CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My friends call me Rich and I hail from the Chain 'O Lakes area of Illinois, just south of the Illinois/Wisconsin state line, about 40 miles west of Lake Michigan.

I just took my first test ride of the CTX1300 this evening and when I got back to the dealer after a quick 20 minute ride I stopped and said "SOLD". While the bike I test rode was a black one, the one I am picking up tomorrow is a Candy Metallic Red one.

This will join my wife and mines stable next to my 2008 Victory Vision Tour and her 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive.

I've had 9 bikes since I started riding on the street (started riding in the dirt when I was 10 years old) and for the most part I have been a touring rider for the past 20 years with an emphasis on pushing the sportability of whatever I am riding (yeah, I'm not afraid to grind the pegs and have made quite a few sport bike riders look silly with my 2003 Goldwing going through Deals Gap, aka "The Dragon"). Here is a list of street bikes in the order which I purchased them.

1991 Suzuki Bandit GSF400 (new) 6,500 miles
1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing (used in 1995) 8,500 miles
1986 Yamaha Venture Royale (used in 1996) 73,800 miles
1999 Honda Goldwing GL1500SE (new in 1999) 86,000 miles
1983 Honda Magna V65 VF1100C (used in 2000) 12,400 miles, scary fast, could lift the front wheel in 3rd gear easily
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 (new in 2002) 67,600 miles
2003 Honda VTX 1800C (new in 2005) 24,400 miles
2008 Victory Vision Tour (new in 2008) 89,000 miles and counting
2007 Victory Kingpin (used in 2009) 17,700 miles (traded in for wife's 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive)
2014 Honda CTX 1300A (new on 4/29/2015)

BTW, I still love my Vision, the long haul comfort level is amazing and combined with the iPod integration and power windshield it makes for a more comfortable ride than my 2003 Goldwing due to the feet forward riding position and 20" long floorboards.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome Rich. Hope you like the new bike. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have really enjoyed my first 400 miles and I'm guessing you will too.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Welcome here Rich! I've had mine for a year now and still can't get enough of riding it.

Say, you're close enough to consider a moto camping/riding event coming up in June that I go to. Just a bit north for you in Spring Green, WI. WAS mostly ST bikes but now seems all makes show up from ST, Wings, Shadows, HD, BMW, and mine. :D
Check out the events forum on this board.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey Rich,
Welcome aboard....
Several of us already know that the Burger is F-U-N.
It's different for different folks of course, but for me, the CTX1300 has been a blast.
I'm using it everywhere...Freeway, highway, side roads, and last week even road it for about 40 miles on dirt/gravel roads in the local national forest. Needless to say, not a good off road bike. I bottomed out the front twice on a couple gully washers, but the rest of my travels have been wonderful.
Nice pic of your motorhome on 2 wheels too. You got a good stable!!!!!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome here Rich! I've had mine for a year now and still can't get enough of riding it.

Say, you're close enough to consider a moto camping/riding event coming up in June that I go to. Just a bit north for you in Spring Green, WI. WAS mostly ST bikes but now seems all makes show up from ST, Wings, Shadows, HD, BMW, and mine. :D
Check out the events forum on this board.
I know of that event, it used to be put on by the Honda Sport Touring Association but I don't know if it still is. My regular weekend riding is usually into the southwest and west central Wisconsin area as well as eastern Iowa (absolutely love riding out to Ball Town and up to Breitbach's restaurant (Breitbach's Country Dining), then up near the Minnesota line, cross eastward over the Big Muddy, then down the Great River Road back to Savannah, Illinois.

I ride with a great bunch of people, mostly Goldwingers but a few H-D riders as well as other metric bikes. Most of us split off from our old GWRRA chapter in 2008 due to a bad attitude by the new chapter staff.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Got her home tonight!
Hey Richard, welcome to the CTX1300 family. Saw you joined the forum as a lifetime member, thanks for the support also.

The photo looks great, I think you'll really enjoy the bike.

Plenty of great people on this forum, settle in and soak up the knowledge.

warning, the use of the CTX1300 forum can pose potential risks to your bank account (farkles!)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I know of that event, it used to be put on by the Honda Sport Touring Association but I don't know if it still is. My regular weekend riding is usually into the southwest and west central Wisconsin area as well as eastern Iowa (absolutely love riding out to Ball Town and up to Breitbach's restaurant (Breitbach's Country Dining), then up near the Minnesota line, cross eastward over the Big Muddy, then down the Great River Road back to Savannah, Illinois.

I ride with a great bunch of people, mostly Goldwingers but a few H-D riders as well as other metric bikes. Most of us split off from our old GWRRA chapter in 2008 due to a bad attitude by the new chapter staff.
The event I go to is officially called LOCSTOC (Land 'O Cheese ST Owners Club) and has always been put on by ST-Owners.com and is hosted by Kevin Elliot from a few towns away from the campground. This June will be the 7th time for this event. Maybe there was another event put on by HSTA in that area, or maybe we're talking of the same group but using different names for it. I've never heard of this group calling themselves HSTA nor being associated with that term. I've been going since 2010 but a member there since 2009.

I am very familiar with NE Iowa and those areas you mentioned. I used to live in DBQ. I also love to ride up there. My route to LOCSTOC this June will take me through there... up to Strawberry Point and cross the river at Prairie du Chien and then on east on 60.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts