure you choose should be what is comfortable for you and your riding style. It will also depend on the tire itself. Sidewall construction will be a factor, tire type, compound, construction will all factor in. Some Goldwing owners are running pressures as low as 28psi so they can get a large contact patch for grip in the corners. (just like cars, you may run a little lower or higher pressure than what the manufacturer of the car and/or tire recommends.)

If you look at the darkside database, and see what others are using, you will find out there is a wide range.

Also, keep in mind, using a CT for canyon running IMHO, is not recommended. Even on runflats.

And never let the tire drop more than 5psi than what you are comfortable with. My TPMS ranges between 35psi to 42 psi, depending on the weather and road conditions. On a 45 degree morning I had to put a little air in it to bring it up to my comfortable range. When it warmed back up, I had to let a little out.

As for the bead coming loose, ... too low of pressure and the bead will come loose, even on a car rim. The higher the pressure, the less likely that will happen. TPMS will let you know if you have an issue unless there is a blowout. FOr the CTX1300 rim, I don't see this as a problem as a 205/50R17 tire fits perfectly.

p.s. BlueThunder, ... didn't mean to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are a few pages on the Internet regarding Darkside. I just did a search on the subject and a lot of reading. I dont like specific websites as you dont get the pros and cons for the decision. Do your research and make your own decision. Two of the biggest reasons for going Darkside. 1) You are on a cruiser and dont need to drive like you are on an Fz-09 2) Paying 3 - 500 for these tires bites into your budget every year ( this doesnt include mounting). To clarify, these were my reasons. There are honestly all kinds of tire patterns for all seasons of weather. Have fun and whatever you choose, keep the rubber on the ground.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts