CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks (and sorry for being long winded),

Joined this forum a couple weeks back to read up on your views/inputs of this fine machine.

I've had tons of bikes and have never kept one for more than a year. And yes, I buy new especially when it comes to bikes. Finding the right balance between comfort, heft and performance seems to be my issue. I hope this bike is my final destination.

Test rode one of these beasts and instantly fell in love with the handling, looks and the ability to fully flat foot (instills confidence). Yes, I've been riding for 25 years now and fairly experienced and there are arguments that with experience you can ride any bike and even when it means being on your tip toes at a stop. But there is always the inevitable right? Anyway, I've come pretty close to dropping my previous bike I just traded in (which I so loved) - '13 FJR1300A - due to unforeseen gravel on the road in various parts. I was on the balls of my feet with this bike. Just for reference, I'm 5' 8" with a 30" inseam on a good day.

I feel I got a good trade value on the FJR and a great price on the Blue Deluxe with no setup fees. On delivery, I did notice (thankfully reading here) the battery box inside cover out of alignment/popping out. The dealership had a senior tech look at it and he just couldn't get it to seat right. He then proceeded to state that with plastics and the cold weather, these types of things happen and when I get it home to leave it out in the sun and it would be fine.

Well, I insisted to look at the tabs. He said he'd look at it and let me know as I'm not allowed back in the shop. He came back and stated that the tabs weren't broken and were good. When the bike was brought back out, I noticed that the area of the tab flexed. I insisted looking at the tabs on both the left and right sides. Sure enough, the left was broken (closest to the driver). They proceeded to swap out the panel with another blue on the floor and after dismantling the left side cowl, front garnish and mirror covers found out that the one on the floor also had a broken tab..............sigh.

Anyway, they blamed this on a newby setup guy and gave me and note stating they'd order and ship me the replacement cowl with the correct part number.

I wasn't happy with the fact that my brand new bike with only 1 mile was partially dismantled. I've ordered the service manual and plan to ensure that all the screws, clips, etc. have been placed correctly and nothing is stripped or missing.

I also ordered some accessories online. I found out that Superbikestoystore.com has the best prices on Honda accessories and on top an additional 5% discount and free shipping.

So, hello again everyone and hope to contribute here as well.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Hi Guy! Glad to have another veteran rider on board. Each of us are individuals and see our bikes differently. I've had mine for 3 months have 3800 miles on it. I love the bike and wish winter wasn't so close to shutting down riding season. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the CTX as you get to know her. I've had similar experiences with the plastics, but for me, the overall enjoyment of the bike far overrides these problems.
Keep in touch.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
welcome to the forum!
All the really important stuff on this bike is well tested over the last 11 years in the ST. Only the new stuff needs to be proven and some of this initial growing pains kind of stuff, such as with the plastic panels, is to be expected. My dealer also shipped me the new middle cowl, more than once to get one not broken from the factory(!), and I put it on after coating that tab with JB Weld. Fits nice for me now. Glad we could be of service/help before purchase.

Seems the FJR is a popular bike with the sport bike minded sport touring gang from reading on the other forum I belong to. I'm not a sport bike minded rider so they can have those. I am guessing that's possibly one reason you got a good trade on it.

I agree that with experience a rider can ride any bike, but only on a good bike that fits the rider can they ride it with confidence. :D

-did that make any sense? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Howdy and welcome aboard!
I'm right there with you on the seat height. Although I'm 6'0 with a 34" inseam, it certainly makes things feel better when you can plant your peds on terra firma. I can't imagine driving a bike up the ramp and into my shed if I could only touch tip-toes. The shed was built for a much narrower bike (my old Virago), and I seem to cut the inch of clearance on either side a little close at times! And, by the way, THANK GOD FOR EASILY DETACHABLE MIRROR COVERS. I have popped mine off twice now coming out of the doorway. :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Ron,
I've been riding since June of 1967. I have kept a few of the bikes more than a year.
There are so many bikes and I have so little money....
I was expecting a description of the salesman's face after finding the tab broken after he stated they were ok. I'm guilty of breaking a few on Hondas and Suzukis.....glue guns, velcro, and super glue are your friends. Not just WD40 and Duct tape :)

Rav: I'm averaging about the same miles as you(on my new V-Star)...BUT living in the south, I think I'm about to surpass you with my last purchase while you let yours hibernate. I guess this puts you to the advantage if I trade/upgrade huh?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
willajabir,
Hey enjoy the ride. I'm sure you will get the millage up and over mine this fall. Once you get to know the CTX, you'll find it becomes an obsession to ride it. I won't be trading soon. Once I find a bike I like, I hang on to it. My favorite ride was a 1983 Honda 650 Silverwing Interstate. Yeah the real Silverwing in my book. I rode that old girl over 80 k miles in 22 years of ownership through years of long work hours and raising my kids. I'm thinking the CTX will be my next real keeper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yes, I plan on reinforcing the replacement panel tab with some JB Weld too just as Bob did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts