CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have family commitments at the end of Sept, so I’m missing the Meetup in the Mountains,, again. So, I’m going to ride up through the Black Hills then over to the Big Horns, and over to Cody. Might as well ride Beartooth and Chief Joseph one more time. Then maybe south to Utah. I’ll post some pics. Should be a lot more comfortable on this trip vs last one. Highway pegs, Corbin seat, and backrest. Taking the tent, and riding with a buddy for at least half the trip. He hasn’t decided what bike he’s riding, but I suspect he’ll be on a Goldwing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1000 miles in so far. Here’s a pic you all have probably never seen one like this.
Haha! Everyone has been here once.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Left the Black Hills and went over to the Big Horns. Camped off of 16 last night up above Buffalo. Heading over to Sheridan today and back up into the Big Horns.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went through Yellowstone yesterday. No pics. Didn’t stop. Plus my phone won’t focus.
BearTooth Pass and Chief Joseph today.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, eight days out. 3,490 miles. Not many pics. I’m still really liking the CTX. I’ve got a heck of a wobble when I let go of the bars though. Don’t think I’ve ever had that with a bike. Anyone know what the cause would be? I’m running the Michelin Road Commanders. They are bias ply on the front and radial rear, maybe that has something to do with it. They are wearing even though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
If it’s on decel at somewhere between 55 and 45 mph - don’t worry about it. Just about every bike I have owned has done that to some degree. When you take your hands off the bars. The Fix - KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE BARS!!!! Don’t think it’s anything to worry about. Might check wear/condition of front tire/wheel, and make sure steering stem bearings are not overly loose. Other than that - ride on.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Was thinking - lt’s probably worse than normal because of the particular distribution of the load you’re carrying. Might try emptying everything out of the rear case and try it again. Probably find it might be “different” without vs with extra weight on the tail.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! It was on decel from about 50 mph on down. Probably always had it, but never noticed it. I added a throttle lock before this trip, and was taking my hands off the bars to put gloves back on etc.. Sometimes it was at a steady speed, but usually with a bit of deceleration due to the give in the throttle lock.
I also always thought my front shocks were ok. But riding the big loop through Yellowstone at 45-50 mph, on the rough roads made me think I need to do something about the front shocks also. About broke my wrists on some of the dips in the road. Hard to see in the shadows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
2008 Honda VFR, 2009 Honda ST1300, 2011 Suzuki M109
4 Posts
You won't get any help from the factory. My ST1300 did that. Took it to the dealer I've dealt with for years and the Service manager I knew well, told me that their response is that you are not to turn loose of the handlebars!! They won't admit to a problem caused by an "illegal'" action on my part! Turns out the problem was with the front tire wear - new tire - balanced - problem solved. The wear problem was almost undistinguishable until they pulled it off and you could see the scalloping issue.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I’ve got about 8,000 mi on these Michelin Commanders, but they still look good. I may try something different next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts