CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since early Spring of 2019 on my ST1300 I've been running a Vercelli Strada 2 All-Season - 205/50R17 ($53.23 delivered from Amazon) on the rear and a 130/70-18 Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Dual Compound Radial Rear Tire ($108.88 delivered from chaparralmotosports/eBay) on the front. I have a heavily modified Harbor Freight MC tire changer, a British made Wheelmate tire bar and have mounted all of my tires for years. I found the Vercelli much easier to mount than the Bridgestone BT-020 rear MC tire on the ST and had no problems getting the beads to seat.:smiley-happy0034:

When mounting tires I highly recommend using a commercial grade tire lube instead of any other concoction guys come up with. I took a margarine container to Discount Tire and they filled it for $5.00. I cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with water and apply it with a cheap paint brush. At 71 yrs of age I want it to be as easy as possible and the best advice I can give when mounting tires is use plenty of lube. Otherwise you're gonna fight the tires to get them on the rims, work up a good sweat and probably use quite a few cuss words in the process. :mad:

After going dark it took less than 20 minutes to acclimate to the handling difference. I've put 6000 miles on the bike so far and both tires still look new. When going thru tight twisties I have leaned it over far enough to drag the driver foot peg feelers without any issues. The bike is very stable well over 100mph, rock solid in the curves and handles so much better than with MC tires I'm sorry I didn't go dark sooner. Air pressure is extremely important when running a car tire. I've found 38psi to be the best for my 250lb body weight and riding style. The ST1300 weighs in at 720 wet and I always ride alone. It seems the only naysayers about going dark are the ones that aren't doing it. I love it and will never go back to only getting 3,500 to 4,000 miles out of motorcycle tires. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
UPDATE on my Darkside, ...

Been 1 year now, since having the Hankook Ventus V12 K120 mounted.

Zero problems. Have 11,000+ miles on it, ... haven't road more than 200 miles in the last four months due to the stay-at-home situation. Lucky I can work from home.

Tire is down about 1/3 of the tread. Back 6-8 months ago or so, we had some monsoon rains, ... I wish my helmet cam had worked as I road through it, passing every car that was doing 55 or less on the 101 FWY. Rain was pouring down, and this bike with the CT, just gripped and held the road better than any other bike i've ever ridden in the rain. I doubt I will every find a better motorcyle. The CT gripped where the motorcycle tire would have been squirrelly.

I am now saving for another rear rim to mount a motorcycle tire onto, so I can quickly change if I'll be running in a canyon for most of the day. Long trips and commuting will use the CT.

Also, no tire slip, during hard accelleration with the CT. I can drop a couple of gears, wind it up and she flies. With the Excedra Max I had some tire slipage. Even in the rain, no tire slip during heavy accelleration.

Real happy with the darkside. Going to do the same to my Suzuki C50 when the rear motorcycle tire wears out.

My wife likes riding now, much more comfortable with the CTX1300 with the CT.

:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well since you can't see chicken strips on the rear DarkSide tire here is how the bike leans on the front tire...

About 2k miles..

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts