CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda VFR, 2009 Honda ST1300, 2011 Suzuki M109
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 1300 deluxe for sale on this forum with 89,000 miles on it. One of the comments in that post mentions another 1300 with 90,000 miles! Most miles I ever put on a bike was 42,000 and I thought that was high mileage!!

Makes me wonder how many miles on a motorcycle is too many miles? Engine may be OK if it was taken care of but what about other potential issues that high mileage may affect.? e.g. timer chain (does the CTX have one?), frame stress, bearings, wiring, connectors, forks, etc. On a well maintained car, 90,000 miles doesn't mean much..... is is high mileage on a motorcycle similar?

·
Registered
315 Posts
It isn't uncommon for the ST 1300 version of this drivetrain to run for 200,000 or even 300,000 miles with no major repairs. As for the rest of the CTX only time will tell but it's a Honda so there aren't likely to be any issues.

Reactions: fbnewell1 and bob

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
I personally know the guy on a ST1300 (same engine as in the CTX1300) who turned over 300,000 miles this year. Not a problem and his ST is still going strong. He rides from Pensacola to Wisconsin a few times as well as many other MidWestern states and points east and west of there regularly. In fact I met him at the ST event in Wisconsin in September just about the time he passed that 300K mark when he rode from FL to WI in one day leaving early morning and arriving 13 hours later! BTW- if it's the CTX I am thinking of I know that rider personally and he does take care of his machines very well.

So somewhere between 50K and 90K miles is when this engine is just broken in. Not a problem. All bikes have relatively minor issues from time to time but bikes from Honda seem to last and have no major issues if well taken care of.

Edit: Just rechecked the classifieds. The bike with 89K is Otto's bike and is a good one. The rider I personally know is the other bike for sale with 97K on it. Both are well taken care of.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
While not a CTX I had 118000+ on my 93 Wing and it was going strong up to the point of me going off road and totaling it. That was just with normal maintenance. Only breakdown ever was a Alt went out. Of course it did it headed home leaving Lake George NY on a Sunday morning. Timing is everything.🤣

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had over 145,000 miles on my first ST1100 when I traded it. I never had to replace a valve shim in all those miles. The only big work was replacing the timing belt. And it came out looking like it could have lasted another 50,000 miles.

Honda V4s are extremely durable.

Reactions: fbnewell1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts