CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest bike is a 2012 Versys and I'm gonna keep it for a while, but the seat height seems to get taller as I get older:eek: You know how it is, new bikeitis. I like what I have read about the CTX and I think those who don't like it don't tour very much, or lean toward the sport side more than I do.. Anyway my big question for you is miles per gallon, at interstate speeds. The mags are all over the place in their estimates, dragging the pegs, bouncing off the rev limiter....I mean, would you REALLY race a Buick?? At 73, interstate speeds are my max....... since that last ticket. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
413 Posts
My latest bike is a 2012 Versys and I'm gonna keep it for a while, but the seat height seems to get taller as I get older:eek: You know how it is, new bikeitis. I like what I have read about the CTX and I think those who don't like it don't tour very much, or lean toward the sport side more than I do.. Anyway my big question for you is miles per gallon, at interstate speeds. The mags are all over the place in their estimates, dragging the pegs, bouncing off the rev limiter....I mean, would you REALLY race a Buick?? At 73, interstate speeds are my max....... since that last ticket. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d
I'm 38 and I have never "bounced off the rev limiter." I think that's crap that sport bike rider-reviewers have come up with when writing about this bike.

I consistently get in the 40s on MPG. Low 40s if riding varying road speeds, upper 40s when riding consistently on longer trips. Recently riding from southern IL to PA on a trip over 2 days, I averaged 49MPG.

I've dragged a peg exactly once, going around a familiar 180-degree ramp turn and I guess taking it a bit aggressively. People saying that happens on a regular basis are full of it or are named Marc Marquez.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
What Jeffz said. Figure mid40s overall. Plenty enough range, which I figure motivates your question. Casuse you sure don't buy a machine like this to save money on commuting. :)

As many inquiries and new owners as we're seeing on this forum of late, Honda may need to fire up the assembly line again. Maybe hire menosbe to make their brackets too.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Edit: All that crap I answered and forgot to say Hello and Welcome......go ahead and kick my sorry arse. My mom taught me better manners.

I've not toured on mine yet. Going on trip next month. I ride 300-400 miles putzing around on most rides. I play the photo tag games here in Alabama. So I'm riding forest roads some (10%), freeways(40%), and surface roads (50%). These are my own guesses as to the %.:350x700px-LL-66dd6d
I keep track of my mileage and have since 1979.
Total mileage on my CTX1300 is 6419. Min MPG is 39.01 and max is 53.06. I usually ride +/- 5 of the posted limit. Total fillups is 41. I fill up when I return home from any trip with total mileage over 50 since last fillup.
I've dragged the pegs 4 times, but it was due to roads turning and humps in the curves, not due to aggressive driving.
Ticket? No thanks, I do not like to attend police balls so I just don't purchase the tickets.:cool:
What's a rev limiter? (meaning I've never hit it, I know what it is).
My age? Let's just say @jeffz is the same age as my son pfffffft.
TMI?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was trying to ballpark range per tank at interstate speeds. Speeds less than that should increase range. If I can see 200 miles with a safety margin I am happy, need to stop and walk then anyway. Thanks for the wrlcome

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Two hundred miles will be a snap. I average about 44, and am a tick over sedate. Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Lurk.

I'd have to confirm what everyone else is saying. I don't do the quarter mile every quarter mile, but I'm certainly not light on the throttle, either. I consistently average 47-48 mpg, more if I can stay mostly between 45-60, and less the further I stray from that range in either direction. Also, the more steady you keep your throttle hand, the better. Get a little too spirited with the RPMs or spend too much time in stop-and-go traffic, you can quickly fall under 40 mpg.

I'm very familiar with that new bikeitis myself; but I can honestly say that this bike has cured it for me better and longer than any other in recent memory. Hope you manage to find one in your garage soon. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @Lurk.
What others have said. I find with the massive torque down in the low rpm numbers I can run school zone speeds at or just under 2000 rpm and my instant mpg readout says something over 58 mpg if on level road for more than 1/4 mile! (no stops). Stopping drops it fast though as with any vehicle. I just returned from a moto camping trip of only 725 miles (including a "few" miles around the area curtailed by a little rain) and my average on interstate and state highways stayed around 48-49 mpg per tank. About 47-49 mpg with keeping speed at or just over 65. About 52 mpg if I keep the rpm under 3500 (that's about 63 mph or less). And over 54 if in the 55 mph range. At those numbers the range on a full tank is over 240 miles. I figure I'll be able to comfortably get 220 miles before I NEED to stop for gas just to be comfortable about it. I agree with the 200 mile range and then need to walk around a bit. That's the way I travelled to and from this event. One stop on the way for gas and lunch and finish the trip with about a third of a tank left. I figure it was just over 3 hours riding time non-stop on the first leg each way and two hours to get to the destination after that. I will say this is the first bike I've been on that has a stock seat I can sit in for that duration without any issues. :D

Oh, and as a side note. Due to limited availability of other options I almost always use ethanol (e10) in the tank. Just for perspective. Also, mpg increases rather rapidly tank to tank from new as the miles pile on up to at least a few thousand miles. Then it seems to level off yet keeps going higher a very little bit with each 1000 miles added. I have over 9800 miles so far now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts