CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think there's any argument about the horn on this bike being almost comically tweaky. The original horn on the Thunderbird was the exact opposite -- sounding basically like a single car horn. But it had to be replaced to install the Triumph engine guard with ... ugghhh ... a tweaky horn. But the good news is, I kept the old original.

Which fits almost perfectly where the stock Honda horn goes -- leading to my second success story of the night. Took a little fiddling to get the mounting bar angled right and the horn itself pointing to the side to keep rain and road crud out (it's got a fairly large opening like a car horn, not a pancake like the stocker), and had to bend the bar a bit to keep it from rattling against the triple tree clamp. Also had to bend the electrical connectors flat, which otherwise fit the stock connections perfectly. The best news is, it's LOUD.

I'll try to get a pic or two tomorrow if the sun ever comes out. There's a good bit of room under there to mount just about any conventional type replacement horn.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Yeah, that horn does need help. Good thing you keep finding all this stuff you kept from before :)

Haven't got around to installing the horn I bought for mine. Fiamm 130db (supposed to be). I did notice in some testing I did the stock horn sounded louder when the engine was not running and ignition was just turned on. Maybe something to do with sharing the circuit/wire with other engine systems? More testing on that is needed... But I do plan to install both the stocker and the Fiamm horns in the same location. Figure both will fit if one is forward and the other is rearward. Also plan both horns be connected to dedicated larger gauge wire and dedicated fuse. So expect it to work better. We'll see. Wish I had a loud car horn to install there but working with what I think will fit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yea, this 'scooter' type of horn leaves much to be desired.
Could it be possible to install a Goldwing horn on our bike?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, this 'scooter' type of horn leaves much to be desired.
Could it be possible to install a Goldwing horn on our bike?
I can't find a picture of one anywhere; but if it's just a single horn, it should work. The FIAMM that Bob mentioned should also work -- it looks pretty similar to the Thunderbird horn. As long as you stay with a single non-air horn, you should be good to go without needing to add a relay.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd really like to install Twisted Throttles' Denali SoundBomb. It is one of the loudest and most obnoxious aftermarkets I've heard in a small package. Just what a biker needs.:520: However ,as small as it is for MC installs, our bodywork doesn't leave much open space. It would have to be somewhat exposed I suspect.:350x700px-LL-66dd6d:350x700px-LL-66dd6d Overall module is 5.4"W x 4.5" H x 3.6" D. I'll need to take bike there and do some brainstorming with one in hand to see if anything tasteful is possible , and maybe they will have suggestions?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I have a Stebel Nautilus I took out of my ST before it sold. It's rated at 139Db but that's measured a lot closer than the industry standard distance. I calculated what it would be at 1 meter and came up with 121Db, just over what the Denali will do. These horns are NOT to be sounded in a closed garage unless you want hearing damage! When I had all the plastic off last month I tried to find a place to put it but failed to find anyplace that was even partly under the covers. I would have to resort to mounting it maybe where the factory mounts are for driving lights... under the engine guards? But don't yet want to have out in the open that much.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Steel Nautilus and Denali SoundBomb -- I really have to wonder how these guys get off marketing them for motorcycles and calling them 'compact'!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd agree they are compact though not by any means small. Reason for reduced size is compressor, relay, and horn are one small tight package (w/o tubing runs which makes them quite efficient for sound vs size) vs split into 3 with tubing runs as well. And when split, the horns are large.
I'm OK with them claiming MC horns as they can be fit to most basic or open/naked bike w/o all the plastic body work/covering fairly easy. Considering the look in Black anyway, it can come off as an OEM part if placed preoperly (on an open/naked bike that is).
I have a few smaller sports cars with wimpy horns which I've added conventional air horns to. Big job fininding a tasteful and proper location for everything. I may get some of these for undon cars and maybe redo one or two of the others as I think SoundBomb horn is actaully more noticable.

Reactions: sleepngbear and bob

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I added the separate component air horns to my GW and felt the trumpets looked fine on a vertical aluminum bar off the left engine guard. Then installed the Nautilus behind the plastic on my Burgman. There was just enough space behind the "cheek" of the front fairing to slip it in, though I used heavy zip ties instead of a bolt. Did the same in the ST... just enough space to finagle it into place and held with heavy zip ties (3). I even added the separate trumpets behind the grill on my red Corolla, purple ones. Found a mounting on each side and then used the original horn mount for the compressor. Can just barely see them through the front grill. The CTX1300 is so full behind the plastic, like Honda really slimmed down and repositioned parts in this one to get it lower, so there is no space anywhere up front that I could find that the Nautilus or even the Denali would fit. There is one place that almost would work on the right side behind the middle cowl but I would have to take out a few more parts like the air cleaner and some other parts, and re-route a cable, to just get it in place. Decided on a different solution (I hope it works acceptably).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts