CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What would you recommend for a helmet? I have a Gmax and an HJC but was wondering what others prefer for use on the CTX. Thx
I use a Bell Qualifier ($109) lighter, quieter, and defiantly more than the Gmax that I have. But unless you know what type of a helmet (cheap, quite, comfortable, modular...etc) you want no one can give you a good answer. In other words what is impotent to you in a helmet...etc.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Tried a couple of open-face HJC but I returned both and got a vine red Shoei J-Cruise which is perfect (the integrated sun-shield is so much better than wearing sunglasses)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I like the Gmax for its versatility but I used and older full face helmet I have and found it much quieter. Unfortunately I have a giant noggin and it's also a bit small. I know that a modular is going to be louder due to its design but I was surprised by the difference.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I was going to ask what style of helmet you prefer but you sort of answered that in your last post. I prefer full face helmets now. I used to have a HJC SyMax II modular that worked very well for me. Since I always wear ear plugs the added noise from the design (modular) wasn't all that noticeable. Since I replaced my glasses some years ago I've needed to put them on after the helmet, which was why I went with modular in the first place. So I returned to a full face helmet now and currently have a HJC IS-17 Intake Hi-Viz with integrated sun shield. It is much quieter than my previous modular helmets and fits my noggin really well. Your head shape will determine much about what model and what brand helmet works. All I can say is try on a LOT of different helmets as possible to determine what will work best. Wear it for at least 15 minutes around the store to determine if there are "hot spots" or pressure spots that would disqualify it for you. I agree that all modular helmets will be noisier than a full face. Open face, or other more open helmets will also be noisier. I started my riding career with an open face helmet and then went full face... then modular... now back to full face.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I went back and forth between modular and full face. Finally made it back to full face. I wear an Icon Alliance Dark which comes with a clear and dark visor. I wear glasses and the helmet snugs the glasses up nicely and I have the tinted shade if I need it. One thing I really like about Icon is that they're comfy and the shell is small compared to others. With all my HJC's I felt like I was wearing a bucket on my head.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Why did you guys give up modular and go back to fullface?

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 on what Bob said about head shape. There are lots of fitment guides on the web that talk about which brands fit which specific shapes, I'd definitely check those out. I use a Shoei RF-1200, it's super quiet and comfortable, with great ventilation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shoei Qwest in white is my full-face go-to helmet. It replaced my old Nolan N43 Trilogy helmet which was sort of an open-face that had an optional chin protector you could snap in. That was a neat idea but since the chin protector was too close to my chin, I never rode with it on, which made for just an open face helmet.

I've got a smoke gradient visor on the Qwest, which is enough tint for most days here around Pittsburgh, but I'll also add sunglasses on those rare bright sunny days.

Consider air flow too. You don't want to buy a full-face helmet with vents designed for a sport bike where you lean forward, then sit on a CTX behind a shield. You'll get no air flow. The Qwest and its like are designed with a top vent just slightly forward of the crown so it catches air when a rider is sitting straight up.

When I ride with my wife, since we haven't invested in bluetooth communicators yet, we each wear a Biltwell Bonanza open-face helmet. They're kind of retro styled basic helmets but with an attractive smaller shell. We can hear each other talk, and Biltwell makes nifty bubble shields you can snap on them. The downside is no venting on these.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I've grown to rely on Shoei for helmets that feel good, and offer sizes that will accommodate a larger melon (my situation). The additional protection of a full face is a plus as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've grown to rely on Shoei for helmets that feel good, and offer sizes that will accommodate a larger melon (my situation). The additional protection of a full face is a plus as well.
Yes. I should have mentioned that I've never felt as secure in the fit of a helmet as I do with my Shoei Qwest. At $350 it wasn't cheap, but not exorbitant either. Well worth the money. And Snell certified.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
The answer is go to a motorcycle shop and try on different brands since heads come in all different sizes and shapes and so do helmets. If you find one that comes really close to style and comfort take it home and get the dremel ready. I take out the cloth pads and shave millimeters with the dremel where the problem Styrofoam spots are irritating your melon. This is the wheel I use. 543 Cutting/Shaping Wheel / Model: 543

Don't forget to run a vacuum inside the helmet while you are shaving the Styrofoam.
I use a Bell RS1 in 2XL and really like the performance. This model is DOT and SNELL approved. I have a Sena SMH-10 bluetooth in the helmet and it works great without discomfort to communicate with my spouse.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Why did you guys give up modular and go back to fullface?
For me it was a matter of safety. It is shown that 64% of all injury to the head happens up front between the forehead and the neck. A modular helmet does provide some protection for the chin and face but not as much as a full face helmet. The latching mechanism of the modular chin bar is not nearly as strong as a one piece shell. Also the modular helmets tend to have more wind noise due to the design. I had a Bell Star FF a long time ago and when I bought the GL1500 it came with open face helmets that I stuck with for a few years. I wanted more protection than that but wanted to avoid the need to take off my glasses to put on my helmet so went with the modular. Then my glasses changed and I could no longer get away with putting the helmet on without removing the glasses. I did that (remove glasses-don helmet-put on glasses) for a while with the modular and after a few years of that gave up and decided to return to the FF for safety reasons since there was no longer a convenience factor with the glasses involved. Funny how sometimes convenience gets in the way of or compromises safety. It's all about what happens when you do a face plant in the pavement on the way down. :eek:

PS- this safety factor is also why I never ride with the visor or chin bar up. In a modular helmet with a chin bar up adds a LOT of weight and mass up high that can cause neck injury just by being bumped around without even going down. It also is a sail for strong winds to grab. The visor up means no protection from flying bits and junk that will make it past ANY shield no matter how tall or wide. (my GL1500 Tulsa tall shield was way over my helmet and very wide also but junk would make it past and hit my face area in spite of that). Visor down is the only way to add that protection, and that is also why I will never again have a shield I cannot look well over (to avoid looking through many layers of plastic).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, never thought to customize the interior for a custom fit. When I first got my ctx I had an open face and switched to the modular within to week because of the noise with the short shield. Ironically I was hit in the face by a bird and the shield likely saved me from a collision!

I also had a Shoei back in my early days and loved it for its fit. At the time the local dealer had a sign above the helmet rack that said " If you have a $50 head then buy a $50 helmet! " which sealed the deal for my Shoei purchase. Weather permitting I see a dealer tour this weekend for helmet research (-;

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have too many...a Modular...too noisy....a Bell pit boss.....like it.....an Icon full face and a LS2 three quarter (retro)....I find myself wearing the full face more and more now.

Bottom line try many different ones as I found that the shape of some of the moulds made it so that I wouldn't be able to wear them....for example I was looking at a Suomi and found that the general shape was not comfortable for me.....

Looking to go to a Shoei or Arai full face.......

:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes. I should have mentioned that I've never felt as secure in the fit of a helmet as I do with my Shoei Qwest. At $350 it wasn't cheap, but not exorbitant either. Well worth the money. And Snell certified.

Jeff

Shoei Qwest is prolly the best helmet under $500.

Since my audio was put in Ive been wearing my open face which I vouched not to do after highsiding and landing on my face back in march.
That helmet was an Icon Airframe which I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shoei Qwest is prolly the best helmet under $500.

Since my audio was put in Ive been wearing my open face which I vouched not to do after highsiding and landing on my face back in march.
That helmet was an Icon Airframe which I would highly recommend.
Sadly the audio on the bike is mostly useless with the Qwest, except for in traffic jams. I'll fire it up and crack my visor open and can hear it just fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a HJC modular years ago for winter riding on my HD. I recently bought the Scorpion EXO900 and love it. It's a lot quieter than my HJC and it converts to an open face if your so inclined. It also has the sun visor which I use all the time. They run small so they say to go up a size; which I did. But, it was still too small so I had to go up two sizes. My only complaint is I bought a Sena 20s intercom and can't use the 'clamp' system to attach it to the helmet because of the wide bottom frame. The Sena does come with an alternative way to secure it to the helmet using sticky tape (or whatever they call it). I have to admit it is very secure; but time will tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts