CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought mine July 2014, just over a year now, and I've got 10,500 miles on her. I'm betting that more than most of you. I'll buy anyone a beer who's got more! :smiley-party0005:

Reactions: JBone

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
No need for beverages, just would get in the way of more riding :D
I have 13638 miles now. All on original stock Dunlop tires. (front getting a bit thin in the tread).
Bought my CTX at the end of April 2014.
I know @kniterider has more.

Over on the ST-Owners forum there is a tally for keeping track of how many miles for the year that is kept each year. I already have more miles this year than I had all of last year but not the most I've had... yet. This year is headed for accumulating the most miles in a year than I've tallied at over 11,000 miles. For all those I am still only just in the top 33% on the list out of more than 200 riders! There is one rider over there with 44,575 miles SO FAR THIS YEAR!!! The top 4 riders have over 30,000 miles so far. And this is not the most miles I've seen in a year on that list in the last 5 years. I've seen over 100,000 miles for at least 2 riders on that list in one year. Not bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Broke 5600 today, that's since I plated it on July 10th this year. I've rode every day since. Ordered tour pack today. Making this horse mine!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've not been able to ride much this year, but the total for the two bikes is about 25,000 miles. Most of that was last year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I still have only 15250 miles on my CTX but it has been parked since May. to keep miles down. 11650 miles of that was put on in 17 days during last sept. during my USA 4 corners ride & 50 CC ride and 3 Flags ride all in same period

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got mine in April 2014 and it's up to 18,067 miles. It could be more but it shares commute duty with a Tiger 800 to spread the miles around and a couple times I've parked the bike to save the miles for an upcoming tour and delay the next service until after I return. I've got a 2400 mile tour coming up and I haven't decided yet whether to get the 20,000 mile service en route when the mileage is close to 20,000 or after I return when it'll be over 20,000 by 400-500 miles.

Edit: That's only 231 miles per post. I need to ride more.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just rolled over 8000 the other day, and took it in for the 8000 mile service yesterday. That's been in just over 1 year of ownership.

My riding has actually calmed down quite a bit due to summer heat and the fact that I've preferred to commute to my current project location by train, as it's not conveniently located near any motorcycle-friendly parking in downtown Pittsburgh that I trust. So the summer miles have mostly been weekend day rides.

Jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm impressed! I ride mine all the time, everywhere I go, and figured I probably had the most of all you guys, but I was wrong. For those of you with more than me, I salute you! Y'all some bike riding mo fo's! :smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased mine in May 2014. From Connecticut, I went with three others on a trip around the Great Lakes -- 3200 miles in 8 days. In June of 2015, I had just over 8000 miles on it when I traded it in for a BMW K1600 GTLE. All in all, I was very disappointed with the bike, yes it rode nicely, but I had issues with the following:

1) I had to hold the plastic parts of the fairing together with Gorilla tape. When I first picked up the bike, one of the cheap plastic tabs broke, and the cheap plastic parts on the fairing would separate. This part was replaced, but the only way to keep the pieces from not pulling apart was to use the Gorilla tape.
2) The entire bike is just too "plasticy".
3) It really needs a 6th gear.
4) No cruise control option.
5) No heated grip option was available.
6) Cheap plastic saddlebags with cheap locks. I had the bike one week, and pulled into my garage, and put the bike on the side stand, and a washer slid out from where the left saddlebag lock was suppose to be. Somehow the lock disappeared during a ride. You need the locks in place and locked to keep the saddlebags closed. I also did not like the saddlebag latches -- cheap cheap cheap.
7) Very inconvenient key location for the gas cap unlock.
8) Useless original windshield, and equally useless Honda extended windshield. I'm an average sized person, and the tall Honda windshield put the airstream about eye level. Luckly Home - Madstad Engineering had an excellent solution.
9) Only a 5 gallon tank -- on long trips had to start looking for gas every 150 miles.
10) Digital gas gauge resolution of 1/6th of a tank.
11) Should of had a NAV option.
12) No place to externally lock helmets.
13) No accommodations for cruise pegs (luckily someone on this forum offered a solution).
14) A center stand is an option. After purchasing the center stand it left marks in the driveway, because there is very little surface area on the flat spot of the stand -- maybe 3/8" X 1.5" (what were the engineers at Honda thinking???)
15) Useless storage compartments in the fairing with cheap latches.
16) A trunk that can vacuum seal itself when leaving from a warm garage and driving into cooler temperatures.

I probably would have kept the bike if it weren't for the cheap design of the fairing. If I were able to actually "look under the hood" prior to purchasing this bike, I would never have purchased it.

Anyway, I love my BMW -- even though it was way more expensive, I have no regrets about trading in my CTX1300.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Fortunately you did find a bike you can be happy with. Also fortunately, most of the issues you mention, if not all, are non-issues for many riders here.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Most of the "issues" you mention are facts you should know or check before you purchase a motorcycle.
Other issues are minor problems that you find on any new production vehicle.
And FYI the heated grips are available as option.

The BMW K1600GT is in a different category compared with CTX1300 and I'm glad you fund what you need.
Often it's not that there is something wrong with the bike but we don't know what we need.

Reactions: bruceb and bob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
1,2,6,15...If you say it 4 more times worded differently each time, your list would be an even 20.
3....Why? I don't need a 6th gear. No need to lug this baby.
4....Throttle locks are enough for most. But yes, that would be nice.
5....Ok, I ride down to Zero Degrees F and never needed heated grips, but then again, I don't live in the frozen tundra like some of you guys.
7....It does bother me to bend down and unlock the gas cap when I'm bundled up in the winter(Jan/Feb). Hmmm, again a difference between N/S.
8....fits me...but I'm 5'10.5" w 30" inseam. But one size never fits all.
9....180-200 miles for me. But I would like a bigger tank also. Again, we are in the minority. I even put an aux 40 gal on my little toyota pick up.
10....maybe you need one of those heads up displays if you obsess with the fuel gauge.
11...Save a ton of $$$($5-7 hundred depending on the model) adding my own and got one that I like. Can change it when I get ready. Can move it to another bike/car without additional cost.
12...guess you don't like the cable.
13...????? Ok, guess I'm ignorant there...didn't know BMW offered highway pegs.
14....How many cruisers come with even an option for the center stand? BMW riders even complain about the sidestand. They want a bike that hovers when parked.
15....Yeah, I've read the forum for the k1600forum and they complain about the same thing plus no map pocket.
16...Givi cases are air tight until the rubber seal starts to deteriorate(10 years for me). But I love 'em. They are the most popular cases in the world. OH...you meant that as a negative...oooops.

·
Registered
158 Posts
470 miles so far and going in for the 1st service Thursday . So far I like this bike, Very impressed. :)

Reactions: bob
1 - 20 of 39 Posts