CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High guys.My name is Rich and I've been signed up and lurking for months.Time to come out.I'm in my early 50s and riding since the late 70s.My
current bike is a '97 Suzuki Bandit 1200.I'm the original owner and this bike
is like an old friend,but it's time to upgrade for more comfort,storage and features.The CTX1300 is on my short list,and is one of about 4 or 5 bikes I am
considering.I won't bore you with my struggle to decide,but I enjoy the forum and was hoping to be able to ask specific questions about the CTX from the
perspective of a (possible) future owner.Thanks and stay warm out there!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @Azulihawx!
Ask away! there's always someone about here with something to say on everything... as you've already been reading I'm sure.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum! By all means, let us know what else is on your short list, as well as what's important to you in your next bike. While our opinions will likely be mostly biased, they will surely be informative. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome from Houston. By all means, I'll certainly try to share a non biased opinion. I've been riding a long time too and have had all kinds (Japanese makes) of bikes from super sport to cruisers to tourers.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welcome @Azulihawx,
Well, I'm not like the others....I am biased. I'll still answer and try to steer you toward a Honda :smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome,guys.I guess it's the typical cruiser/bagger vs sport-tourer dilemma.I want maximum comfort for long distance rides,yet want
something a bit more nimble than your average V-twin bagger.That said,the comfort of bikes like the Victory Cross Country and Vision are hard to ignore.
Those two are on my list,as is the Kawasaki Vaquero.At the other end of the spectrum is the Triumph Trophy.I'm keenly aware of the problems that some
TT owners (like Tennessee Smith) have had.That can be expected with all-new
models.But I gotta say,the TT is pretty awesome.It's got everything you'd ever
want,in a bike,and a riding position that is more upright than other sport-tourers.
That brings me to the CTX.It just fits me like a glove.Super-sweet V-4.ABS,
bluetooth audio system,comfy seat.No need to sell you guys.So what's holding
me back?Not sure I'll have enough wind protection,even with the aftermarket
shields now available.Wish the panniers were larger.Wish the suspension had
more adjustments.Only one year warranty is a disappointment. Cruise control
would be nice.Flimsy plastic body parts are a concern.
At the end of the day,all these bikes have pros and cons.I guess the fact that
I'm here reflects the realization that the CTX may be winning me over.I want
to know more about it.None of it's shortcomings is a deal-breaker.I look
forward to picking your collective brains to find out.I'll direct my specific
questions to the proper forum categories.Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Welcome Azulihawx to the best little CTX1300 forum on the interweb. Glad you finally came out of lurker mode!

·
Registered
117 Posts
High guys.My name is Rich and I've been signed up and lurking for months.Time to come out.I'm in my early 50s and riding since the late 70s.My
current bike is a '97 Suzuki Bandit 1200.I'm the original owner and this bike
is like an old friend,but it's time to upgrade for more comfort,storage and features.The CTX1300 is on my short list,and is one of about 4 or 5 bikes I am
considering.I won't bore you with my struggle to decide,but I enjoy the forum and was hoping to be able to ask specific questions about the CTX from the
perspective of a (possible) future owner.Thanks and stay warm out there!
I owned 3 bandits. The newer engine was fantastic. best bang for the buck hands down! Nothing luxury about it, but those bikes could sure take on just about anything!
The CTX has pull, character, and can add distance to your ride without pain.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I looked at a really similar range of bikes when getting started on thinking about a replacement for my Bonneville. I never did ride a Victory because I found the Cross Country (basic black 8-ball version) to look cheap in person and I was quite unimpressed with the seat. Nothing very comfortable about it, and I decided I don't think I like floorboards.

I was quite taken with the Trophy for a bit. It sure felt like the ergonomically perfect bike. I had misgivings about the more decidedly sporty style of its appearance and I didn't care about the full suite of electronics: at least in the U.S., you're stuck buying a Trophy SE with every bell and whistle Triumph offers, yet NOT with an included top box. So the Trophy becomes like a $21K investment. All I had to do was read about the kinds of failures that Ken here and others online have chronicled to fall out of love.

I'm not sure why I never looked at the ST1300. Two area dealers still had "new" 2012 models but they never grabbed my eye.

The CTX kind of perfectly toned-down the "not sure I want as much Sport in my touring" styling misgivings I had. While I was concerned the foot-forward position would be ergonomically inferior to the Triumph's feet-below, I've grown quite fond of it. The seat is wonderful and so long as I mind my posture I can ride in comfort all day on this thing. And with no fear of failure. :)

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Careful there. The CTX1300 is technically not a foot-forward layout but a foot neutral. The CTX700 is foot forward.
Foot forward really has the feet equal to or in front of the hands. ST and other sport touring has feet directly under the seat. sport can actually have feet behind the seat... sometimes. Touring has the feet between the seat and hands. The GW is just a few inches back from the CTX but still in front of the seat center. The CTX, as we all know, has feet just in front of that but still a ways back of the hands. This is where I am most comfortable. Can't ride in comfort with feet too far forward or back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
When I bought the CTX700 I expected the forward foot position to be a real problem. Once I got a taller windshield on the bike, the feet didn't bother me at all. With the shorty, the wind made me feel like a parachute.

I traded the 700 for my first CTX1300 and I am very happy with the foot position on the 1300. I miss being able to stand up like I could on the Trophy, Wee Strom, ST1100, etc. The only ergonomic complaint is that the seat is a bit too soft for more than about twelve hours per day. I added beads to the blue bike to resolve that issue.

The Trophy was the most comfortable seating position I've ever experienced. The more relaxed position with the CTX1300 seems to make me slow down and take in the sights a bit more.

For the types of riding I do now, I think I'm in good shape for another five years or so with these CTX1300s. I'm done trying other bikes for a while.

Reactions: bob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts