CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The three guys I mostly ride with all have conceal/carry permits and take a handgun with them when they ride. I have never owned one, only shotguns for bird hunting. So, I'm wondering if I should get something for the times I ride alone. Here are my questions:

Do you, or do you not, carry a handgun when you ride?
Have you ever been in a seriously threatening situation where you actually had to take it out?

Please, please simply answer the questions as posed. I am not wishing to start a discussion on handgun laws or the second amendment. That can be covered in a separate thread if anyone feels so inclined. I am only interested in finding out how many feel it necessary to carry a handgun when they ride. Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Always carry,
Bike my jeep walking out to the mail box lol It's never had to clear the holster hope I never have to.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have them, but I do not carry, Never felt threatened.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Never, and have never felt the need.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Don't even have one... yet. I suppose I would consider carrying if/when I start riding in more remote areas of the country. I almost always ride alone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No and glad I don't feel as though I need too......wouldn't be able to here anyway...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I always ride alone. Not a groupie.

Been across the Southwest, Pine Ridge, Rocky Boy, N. Cheyenne, Chicago, Seattle, both Portlands and places I can't remember (like yesterday:350x700px-LL-66dd6d)

Haven't carried since my days as a LEO.

Don't feel the need.

Always remember one salient fact: the bad guy always knows first when the shooting is going to start.;)

You feel lucky?:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Never, and have never felt the need either.

Most of the time, I'm riding too fast to aim properly anyway. Gives new meaning to the term "defensive driving."

·
Registered
406 Posts
But then I also know first hand how useless that gun in a holster is if you let the bad guy get the jump on you ,, YOU CAN NOT visualize the threat, decide to react, draw fast enough to clear holster and put at least one on target before the bad guy has had a chance to shoot twice. My last shooting incident ,,I walked into a armed robbery in progress.. Bad guy opened the door and put his Beretta up into my face and yelled get the **** in here. I proved the movie wrong, I immediately jumped 90 degrees as he fired and I lost my ear drum in left ear for a long time but I survived initial contact and was then able to effectively return fire and stop the robbery , recover the 156,000.00 and kept him from executing his tied up managers

SO all these new laws allowing carry without severe training scare the crap out of me

And as an after thought I have now taken KRAV MAGA handgun retention and take away courses, AWESOME. I now insist all my rookies take this class and repeat it annually I had each of them try and shoot me with a training ( chalk firing GUN) gun at anywhere between point blank to 5 feet away and not one was able to get an effective shot off before i had disarmed them

·
Registered
406 Posts
I always ride alone. Not a groupie.

Been across the Southwest, Pine Ridge, Rocky Boy, N. Cheyenne, Chicago, Seattle, both Portlands and places I can't remember (like yesterday:350x700px-LL-66dd6d)

Haven't carried since my days as a LEO.

Don't feel the need.

Always remember one salient fact: the bad guy always knows first when the shooting is going to start.;)

You feel lucky?:smile:
Agree on the bad guys frame of mind.. I never feel lucky,, well trained yes! been a LEO since April 1977

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I've survived 57 years and five months on this planet without carrying -- can't think of a reason to start now. Best defense is to simply avoid places where things would be more likely to turn bad. I.e., the typical biker bar. God I hate that crowd. I'm also fortunate enough to have lived most of my life in the 'burbs and away from where you're more likely to find that element. Granted you're never 100% sure to always avoid a situation where a side arm might be a benefit. But so far, I find Bruce Lee's 'art of fighting without fighting' to be the best philosophy in that regard.

Now I'm not anti-gun by any stretch; in fact I used to own a hand gun, but stupidly left it behind when I left my first wife 20 years ago. Never had an opportunity or burning desire or just had too many other higher priorities to get another one since then.

As for the possibility of carrying, I have no problem if you're well trained to use it. Most people are not, including me, which in my mind makes for a far more dangerous situation. There's also my wife's ex, who I may very well have used it on several times by now if I had one, which while it would have been good for everyone and anyone who knows the piece of crap, would likely not have ended well for me. But that's another story entirely. So if you feel the need yourself, if it gives you peace of mind, by all means have at it. Hopefully you'll never need to actually use it.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I grew up in a household of hunters, and I have experience with several different handguns. That said, I don't have anywhere near enough training to make me feel comfortable carrying. Like others here, I'm not anti-gun. I'm just anti-carry for ME. Personally, I can't imagine feeling relaxed on a ride that requires me to carry a weapon to feel safe. But that's just me, and everyone has to travel their own road.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepngbea
I've survived 57 years and five months on this planet without carrying

Now that's incredible! I wouldn't have put you at more than 57 years and four months:D
I dunno. His typing looks kinda shaky.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The three guys I mostly ride with all have conceal/carry permits and take a handgun with them when they ride. I have never owned one, only shotguns for bird hunting. So, I'm wondering if I should get something for the times I ride alone. Here are my questions:

Do you, or do you not, carry a handgun when you ride?
Have you ever been in a seriously threatening situation where you actually had to take it out?

Please, please simply answer the questions as posed. I am not wishing to start a discussion on handgun laws or the second amendment. That can be covered in a separate thread if anyone feels so inclined. I am only interested in finding out how many feel it necessary to carry a handgun when they ride. Thank you.
No !!!
I speak with great experience, as a car chased, and tried to kill me, and then chased me down a sidewalk after dumping the bike. I survived and the angry driver was charged with assualt/deadly weapon. ( see California vs Alameddine , Pasadena 2011)

You will probably not win in a fight with a car, and engaging a hostile driver will probably get you significant jail time justified or not.

MSF highly recommends, and I agree, that your best defense is to get away and downplay the drama.
If you pull a weapon;
- your control of your bike goes way way down
- ability to avoid all threats (including obstacles, traffic, etc) is deteriorated
- your escalating a confrontation and now party to the road rage
- your justifying other vehicles to attack and hit you
- your probably going to be at least partially blamed and responsible for escalating a road rage event

its bad bad bad for you all around....

I very highly recommend looking at the history of events where a biker armed him/herself. I have... the outcome is grim

BTW Im far from anti-gun... all for it... but the bike is just too vulnerable and an innocent biker has to rise above typical responsibilities and control his situation on a higher level.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Agree with all those who advise against carrying as I stated earlier. I never ever thought about ever considering pulling a gun WHILE RIDING! That sounds WAY too old west TV cowboy to me. I do know a few riders who do carry but never would they consider pulling it while riding down the road. The only time they have stated the possible need is WHILE CAMPING in a remote area with the bike parked. Not while on the bike. This discussion so far kind of makes me imagine the rifleman show... only on a motorcycle. With a rifle holster mounted on the side of the bike so it would be easy to grab the gun while underway. :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agree with all those who advise against carrying as I stated earlier. I never ever thought about ever considering pulling a gun WHILE RIDING! That sounds WAY too old west TV cowboy to me. I do know a few riders who do carry but never would they consider pulling it while riding down the road. The only time they have stated the possible need is WHILE CAMPING in a remote area with the bike parked. Not while on the bike. This discussion so far kind of makes me imagine the rifleman show... only on a motorcycle. With a rifle holster mounted on the side of the bike so it would be easy to grab the gun while underway. :eek:
Well... the terminator stopped an 18 wheeler from hitting him but he was on a Harley... and using a shotgun... So if part of your commute is down the LA river 100 feet ahead of a killer robot... hmm.. maybe.... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts