CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I do the math it looks like it would be about 200+ miles. Does anyone have any real life experience?

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
The last fillup for me was at 495 miles and I had 190 miles on that tank. Only put in 4.613 gal to bring it back to the filler neck, same place as the earlier fillup. MPG calculates out to 41.2 mpg average. That is up from the second fill I did at 37.5 mpg.
Lately I've done a bit of city street riding in that mix, plus just getting used to what speeds for what rpm and such. The CTX is so much lower geared than I've been used to I keep catching myself running it at higher rpm than I need... except the other day I needed to do a quick lane change at a stop and was going real slow and ended up killing it since I forgot to down shift :eek: but had enough momentum to fast pull in the clutch and down shift quick and hit the starter and continue without putting feet down. :cool:
I guess I found out how low she can go before stopping. :eek:

This same thing happened with my only other brandy new purchase, the Burgman 650. After 1500 miles on that scoot it settled down to an average around 52 mpg. The first few fillups on the B650 were around the same mpg readings I am getting with the CTX, maybe even a bit lower than the CTX. We'll see how it goes in the next 1000 miles. I expect to be close to what I was doing on the B650 at least. With my GW I was usually going about 160-170 miles between fillups and still always had a little left for reserve. I think 180-190 miles between fills until the mpg gets up a bit more. I can see going 200+ miles between fillups on the CTX eventually. Maybe someone with a few thousand miles on theirs can chime in here and give some insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
I had about 208 miles on my last tank, and it took 4.3 gallons. The fuel gauge had been blinking for a few miles; when I stopped to fill up it said I still had 37 miles left.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put 260 km on yesterday and I was not on reserve yet when it goes to reserve it usually starts at about 70 km. left to go so I am thinking my range is 325 to 350 km. but thats pushing it. Mileage will get better after break in. I have the tall windshield also which makes a difference. With my ST1300 and the electric windshield I could watch the fuel economy with the shield down and then raise it and see the economy go down. Windshields definitely reduce your fuel economy

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
Just thought I'd throw in an update here. Just filled up the tank for my trip to WI tomorrow. Ran 217 miles on the last tank so, yep, she'll go 200 miles on a tank. And I only put in 4.847 gal. Reserve display said another 23 miles I think. Want to confirm that the bike average mpg meter is working within 5/100s of a mpg. Meter said 44.7mpg and I manually calculated 44.76996mpg. That difference is easily the difference in where exactly I fill it to in the filler neck, so VERY insignificant. It's been that close at least every fill so far. I'll be trusting the meter display more confidently. Actually that last reading on the display includes the last 2 fills since I didn't reset it at the previous fill up. I did manually calculate it to be the same though. Both tanks are almost all my commute to work as well as errands around the local area. My commute is 1 mile at each end of city street, about 35-40 mph, and 10.5 miles varied highway speeds on the through town interstate with some slowing at the bottom of a slight hill and acceleration going up (always happens that way). Still better than my ST. Will be checking the mpg for this trip with almost all highway speeds, 55-65mph mostly.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to fuel economy. But I appear to be getting something in the high 40s. Maybe 48 or 49 mpg.

I don't push the bike hard like some of the other bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My mileage is all over the place, but since I have had the bike, the total average is 43.62 MPG. I have gotten as high as almost 51 MPG and as low as 38.5 MPG. Just depends on what I was doing that day and how frisky I was riding. see attached snip from my bike log.

Attachments

Reactions: gadgetman

·
Registered
128 Posts
My mileage is all over the place, but since I have had the bike, the total average is 43.62 MPG. I have gotten as high as almost 51 MPG and as low as 38.5 MPG. Just depends on what I was doing that day and how frisky I was riding. see attached snip from my bike log.
My mileage experience has been very close to this, too.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
On my camping trip I ran only 811 miles all total. I just filled the tank first time since returning and calculated the total mpg for the whole trip and came up with 47.8 mpg. I also logged mpg for each tank. The trip to the campground took the bike just past 1500 miles on the odometer and the mpg was still around 44-45 mpg but I could tell it was just starting to improve. After that it did. After about 1500 miles it seems I was consistently getting an average around 50+ give or take a little depending how I was riding and provided I didn't count starting up or stopping. Most of what affected the mpg was how much there were stops and starts in towns. If I could avoid any stops at all I was getting 54+ mpg for sure, even at 30 mph through some towns (in 5th gear). Hills and curves didn't seem to hurt any. In fact on one tank the more hills the better since I'd be able to run up the mph downhill and almost coast uphill with just enough throttle to maintain most of the speed since they were mostly between 1/4 to 1/2 mile hills at most. The average then was near 54 mpg until I came to a few towns with stops, then the average dropped to just about 50. Those stops always tended to kill the mpg for the average reading. Now that I'm back to the routine commute to work with a few stop/goes along the way and what seems to be somewhat improved mpg since turning over 2100 miles now. I'll be able to verify after the first full tank of just commuting but seems like I'm getting around 46-47 mpg now.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
I just had another tankful with more work commutes than leisurely cruising and got only 43 mpg. The commutes kill me because the trip its either stop-and-go or 80 mph, with not much in between (one morning was ALL stop-and-go because of a rollover on the highway). I'm really liking what this bike is capable of getting for mileage without sacrificing any of the fun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seem to be averaging 38mpg, which seems low compared to others. I have 1400 miles on mine and the tall windscreen. Should it improve as it gets more broken in?

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
I seem to be averaging 38mpg, which seems low compared to others. I have 1400 miles on mine and the tall windscreen. Should it improve as it gets more broken in?
Yes, it should 'loosen up' with more miles, say between 1000-1500. How many do you have on yours so far, and what kind of riding are you mostly doing? Stop-and-go city, 75+ mph highway, or more leisurely in-between cruising? The more you can stay comfortably in 5th gear (by comfortably, I mean between 2500-3K rpm, or about 45-60 mph), the better your mileage will be.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just logged into the tourtank website. They have finally updated their product line. I will be ordering their 4 gallon "keg" tank and associated mounting and plumbing gear for my CTX.. Hope to have it installed before my August departure date

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it should 'loosen up' with more miles, say between 1000-1500. How many do you have on yours so far, and what kind of riding are you mostly doing? Stop-and-go city, 75+ mph highway, or more leisurely in-between cruising? The more you can stay comfortably in 5th gear (by comfortably, I mean between 2500-3K rpm, or about 45-60 mph), the better your mileage will be.
I have 1400 miles on it and do a pretty even mix of city and highway riding. I have probably been riding at higher revs too. If I am at 2500-3k rpm I down shift.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
I normally try to keep it 2000-2500 until I get on the highway. Then it's whatever 5th gear will do for the speed I want... which is always below 4000 and usually (for my riding) below 3550 rpm (65 mph during the commute). MPG does increase the lower that rpm can get down to about 1800 rpm. This bike will still pull away from down there.

When I am accelerating, however, I do let it get up to 3500 rpm before an upshift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, then I upshift about 3000 to 4th and about 2800 to 5th. But only when I am running up the speed. If running a constant speed I keep the rpm lower.

On my ST I used to down shift when it got down about 3000 but with the CTX I find it runs better if I leave it and wait to downshift when it gets down about 1800-2000. I've mentioned before (at least on the ST forum) that this bike definitely runs normal at least 1000 rpm below what I ran on the ST1100.

Let it run at the lower rpm and see what you get. The higher revs will lower mpg, especially at city street speeds.

BTW- I've been going around 215 miles between fill ups the last few tanks, with between 20-25 miles left on the reserve. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice data/ spread sheet!
I like better than my table like ones.
Did you make it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice data/ spread sheet!
I like better than my table like ones.
Did you make it?
Yep. I made it originally a few years ago for my VTX. I kept infor on that one for three years and it was interesting to see what it cost me to ride it per mile. I adapted it for this bike and try to input all my accessory and maintenance purchases as well as the gas. If you study it, there are some pretty cool things it does.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts