CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to check the windscreen while washing the bike and it felt loose. So I took the nose piece off and found all four of the rubber grommets had completely worn out. I have a couple theories and maybe you guys can chime in. 1. The grommets weren't designed to take the added pressure from a tall windscreen at highway speeds. 2. Gremlins are out to get me.
I'm gonna stick with 1
I posted some pictures to my Gremlin destruction.
I hope you saved your extra grommets from the old shorty screen

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Almost looks like over tightening to me. Those rubber compression nuts can't take much torque. Very similar as what the ST1100 shield is mounted with only on the outside and not hidden. I've seen some of those over tightened and they look like that. Very easy to do by hand. I haven't had that issue... yet.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may be true as in the case of other riders. All I'm saying is check your shield before you end up wearing it around your neck. ☺
It's more of a preventative maintenance exercise that takes 2 seconds

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I have one grommet that looks almost like that, maybe not as bad, but I'm pretty sure it's my fault for changing out the windshields every time the sun peeks out from behind a cloud. :)
I didn't get another set of those when I got my taller windshield, so I have been just re-using the ones from the shorty. I kind of (halfway) intend to order a few just so I have some on hand for the inevitable "lost it in the yard" scenario.

Reactions: Mohr

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my taller windshield installed a while back. 9,000 miles later, I have Not had any problems but I appreciate hearing about this.

Loren
Superior, WI

·
Registered
279 Posts
just looked at mine and it was very loose
pulled apart and the rubber nuts were coming through
called honda for honda parts and he told me they were 4.50 each for the rubber nut
told him I would be down to get 4
when I got there he sold me a e4s windscreen kit has 10 nuts and new screws
10.95 worked great and have 6 more for later
its the same part
reuse the Honda screws and put the white washer from the old nut onto the new nut
part number for the pack is 684580, E4S windscreen kit
I assume you can get them online
wow a dealer guy hooked me up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts