CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a problem with my heated grips. I can't find what the problem is. My bike sleeps outside in a small shelter. Same as a snowblower shelter. After a night of rain, or even just a very humid night, my heated grips won't work the following morning. I turn the key, then the Honda screen starts up and then I get this error message that flashes on the top of the screen. It's the heated grip sign with "E-3" just on top of the sign. It flashes non stop. Also while that is flashing in the screen, the heated grip switch on the handlebar flashes 3 times, pause, 3 times, pause, etc.

I have the service manual and I found out that this message means a "Faulty heated grip switch". I took the bike to the dealer and they agreed to change the switch. The guys didn't really know what the problem was. We tried to reproduce the night of rain by spraying the bike with water and we couldn't. It's like it takes time for the humidity to get in or something. Even if the switch is changed now, it continues to do that practicly every morning because it's very humid during the night.

Any of you had this problem??

Help!! My bike is still under warranty so it's time to fix it.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I would almost like to say "yup, that has happened to me once, and this is what you do to fix it" but I haven't had the problem. Just completed a trip along Lake Superior's southern shore and had plenty of heavy dew at night as well as light showers, and with low 40s in the morning there were plenty of miles with the heat on. I know it's not a fix, but would a bike cover as well as the shelter keep the moisture off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a cover to try it and unfortunatly the error still shows up.

I start the bike, and right away the code is blinking. Then I start driving and after 15 minutes of riding, the error stops and my grips start working. I really don't know. Maybe it's the second grip that doesn't work properly.

Anyone have had this problem???

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had that error message once. I turned the bike off, and back on about 10 seconds later and the error was gone. Haven't had it since (touch wood).

·
Registered
40 Posts
. . . . . or re-booting the computers? Computers control everything these days!

Happy and safe riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello all, this morning the E-3 error came up.
Disappeared after 15 min riding.
Bike was outside under the cover.
Turning the bike on/off did not help.
Maybe it is the switch. Not sure will keep an eye on this.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
502 Posts
Honda reports that an error-3 indicates that there is a problem with the grip switch. Does the grip heat while the error is displayed? If yes, it would indicate that the wire (from the switch) may be frayed internally. That is, with the wire being stranded, enough wires are broken and making the remaining ones carry the current. This will result in a higher current draw. IMHO, this break is at the switch and has frayed due to a poor solder joint. The grip will need to be removed and examined.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a used left heated grip on eBay, considered buying it for a spare, but it would just lay in a drawer, and you might need it.
The good karma from sending this link will hopefully keep mine working problem free forever!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts