CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the site on google and have been reading along for a few weeks. Empty nester now looking for first big bike. Have read everything I can about the CTX but wanted to ask a question of the experts as I am a novice. I don't want to drop this kind of money and have a bad first experience.

I am concerned about the wind turbulence because I am 6'4" with a 35" inseam. Seems most of the comments about the tall screen option are favorable but also seems most of you are not this tall. I would be a longer distance weekend exploration type of rider.

Any feedback would be appreciated. How do I get comfortable with this windscreen issue?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
797 Posts
The best plan with any touring type motorcycle is to have plenty of extra money in your budget for trying various configurations. If you are lucky you'll hit it right the first time and you'll have money left over. Sometimes you can go through a whole bunch of configurations and never find one that fits.

You can save a little money by buying slightly used stuff that didn't fit some of the other folks on the forum.

If you plan to keep the bike ten years or more, an extra $1000 in the budget is not that big of a deal. If you intend to ride the bike only a few years and then trade it, you don't really want to spend a lot of money on windshields that you haven't tested.

I spent a lot of money trying to get a good windshield on my CTX700. I finally gave up and traded the bike for a CTX1300.

I got lucky with the windshield on my first CTX1300. I bought the Honda tall and it was very close to "just right". I tweaked it with a Laminar Lip and it's just about perfect for my shape and size.

My second CTX1300 was not in the budget, but I went ahead and took a chance on the MadStad shield. I figured I could go back to the shorty and sell the MadStad for a small loss if I didn't like it. It worked out really well, so I'm keeping it.

The only bad aerodynamic choice I've made is the top box. I'm tempted to swap the shields on the two bikes. The wider MadStad might mitigate some of the wobbles from the top box. I really like the convenience of the top box and would hate to have to do without it. I might try adding a passenger between me and the top box, but that would be a very expensive add-on and then I'd need even more storage.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Hey Woodman, welcome to the forum.

Now has never been a better time to buy a CTX1300. Current incentives from Honda include: $1000 in free accessories (you can use some of this allowance to extend your warranty), A second year free of HondaCare, $500 in bonus bucks to spend at the dealer at purchase, 1.99% financing. If you don't mind a drive, the largest Honda dealer in the world is in Chattanooga, and they are selling Deluxe models for $14,897

Best of luck in your decision!

Eric

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ken -- I have read your very comprehensive posts on this subject. Sounds like you are well advanced than most on add-ons and aftermarket products.

How tall are you and how did the tall Honda screen work for you before adding the lip?

Thanks

· Registered
797 Posts
I'm 5'10", but I'm short in the legs and long in the torso. My windshield experiences tend to line up well with guys that are 6'0" tall.

The tall screen was acceptable, but I did get a small bit of turbulent air on the top of my helmet. The Laminar Lip lifted the air just enough to get it over my head. At 6'4" it might not be enough for you.

It's odd how this works. My Dad was 6'4", yet his shields were always lower than I found comfortable and mine were always taller than what he liked. His longer legs had him sitting in a different position than I sat in. With my long arms and torso, I tend to sit bolt upright with sagging elbows on the CTX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.