CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the styling and have a CB1100 which I love and believe honda went the extra mile to ensure the CB was perfect in an almost flagship kind of way.
The CB is smooth over all but some 4 cylinder buzziness creeps in at times, I hear the Ctx is even smoother which appeals to me. I also have a Harley Low Rider, it's rubber mounted and shakes quite a bit at idle, but is super smooth after that.
So I like the styling, I'm 99% sure it will handle the twisties, I love the way i feel sitting on it, very natural. Also it feels very plush almost bouncy, not sure why some complain about the harsh suspension, My only concern is power, It doesn't have to be a rocket ship, but I like a good thrill now and again. The CB is supposed to do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and I read somewhere that the Ctx does it in 4.0 so it Seems OK. 76 hp and 76 lbs of torque is pretty good at the rear wheel but for a bike that weighs 732 lbs I'm not sure.
Can I get real people's seat of the pants opinions please?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looking at all your requirements and statistics, it would seem you've answered your own question:smile:

You like the CTX looks
You like the CTX feel
You like the CTX specs
You like Honda

Properly handled on a proper road, virtually every bike will give a "thrill" (of course you can really get a thrill mishandling as well...:tongue:)

The CTX will give you a thrill. And you'll look good doing it!

So why in the world are you still at your keyboard and not at the Honda dealership with your checkbook?:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have a candy red but told me after the 1st of the month honda reduced the rebate, so they want 12999 plus the bs fees for a standard. I prefer to listen to my music thru ear buds so I don't need the deluxe, but kind of like the looks of it better, is 12999 too much for a standard?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
They have a candy red but told me after the 1st of the month honda reduced the rebate, so they want 12999 plus the bs fees for a standard. I prefer to listen to my music thru ear buds so I don't need the deluxe, but kind of like the looks of it better, is 12999 too much for a standard?
I confess, I paid much more than that for mine. But then I put the deposit down on it before it had even shipped to the dealer, never mind taking a test ride. The reality is, it's worth what you're willing to pay for it. Of course you don't want to just throw money away, so maybe do a little homework and shop around within a few hundred miles of home. Web site or phone call to other dealers to see what they're offering. Find the best price, go to your favorite dealer and see if he'll match or at least come down a little. Then it's a matter of if the price is worth it to you. Or just go drop a deposit, because $12,999 still isn't bad at all.

I had a hunch prices would probably come down (no idea they'd come down as much as they did), but I didn't care -- this was the bike I'd been waiting for Honda to build for about 10 years. The rate was good, the payment is very manageable, I had to have this bike. Deal done.

All that being said, don't get hung up on hp and torque numbers. This bike goes just fine, most likely better than your Low Rider, unless you've got some $$$ sunk into it. I had a 1600 Thunderbird and a VTX1800, and I have no complaints whatsoever about the CTX's performance. It doesn't have the same off-the-line punch as a big twin, but it isn't a slouch, either. The torque curve is very flat and comes in pretty low for a four, so it just goes and goes and goes right up to red line, and then you'd better hope Mr. LEO isn't around, because it will get you into plenty of trouble without much thought. And the only thing I've ridden that's smoother than this motor is my buddy's Valkyrie.

The seat is the most comfortable I've had from a factory, and more comfortable than some after-market saddles.

The looks, well, nothing to tell you there.

I find the riding position to be more comfortable than both a foot-forward position of some cruisers and even the foot-under position of the Gold Wing. I won't even mention the pseud-crouch of the ST, much less the full-crouch of a crotch rocket.

Like I said, this is the bike I'd been wanting/waiting for Honda to build for 10 years; it's all I had hoped it would be and more.

Now go test ride one.

And then let us know if after all that you still need a nudge. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I suggest putting out a few emails or use dealer web sites, or even Honda's web site, to ask for quotes from maybe 150-200 miles out just to compare. I did that and rode 145 miles to get mine at significant savings... for the time I bought it.

As to any decision... A V4 engine mounted longitudinally will always be smoother than an inline in my experience. Of course the flat 6 is (3 each side) is smoother but bigger since that's the GL1800. This engine has a very reliable history in the ST1300 going back 12+ years so it's proven to be bullet proof (see the ST-Owners.com forums for all kinds of ins and outs on this engine). As to torque, it matters a great deal WHERE that happens. V-twins have it concentrated down in the low RPMs. The ST1300 has it concentrated in higher RPMs. The CTX1300 has it low. This bike has more power (torque and HP) than the ST has below 5000 rpm. Though the ST has much more of both at peak, you have to rev the engine up over 5000 rpm to get it. In 5th gear at 5000 rpm you'd be going around 95 mph. So no problem with power there. Torque curve is very flat, even compared with other cruisers. It has also been shown on this bike that running the curves is no issue. Not as much clearance as the ST, but doesn't need it. A very good curvy road rider can outrun the average ST rider in the twisties on this bike (I've even seen it done with a GL1800 and the CTX has more clearance that that one). So this bike can be lots of fun if you really want it. :D

$12999 is not too bad overall, but I bet somewhere near you there can be found something a bit better... maybe.

