CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my helmet tomorrow. As far as how they fit. I know which one I'm getting. Just have to fig out the size. First one I tried on, was little snug on my forehead and cheekbones. I went next size up. Really did not feel the pressure on forehead or cheekbones. Might of even had just a little play in it. Do the inside of the helmets tend lossen up some? How snug is to snug and how lose is to lose? If I go with the one that was a little snug. After wearing it some, will it lossen up some?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Will it loosen up? Yes, a little.
How tight? Tight enough when you shake your head, the helmet doesn't turn or move on your head.
What is too tight? Two possibilities here: one is that it is too tight or too small. 2nd is the shape may be wrong for your head and create points that you really feel after about 30 minutes and it becomes worse. creases in the insert or where it attaches to the helmet.
For example there are 3 main shapes to helmets. Oval, intermediate oval, and long oval.
Oval is what most heads are. But there are plenty of us that have a head that is longer front to back than side to side.
Don't use it if it doesn't fit. If it is too loose, it can make the difference between laughing at the accident and repairing a bike vs a funeral(or eating through a straw).
Most brands offer cheekpads that you can use for the in between fit, meaning the helmet you choose is just a little tight but the next size is too large, so you buy smaller cheek pads to compensate..
Do you wear glasses? Side pressure can make an otherwise perfect helmet give you some real pain once glasses are on.
Others will chime in with some things I left out or maybe point you to a website.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
That covers it pretty well. As said, size is right when your skin moves when you move the helmet, but doesn't slide around. Shape is as important as size to me. I tried some helmets and knew right away they were the wrong shape for me. They would be loose front to back and very tight side to side. Too tight in any dimension will show up if you wear it for a while in the shop. After 10-15 minutes are there pressure points that cause a headache? too tight then or wrong shape. The right fit will be one that holds your head evenly all around, or as close as you can get to that, and is what may seem very snug. the padding does loosen up after a few weeks of wearing. Many makers of helmets also have larger or smaller cheek pads you can replace the stock ones with if all else fits right. Also, if everything else is right in the fit but there is one spot, say the forehead, that seems to be a pressure point I've heard of riders using a spoon (you know, dinner tool) to compress the Styrofoam at that spot just a bit. Not the best idea since that reduces the protection at that point but it does make it more comfortable for some having a hard time with fitting a helmet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you wear glasses (I do) some check pads have tappers.

General rule of thumb is it should move you skin. That is to say full contact. A helmet that is too big is as dangerous, sometimes more so, than no helmet. After you put it on, try pulling from the back forward. If it rolls over your head; too big. Try the same from the front. Same deal. Most cities of any size will have helmet only shops with stupid large selection. It is their sole business, not an after thought. Those guys have a lot of knowledge. and will be happy to spend the time you need to find one that fits properly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The fitting examples given sum it up really well. The cheek pads will pack down a little with use.

I would however not limit yourself to only one model. I have found that the actual shape from one manufacturer to another can vary. As all of our heads are a different shape, I would suggest that you try on helmets from various manufacturers and you may find one that just fits better and is more comfortable.

For example I tried on a Suomi which is a really nice helmet but I couldn't wear one as the shape was just wrong for my head.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would however not limit yourself to only one model. I have found that the actual shape from one manufacturer to another can vary. As all of our heads are a different shape, I would suggest that you try on helmets from various manufacturers and you may find one that just fits better and is more comfortable.
Good advice, I know the OP said they had one picked out. Shop fit among quality certified brands, then look for features as you wish among that brand.

Have had lots over the years. They all fit a bit different. Only once did I shop feature over fit (Shoei "motard" when it first came out). I think that worked only because that brand is a good fit for my shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts