CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride this morning and eveything was fine on my CTX1300 standard. I went to go for a ride after work so I startted it up and went to push it backing up out of my garage and my rear brake started to engage not letting me back up anymore. I grabbed the front brake and it went straight to the handle bar without any resistance or pressure. I do not have ABS on this model. I probably have only 1200 miles on it and it is 2 months old. What has happened? There is no sign of leaking brake fluid and the front reservoir is full.

Any help would be appreciated before i call a tow truck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I cannot tell without seeing the bike in person and I would rather not hazard a guess.

(WARNING: long story follows)

If it were my bike, I would double check fluid level in both reservoirs (noting that the front one has a floater and the original OEM fluid looks scarily close to air/nothingness; and that the rear one needs a good flashlight to tell the level from the background).

I would then proceed to check the brake pads and rotors for obvious damage/warpage/dirt stuck between pads and rotors. I would then move on to a thorough visual check of all piping (hoses, pipes, banjos -- all of them) to check that nothing bad happened to them.

Assuming ALL is perfectly fine so far and the symptoms remain (front brake to the bar with no action; rear brake stuck on), I'd start separate diagnosis.

I'd start with the rear and check whether the pedal still moves or is also stuck. If it still moves (even after 5-10 pushes on it), then the problem most likely lays downstream from the pump: either the rear caliper or the proportioning/delay valve. I would push the brake pedal and check whether the single front piston connected to it also works AND lets go when I lift my foot. If that's fine, then the fault is somewhere between the delay valve and the rear caliper (inclusive).

I would open the bleed nipple on the rear caliper and check whether the brakes suddenly let go. If they don't, then the caliper or the pistons are faulty -- I'd take the whole thing out and go on with a thorough (forensic style) disassembly, clean, overhaul and re-assembly.

If the brakes did let go when I opened the bleed nipple, then the delay valve is faulty. Same story as above: extract, clean the **** out of it, test, put back.

It goes without saying that if we get to opening any connection in the brake system like described above, the entire fluid is to be considered compromised. The system is to be purged via vacuum until the reservoir runs dry, filled and bled anew.

Moving on to the front brakes, I would first proceed with bleeding them. If this fixes the issue, we're done. If not (i.e. they don't seem to allow themselves to be bled effectively), then the master cylinder is probably faulty. I would remove it and (you know the drill now) disassemble, clean, overhaul, reassemble.

Since the entire system is supposed to be closed (pressure tight, even!) and with a known good master cylinder (i.e. pump), re-filling it and bleeding it should result either in working brakes OR a leak should become apparent at this time. Address the leak, refill, re-bleed and that should be it.

Hope this helps.

ing on

Reactions: JBone

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply and it is helping I really appreciate it. I am currently checking fluid levels and it looks like there may be none in the system and a look of a leaking fluid on the rear rim. I am about to take off the caps and check inside of each and continue from there.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Both brakes at same time? Have you recently PO'd a girlfriend/wife? Yes, I joke a lot, but I'm seriously asking this time?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife would never do that especially since I take my daughter to high school on the back in the mornings I'm just glad it did not happen then.

As far as both brakes at the same time it is my understanding they are linked so I assume they share in some of the fluid channeling. I will look further tomorrow. I have 2 younger ones in baseball so time is very hard to come by. Thanks for your concern lol but she is also a motorcyclist and owns a Ninja 250. She often gets more piloting time than I do.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The brakes are linked but not completely. IIRC from the manual, the front controls the front only, while the back controls the back and one pot on the front. Separate hydraulic circuits, separate pumps and reservoirs. The ABS version doesn't change that, the circuits remain separate even in the ABS modulator.

Yes, that's why there's more than one bleed nipple at the front ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Yes, as @csdexter stated, they are separate and the only "linking" is the one piston in front is linked to the rear system. Otherwise the rest of the front system is separate. I was also thinking it's very odd that both systems have issues, though it sounds like different issues in front and rear systems. The front brake lever having no resistance would be confirmed by no fluid in that system, but the rear brake caliper gripping and stuck there may possibly be an entirely different cause. Just odd that both would have an issue (either the same or different) at the same time unless there was foul play at work or simply a cosmic rarity of coincidence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have decided that I don't have the time or expertise to take on this problem I was hoping for maybe a blown fuse or something. I am calling a tow truck and letting the dealer take care of it since it is still under warranty. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just received a call from the dealer and they found the cause of the brake failure. After the dealer heard back from Honda who said they have never had any such issues with the braking system. The dealer pulled apart the front caliper and found some road debris, a piece of rubber like a hose or a Ballon jammed in the caliper. The dealer said it is ready and I am going to pick it up. Just want to thank the dealer for squeezing me in under such short notice especially since there is a 4 week backlog of his regular work. On my way to go pick up my girlfriend! (that is what my wife calls my bike). Thanks again for all your help I will be in the wind again!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
On my way to go pick up my girlfriend! (that is what my wife calls my bike). Thanks again for all your help I will be in the wind again!
Same as my wife!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts