CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent ride with passenger we stopped for lunch. Then there was the matter of setting the helmets someplace (besides the ground-bugs) where they wouldn't fall off. Since there isn't a convenient helmet lock I installed these pegs which are a easy install. They replace the clutch or brake lever hinge bolt. I had these on a Wing and they worked great on a trip with the trunk full. You can also find small padlocks that will fit in the slot after you slip your d-ring on the peg and lock em on. $20

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can also find small padlocks that will fit in the slot after you slip your d-ring on the peg and lock em on. $20
Do you any of the said padlocks? I would like to see a picture of the helmet hanging on the peg - and locked if possible.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Yeah.... Me too please. If not too much trouble could you please take a picture with your helmet on the peg so I can see how you set the helmet on them. I'm assuming that you would put the padlock there where the notched out part of the peg?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah.... Me too please. If not too much trouble could you please take a picture with your helmet on the peg so I can see how you set the helmet on them. I'm assuming that you would put the padlock there where the notched out part of the peg?
Sorry for the delay in posting these pics. Finally had some nice weather in mid MO and actually got out to ride.
I'm still looking for my locks. Haven't used em in a while but I believe I got them at a luggage store.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Can't tell tho, does your helmet hang free of the plastic on that side? Otherwise you'll wind up with scratches in the paint. Goldwingers complain all the time about scratches on the rear panels where they hang their helmets underneath the rear trunk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for posting this tip. I ordered a slight variation of the 6mm pegs that replace the lever pivot bolts and got a 10mm peg that mounts in the unused mirror mounting hole (since I took off my bar mounted mirrors).

If anyone is looking online for similar pegs just include "goldwing" or "GL" in your searches since it seems to be a popular accessory for the Wing crowd.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pics. Can't tell tho, does your helmet hang free of the plastic on that side? Otherwise you'll wind up with scratches in the paint. Goldwingers complain all the time about scratches on the rear panels where they hang their helmets underneath the rear trunk.
The helmets do end up against the plastic. I originally was looking for a 10mm peg to use that spot on the clutch and brake reservoirs but the parts guy came up with the 6mm so I got em. I believe he ordered them from Tucker Rocky. I think I will try to find the 10mm as they would change the position of the helmets. Maybe Huladog could post a pic of his.
Those helmet hangers on the Wings were nice but I have seen a helmet full of water too. Ya gotta watch how ya hang em.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just located and ordered 10mm pegs. Bigbikeparts.com part #53-443 Helmet Holder Stud 10mm. $3.99 each. Ordered two, with $2.95 shipping, total $10.93.
I guess sometimes ya just need to search yourself before depending on the parts guy.
Hope this saves somebody the trouble and a little cash.
They also list the brass padlocks to fit the peg.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On a recent ride with passenger we stopped for lunch. Then there was the matter of setting the helmets someplace (besides the ground-bugs) where they wouldn't fall off. Since there isn't a convenient helmet lock I installed these pegs which are a easy install. They replace the clutch or brake lever hinge bolt. I had these on a Wing and they worked great on a trip with the trunk full. You can also find small padlocks that will fit in the slot after you slip your d-ring on the peg and lock em on. $20
slicker-than-whalesnot ... im buying some

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
... but I have seen a helmet full of water too. Ya gotta watch how ya hang em.
That's why I prefer to use the retracting cable lock, like used with bicycles to lock my helmet to the center of the handlebar and set my helmet on the top shelter right side up with the visor closed. The helmet is sitting with the padded bottom against the plastic and if it rains it's still dry inside. :)
Also keeps leaves and bird droppings out. :eek:
I keep the lock in the left storage box. Will post a photo later when I have opportunity to take one or two.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Here's the photos of what I do. You can see in the second photo the retractable cable around the center CTX between the riser clamps. It is also through the D-rings of the helmet strap. The helmet is held in place so it doesn't fall and is right side up so it stays dry inside if raining and also keeps out any junk that might fall into/onto it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
10mm Helmet Peg Pics

Sorry it took so long but here are some pics of that 10mm peg that mounts in the unused mirror mounting hole.

Noticed something that wasn't obvious when I first installed the peg. For me it is right in the middle of my line-of-sight looking at the mirror, it's smack dab in the middle of the mirror view. In the attached pic I sort of exaggerated how it looks since I'm short and you taller guys may be looking into the mirror from a higher angle that won't create the problem.

Ignore the ugly bar ends, I was experimenting with riding the bike without the bar end weights and screwed on something I had laying around to cover the open ends.

In the other pics I was trying to show what others have noted about the helmet touching the bodywork when laying there. I tried different ways of hanging the helmet but the D-ring or by the secured strap but the helmet ends up touching the plastic.

I'm going to play around with using a carabiner to let the helmet hang off the back end of my rear carrier since it seems to be way out there.

With those notes in mind I removed the helmet peg so if anyone has read this far and wants to try the chrome 10mm helmet peg, just PM me through the forum and I'll mail it off to you for free.

Rather have someone on the forum using it instead of having it sit in my bin-of-orphan-fasteners.

Aloha,
Huladog

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts