CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a good test ride today over the mountains and highway. The bike did all it said it would and also showed up the faults as had been mentioned before. The front end was a bit firm and transmitted any rough surfaces to the bars, the rear was a bit bouncy and needed some extra rebound . Swapping the factory rear shock oil to something a bit heavier should fix that. Felt like it could do with an extra gear at times, but wasn't an issue. Overall it just needs a taller screen for my height. It gave a very relaxed ride and I could tour on it all day. Thinking very hard about this one. What sort of gas mileage are you guys getting.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
Good to hear you got a good test ride on it.
As you read around here you'll find out the front does soften up a little after break in. I still feel the low gearing, yet not so low as some classic cruisers, makes it seem like another gear is needed. Coming from a ST I find I'm really always fine with the gearing. Nice and relaxed. I suppose another gear would drop the rpm at higher speeds but keeping in mind this engine comes from an ST and is re-tuned and re-geared for this application. I think it's doing great! :)
My mpg is currently averaging just over 44 mpg on my daily commute plus around town errands. It's improving as I put on more miles as all new bikes do during the first 1500-2000 miles. That's with a mix of city and highway miles. I'm sure if I ran only highway miles it would range up over 50mpg and maybe over 55 mpg. I've noticed steady speed readings in the mid to high 50s on the instant mpg, even as low as 40 mph but most often at 55-65 mph (steady as in at least a quarter mile without varying the speed or throttle). Slight up/down runs vary that all over the place, low as upper 30s to high as 70+mpg on the instant reading. I'll be able to report on the highway only mpg after this weekend as I'm traveling on a moto camping trip I mentioned in the Events forum here. Expecting around 700-800 highway miles on this trip with maybe 30-50 in town miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
Glad you got a good test ride in. As Bob said, the front end definitely softens up in time. The rear feels as good to me as any other heavy cruiser, except that the bike overall feels more firm and solid around fast sweepers, even with the wife on the back. If you do end up getting one and like to tour, you will love the tall windscreen.

My last tankful was just over 44 mpg. That was my first full tank with the tall windshield, but that included a bunch of trips to work in some miserable stop-and-go traffic. Before that I had been averaging about 48.5. Gonna have to give it a drink this afternoon again, and this tank has been more leisurely rides, although it was also more 2-up, too. I'm hoping for a little better number this time.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
Today's fill-up: 201.5 miles, 4.183 gallons = 48.17 mpg.

Fairly good mix of riding -- some leisurely jaunts, a couple of commutes to work, some solo, some 2-up. This is encouraging, because I was concerned that the windshield might hurt fuel mileage, but it does not appear to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feed back everyone. I'm still sorting the harley out to sell / trade and will probably pull the pin on one. Haven't been able to nail down accs pricing over here yet. I may be asking you guys for a dealer contact over there who will supply and post to Australia. Will eventually require a screen, rack and pillion pad.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
feel free to go to my public profile and read the messages (lower on that page) that I sent to myself with my dealer contact information. I don't know if they will ship overseas but worth a call perhaps. Just click on my name on the left here and select View Public Profile. I also posted a message to myself with a link to information on the electrical connector pins for this bike.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Haven't been able to nail down accs pricing over here yet. I may be asking you guys for a dealer contact over there who will supply and post to Australia. Will eventually require a screen, rack and pillion pad.
Since Australia is considered a Pacific Rim country, I wonder if you would have better luck ordering from Japan? Webike.net seemed to have just about every accessory well in advance of any dealers. The shipping costs were not too outrageous. Try there first.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since Australia is considered a Pacific Rim country, I wonder if you would have better luck ordering from Japan? Webike.net seemed to have just about every accessory well in advance of any dealers. The shipping costs were not too outrageous. Try there first.
Thanks for the link, I have bookmarked the page , regards, Al (beagle):smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Might pay to look overseas ,, from what i can gather the parts are not available here for a month or so , and for me anyway its a deal breaker ,, I was really keen on one of these bikes , but this bike for me would be my 2 up sunday ride bike and for touring , i would need a backrest and luggage rack .

Without these items the bikes useless , wife would'nt go riding without something to hold her on , and the bags are not big enough for an extended tour , but i was quoted ,$1200 to $1300 , just for the backrest and rack .

Price gouging like this to me is totally unaceptable , ESPECIELLY when there are lots of other bikes to choose from .

I'll wait and see , if past times are anything to go by Honda will drop the price soon anyway ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well folks...I've started the plunge....the harley's in for pre sale and part of the deal is that all of it goes off the price of the Honda and they'll do a reduced selling fee as well, so I'll get almost full sale price instead of a ****ty trade in value. I've still got another bike so if it takes a while it doesn't matter. I'm almost getting excited...red or blue....red or blue...can't decide...LOL..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts