CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Stebel Nautilus horns on past bikes, so I'm a believer in changing the horn to something more attention grabbing. I've had a WOLO Loud One low tone from an auto parts store under there on the CTX, and although it never hit the fender, I felt it would if I bottomed out. Sounded pretty good, like a car horn. Just a disc horn with a plastic trumpet

I ordered a Hella Supertone from Amazon for $31. Much bigger and heavier than I thought it would be. No plastic in this thing. Bracket is tripled though so nice and sturdy. Clearance is much better and I don't think it will ever hit the fender. It sits further back, nearly touching the radiator. Only thing had to do was pull the horn wire out of the retainer for some more length and rotate the terminals some on the horn so the connections reach. This thing sounds awesome and it's very loud. Highly recommend this to anyone looking to replace the meep... meep... stock horn. Mark

·
Registered
168 Posts
meep meep :D looks nice.

I made two little ones instead of the original.
First tryded to put a stebel instead but that hit the fender in extreem cases.

Attachments

Reactions: willajabir

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Moved to Electronics forum.
This is my post about what what I added. I kept the original horn as backup and added a 132db horn with trumpet from the local Auto Zone store. They let me try it out before buying it just to be sure there wasn't a problem with it. The Fiamm horn I bought from Amazon was a bust since it didn't work. I waited too long to return that one so just threw it away (was a very low price so considered that cost of experience). I have always found on past bikes that when anything is sharing a circuit with the horns the sound is a bit less so I always dedicate power just to the horns as I did here and used the factory horn wires to operate the relay that sounds the horns. Even the factory horn alone sounds louder this way. I used to have a Stebel on my last 2 bikes but didn't find any place to put one on this bike so went this direction instead. Did some research on db ratings and found that most give ratings at one or two meters from source, and tell you how far they measured from. I found that Stebel takes their ratings from much much closer to source! I calculated what the db is for a Stebel at 2 meters and found it to be 121 db.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info. I guess I will see how it goes. I don't use my horm much and when I do its just a few taps. I would think the stock wiring for the short run can handle that. I wish I could have got a Stebel in there. The Hella site says this is 114 db at 2m. It's not that high pitched stebel blast though, much lower tone. I like it.

Moved to Electronics forum.
This is my post about what what I added. I kept the original horn as backup and added a 132db horn with trumpet from the local Auto Zone store. They let me try it out before buying it just to be sure there wasn't a problem with it. The Fiamm horn I bought from Amazon was a bust since it didn't work. I waited too long to return that one so just threw it away (was a very low price so considered that cost of experience). I have always found on past bikes that when anything is sharing a circuit with the horns the sound is a bit less so I always dedicate power just to the horns as I did here and used the factory horn wires to operate the relay that sounds the horns. Even the factory horn alone sounds louder this way. I used to have a Stebel on my last 2 bikes but didn't find any place to put one on this bike so went this direction instead. Did some research on db ratings and found that most give ratings at one or two meters from source, and tell you how far they measured from. I found that Stebel takes their ratings from much much closer to source! I calculated what the db is for a Stebel at 2 meters and found it to be 121 db.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finally got fed up with the meep-meep horn on my CTX either not being heard or just ignored by other drivers. To upgrade I started with Patriot Jimmys recommendation (see below) and added the Hella Supertone ([email protected]) but went with the High Tone. To this I added a Wolo air horn I picked up at Autozone for $16. Still have 4" clearance from fender to the bottom of the Wolo. And to make sure I had the power I needed to drive the combination I wired it with a dedicated Dual Horn 20 amp wire harness from Cycle Terminal ($45)

http://www.cycleterminal.com/horn-kits.html

SUPER, SUPER LOUD WITH A DISTINCT HIGH/LOW DISSONANCE. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, Jimmy Patriot. How is the replacement horn holding up on the original wiring/circuit ?
I am looking at replacing my horn with one that draws 5 amps and was wondering if you have had problems since replacing yours. Thanks.
Horn still works fine every time I need it......:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone looked at the Denali Soundbomb Mini horn? It looks like it ought to fit the CTX as a replacement for the stock horn and puts out 113 db. $30 at Twisted Throttle.

DENALI SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Horn - TwistedThrottle.com
In case anyone is interested, I installed the Denali SoundBomb horn that Will B was asking about. I used the link that he provided and purchased from TwistedThrottle.com. Other than adjusting position of the new horn to avoid contact when moving the handlebars from side to side, it was plug and play. Sounds way better than the scooter horn that was on there. Documentation says that it draws 5 amps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mounted one of these CHSKY horns, Chinese, US$ 7.70, 115db, 410Hz some days ago to replace the original toy horn. The Chinese horn is pretty loud and has already proven effective three times ;-)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts