CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm enjoying my new ctx1300 but there is something worrying me a bit, after about half an hour, the ignition key is pretty hot to the touch. Is anyone having or heard of anyone having a problem with the ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Nope.

Ride faster.

Reactions: JBone and psullam

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Wondered what bike(s) you have had before. This one can be warmer than some but not as warm as others. Really haven't noticed any problem with it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't ride fast-too nervous! Well, sort of kidding.
Bob I don't remember them all, I started on a 125 Harley around 1950. I was on my own at 14 and working for 55cents an hour so it had no bells or whistles nor did the horn work! There were no inspections back then so it all worked out. I got a better job, $1.25 an hour and bought a sear alstate (pouch) I think was the proper name. Then came a hot and sweet little Harley khk, forerunner of the sportster. Then a long series of Harley 74 cubic inch machines, one 61 cubic inch, follow by a Zundapp ks601, then an old bmw back to a 74cu Harley. So rode Harleys till 1971 and switched to goldwings till 91 and went with a K75 BMW ad gave that away just last year when I picked up the ctx1300.
I chose the Honda over a shiny new Harley because the Harley seat was uncomfortable and the Honda was comfortable. I was also unhappy Harley had removed the steering dampener. You can get use to anything but it's like freedom, you sure miss it when it's gone!....Nite all

·
Registered
68 Posts
It doesn't take that long for my key to get so hot I can't touch it. After a 20-minute afternoon commute home, the key actually burns my fingers if I grab it without my gloves. The culprit? I live on the surface of the sun... er, in the VALLEY of the sun; Phoenix. Typical afternoon ride is like a convection oven in 113+ degree heat; add to that the extra ticks oozing from the tarmac and things get a bit toasty.

A problem is that the key is placed in a black cup that is fully exposed to the sun at the top of the gas tank. I suspect that the black key cup acts like a little oven that absorbs and amplifies the heat. Maybe I can try an experiment: line the key cup with aluminum foil to see if it reflects enough heat to roast marshmallows.

bd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, but it's a dry heat! Anyone ever tell you that one? My most powerful likes to go birding in AZ and I've heard the story of the mama rattlesnakes teaching the babies to crawl on the steam pipes to stay out of the sand!
The other keys on the key ring should heat up too but no, so having read a book on welding, think I best figure a way to the fuse block, it's got fuses no? I guess I could read the manual if I can hide from the wife. (Real men don't need instruction manuals! )

·
Registered
446 Posts
Open one of the pockets and put your hand it. If it's hot too, then it's engine + sun heat that's heating the key. If the pocket is markedly cooler than the key, then something fishy may be going on.

In my case, the metal part of the key is always cool -- only the black plastic "handle" gets warmer when riding in the city.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No, My key is cool.
I think there is something fishy going on.
OK it's a little bit cooler over here but i never burn my fingers on my keys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try that and let you know. The temps were averaging mid 90's, engine temps normal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am in Dallas and it is hot here. Key gets noticably hot but never hot enough to burn my un-gloved skin.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
If you think THIS bike is hot (other than in looks :D ) you should sit on a ST1300 for a time in hot weather. Same engine but it's encased in plastic much more than the CTX resulting in a lot more heat being retained and passed on to the rider through the bodywork. I also had a neighbor who mentioned his Road King got very hot in hot weather. Kind of the nature of the sport, I guess. When you sit on an engine you're bound to feel at least some of the heat. My ST1100 was hotter than the CTX. My Gold Wing and Burgman were also not hot, except sometimes a little around the ankles and feet. But those last two have their engines lower and more forward of the rider and the ankles is what was next to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finely got a chance to ride a bit yesterday. Temp was high 80's low 90's, 65mph for thirty min. then pilfering through strange neighborhood at 10-20mph for thirty min and back to 65 for thirty min. I checked the key and found the metal blade to be a little cooler than the plastic part of the key, I was expecting the opposite! The compartments, (thank you Dublin) didn't feel hot, the area in front of the key (cowling) was a little warm. I'm thinking engine heat got up around this area. Logic reckons that the same amps flow through the ignition switch regardless of speed, heat from the engine on the other hand will be greater at speed and during the hot summer. I believe we've solved this case of, "da hot key"! Thanks all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts