CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Greyshadow in Western Australia, 5 years ago (for my 50th) I purchased a new 2009 Honda VT C2 Shadow Custom; in America I believe it's called a Spirit. Lately I have been considering whether to upgrade to a bigger bike, I really like the CTX concept a Tourer/Cruiser Hybrid. Any way started annual leave today and first thing I did was take a CTX 1300 for a test ride. On a scale of 5 stars: Handling 5, Power 5, Seating position 4.5, Flat feet on the ground 5 these were what I liked however I would score vision from the rear vision mirrors 0. I am 5'7" stocky, and I could see almost nothing out the mirrors with out tilting my shoulder and head left or right and or putting my weight on the pegs and sitting on the beginning of the pillion (passenger seat) the break reservoir, cables, assorted controls to the left and right grips etc were completely in my line of sight to the mirrors (could see bugger all!) I could only see the top 5% right hand corner of the right mirror and about 8% of the left. The Dealer said he could lower the bars if I was genuinely interested next time If I wanted (in other words not in the stock off the production line position) If this would fix the problem with out compromising the good riding position overall then that would be satisfactory. If not then I would not purchase the bike as seeing out the rear vision mirrors without undue effort is vital safety issue. Has anybody encountered the same, you would have to be the same height as me I guess to have encountered this.
Well thanks guys, look forward to reading some posts and would appreciate any comments if any one else has experienced the above.
Cheers Mark (Greyshadow)

· Registered
2,179 Posts
HI Mark, and welcome to the forum.

Common complaint with this bike is visibility through the rear-views. It can be improved by adjusting the bars downward, to where the brake and clutch reservoirs are blocking just a small portion of the bottom of the mirrrors and your hands are just visible in the tops. Though this still doesn't provide a 100% clear view behind, it's generally acceptable for most riders. It does require some fiddling to get the optimum position, which will vary depending on the rider's height. I had my sales guy do the adjusting while I sat on the bike and found the best position. As an added benefit, I found the lowered position more comfortable, too. Hope that works out for you!

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Hi Mark,

I'm 5'6" and when I picked up my CTX1300 I had the same problem, I lowered the bar and also adjusted the levers and reservoirs (10 min. work) and now I have a very good visibility of the mirrors and what's behind me. Compared with other bikes I had they don't vibrate and they are better located than my last bike the CTX700.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
@greyshadow,
Welcome aboard Mark.
Here is a link to one of several threads about the mirrors:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/honda-ctx1300-general-discussion-forum/2962-mirrors-obstruction-handlebar-position.html
You can use the search for mirrors and get more. Some are getting extra mirrors to mount on the reservoirs as there is a standard mount for them there should you be inclined.
One parameter of positions for seat/bars/mirrors/shield/pegs can fit us all. You gotta make it yours. Just make sure everything is adjusted the best it can be to fit you before you leave the dealer, then mod it later to your satisfaction.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
@greyshadow welcome. I agree with willajabir and others about adjusting the bars down. What many Honda dealers think is the default position is not a good one and the bars do need to be adjusted down for most riders. I'm just a few inches taller but short wasted so closer still. I also adjusted the bars down and turned the reservoirs forward to open a better view to and through the mirrors. They are now as good as I had on my ST1100. I am still thinking on adding the aux mirrors that fit on top the stock mirror covers. Don't care for the look of bar mirrors myself, but that's just me.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys and the mirror info. Just a bit more background my first bike was a Honda CB 175 which I got when I was sixteen kept it a year and then purchased a Kawasaki H1B 500 and kept it from 1976 to 2014. The last 27-28 years it just sat in my garage under plastic sheets and blankets. I sold it to a Vintage Motorcycle warehouse reseller it was snapped up in a flash at is was all original including the paint job it came of f the production line with. No doubt someone with mechanical and refurbishment skills is now riding it. Besides mine I have not seen one in 30 years. It was the orange coloured one and first disk break model. So a pretty typical story rode when I was a kid then stopped riding for around 25+ years (girls, career, marriage, kids, private school fees etc). So been back in the saddle for over 5 years. Do enjoy it immensely keeps me feeling young.
Again thanks for the contact and advice re the mirrors.
Greyshadow

· Registered
116 Posts
@greyshadow I'm also 5'7", so I think we are pretty much in the same boat.

I agree the view is not ideal, but having said that I've gotten by fine and haven't needed to adjust my bars, since I only use my mirrors for keeping tabs on the vehicles around me.

From experience, I'm a firm believer of turning my head and shoulders to actually look behind me before changing lanes.

Tony

· Registered
412 Posts
I'm not convinced that dealers are putting the bars in a completely standard position. I'm tall in the torso and found that I had to adjust the bars in the other direction (up). Not coincidentally, I think, I noticed I'm about 5 inches taller than the guy who said he did the setup work on my bike. :)

Jeff

· Registered
313 Posts
The mirrors used to bother me, but now I am so used to them, I don't notice. I guess I see enough (around my fingers and elbows) to get by. I do have to move my head a bit to get the best view - but it is natural now. And as was mentioned above, I also turn my head to check over my shoulders when changing lanes.

Reactions: bob
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.