Did you get that good deal somewhere yet?

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Take a test ride. A long one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
They have a candy red but told me after the 1st of the month honda reduced the rebate,

Find another dealership. :wink:

I expressed concern that it was taking so long to for mine to arrive and afraid the rebates would expire on 3/31 (as advertised by Honda). My dealer confirmed for me on two occasions that Honda's prices were solid through June.

And yes, $12999 for a Standard is more than a Deluxe is going for in most areas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll help push you off the fence

Interesting trio of bikes you metioned since I sold my 2013 CB1100 and was seriously going to get a new Low Rider when they reintroduced it with the cast wheels and dual front disks. Then Honda started dealing with Bonus Bucks and I started shopping my local dealer and west coast dealers to get some prices.

Comparing the bikes, yes the CB1100 IS smooth since it's an inline-4 but you do get some buziness at higher RPM especially on the earlier model since it came with a 5-speed versus the later model with the 6-speed. RPM reduction at cruise said to be noticeable.

I liked the CB1100 because it was so compact and solid (I also liked my Sportster for the same reasons) and with the relatively narrow rear tire it would drop into turns just thinking about it and would was light on it's feet because of the tire sizes.

Light precision shifting transmission (what else would you expect from a Honda 4?) with the hydraulic clutch.

Why did I get the CTX? For the comfort and an even SMOOTHER engine. I missed the convenience of hard bags and a big fat seat.

Riding the CB1100 I would keep feeling like I needed one higher gear at cruise even though I had added a gear indicator. On the CTX its so smooth I am surprised sometimes that I'm cruising in 3rd or 4th when I really throught I was in top gear. Some feel the engine is old-fashioned for not having 6 speeds but like the also bullet-proof Yamaha FJR1300 seems like 5 properly spaced gears works fine.

Torque? At first I thought the V-4 was a little light on torque off the line (I used to ride a Street Glide a few years ago), but as I got used to the clutch feel and slightly different engine character I realized the V-4 WILL pull right off idle with little throttle needed. Again its so smooth that you just don't realize it will pull strongly without the expected thumping torque you expect on a Big Twin.

Handling? I thought that fat rear tire would hinder dropping into a curve. Nope! The CTX is nimble and easily drops into a turn and will rise up out of a turn to flop over to the other side almost as easily as my CB1100 used to. The engineers did their homework.

Shoot me an email if you want details comparing the CB1100 and CTX1300!

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love the styling and have a CB1100 which I love and believe honda went the extra mile to ensure the CB was perfect in an almost flagship kind of way.
The CB is smooth over all but some 4 cylinder buzziness creeps in at times, I hear the Ctx is even smoother which appeals to me. I also have a Harley Low Rider, it's rubber mounted and shakes quite a bit at idle, but is super smooth after that.
So I like the styling, I'm 99% sure it will handle the twisties, I love the way i feel sitting on it, very natural. Also it feels very plush almost bouncy, not sure why some complain about the harsh suspension, My only concern is power, It doesn't have to be a rocket ship, but I like a good thrill now and again. The CB is supposed to do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and I read somewhere that the Ctx does it in 4.0 so it Seems OK. 76 hp and 76 lbs of torque is pretty good at the rear wheel but for a bike that weighs 732 lbs I'm not sure.
Can I get real people's seat of the pants opinions please?
ride the Valkyrie and CTX1300 and compare your power/comfort/style needs. Honda gives you a ton ot low end torque and thrill, but if you want a little more boost, myabe the Valkyrie is a choice for you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still looking for a red deluxe at a fair price,

I want 1! I think it will make a perfect stable mate for the CB! I've read the torque curve is down low and actually have heard the St 1300 would be better off with the re-tuned CTX engine, I haven't test ridden 1, nor did I test ride the CB, just went with my gut.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got approved on a black deluxe for $12300 OTD, now I need to decide whether to pull the trigger, haven't had a test ride, don't think they offer them

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Got approved on a black deluxe for $12300 OTD, now I need to decide whether to pull the trigger, haven't had a test ride, don't think they offer them

Sounds like a good deal!
As to the test ride... I have a few dealers around here like that. I won't do business with them for that reason. They also won't budge much, usually, from MSRP prices so it's easy to avoid them. Glad we have better dealers around here that do allow test rides knowing they will sell more bikes that way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts