CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me bike and really not sure why this combo would end up like this. Can someone with experience with the Kury products run into this problem. The gap seems odd where you see the white nylon part. Not a big fan of these types of locks, but was nice on my long ride home. I had a throttle lock once that looked like a bar end weight so friction at end when needed, it was less ugly and didn't get in the way of controls.

Suggestions before I open it up?
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
687 Posts
My previous-owner-installed Kury grips with my $7 GoCruise plastic throttle lock. Think seeing the white gap is normal/common.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at Kury for fitment and didn't show a specific for ctx, does grip include the cable receiver and tube part? Mine almost looks like some black sealant gluing on, and seems to me to be in the wrong position once twisting. I would think it would be forward a little so once twisted the width would line up right.
Either of you know the part number you have. Maybe there is a different option now vs when previous owner put these on. Not sure if you noticed in my picture but the inner most cushion is dislodged so need to fix or replace.

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
Don't forget that many aftermarket vendors don't show the CTX1300 in their compatibility lists because it is the same part for the ST1300. If you see fitment for the ST1300 for grips and pegs and many other common parts then it will fit the CTX1300 since that is the bike much of the CTX is designed from.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well read another hour and think I understand my situation. Must be the 6341 (black) universal grip glued to OEM sleeve. Reading says no luck removing grip without cutting off. Guess it's time to think about spending money on new grip setup to remedy my problems

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget that many aftermarket vendors don't show the CTX1300 in their compatibility lists because it is the same part for the ST1300. If you see fitment for the ST1300 for grips and pegs and many other common parts then it will fit the CTX1300 since that is the bike much of the CTX is designed from.
Jpcycles shows 6341 for st1300 so seems Bob confirms what I have.

Now just have to figure out what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I don’t guess it would be possible to heat the grip with a hot air gun/hair dryer and see if it would move any. Might be worth a shot before buying new. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still riding the ISO grips but thinking a change is coming. Probably an age thing but these seem to make my thumbs get sore pretty quickly, I find myself needing to put thumb on top with fingers kind of. I was last riding gel grips close to oem stock size and just a cramp buster and could go hours without this kind of joint pain, but that was a couple years ago.

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
I was starting to have hand issues and realized I was gripping the grips too hard. My CB reduces that but I sometimes have to remind myself not to hold on too tight. Doing hand squeeze exercises with a tennis ball helps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the idea about grip strength Bob

I am sure its age related as well, but its not a natural way that your hand closes when you grab the grip. The larger grip forces the joint closest to hand to open. By natural try closing hand, then open and see where thumb wants to be. For me relaxed natural position has thumb maybe 1/2 inch at most. The ISO is so big with hand not even gripped buy just on puts force beyond relaxed.
I am just thinking with my hand size smaller might be worth a try. I might even just do a left side change and test one side so I can feel the difference in buzz as well.

Part of my issue on right hand might be grip doesn't not seem to be put on correctly. It seems like it could have been rotated to better fit hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts