CTX 1300 Forum banner

How often do you buy a motorcycle on average?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a poll on how often you buy a motorcycle on average. This is NOT about how long you own any particular bike but just how long between purchases.
Please select your choice in the poll grid at the top of the page.

I was thinking through this for myself and realized that I don't wait as long as I thought from buying one to buying the next. I am not counting the time I was not riding at all from when I bought my first bike and then my second one. During that time I was not riding at all (but would have been if I had kept that first bike). I am counting only the time I have continuously been riding. My average time between bike purchases works out to be around 3.8 years. I really did think it was longer.

Usually I end up buying a bike because I realized I want a different kind of ride that my current bike doesn't give. Or sometimes it is because I discover another bike that I find to be more desirable for how I ride. Or sometimes it's due to wanting something easier to ride and easier to handle when not riding yet still meets all my requirements for when I do ride.
This last is the reason I bought my current Burgman 650 and not a 400 or 300 cc machine. I still need something that will confidently go distance in comfort yet sits in that sweet spot of being easy to handle in congested areas in town.

Some of you know I've been interested in the Kymco AK 550 for a little while. This one brings the very same qualifications as my Burgman does but adds to that the updated features that are found on many newer bikes being made now. Technology on a bike sometimes is an aid to riding and sometimes just a gimmick to make sales. I don't particularly go for gimmicks. There has to be a practical reason for any tech to be on a bike to make me interested. For my CTX it was the ABS/TC and the rest was just fluff (gimmick) to me. For my Burgman the ABS was still there but the tech that attracts me to it is the CVT making riding even more effortless with no shifting, and I was ready to have that ease. What attracts me to the Kymco AK is that maintenance on the CVT, as well as other parts in the bike, is much easier than on my Burgman (but really not so much easier than on the CTX but the same). There are tech improvements that I like and can see benefit for as well. Keyless start is one. I have that on my Rav4 and like it. I know that some just have to have a physical key to insert into the ignition but I don't need that. I'm always fumbling around with a key to start the bike or open the top case or gas cap, etc. Having that automated does add complexity but I've worked with technical complexity all my working career so I'm used to it and it is convenient. There is also technology that doesn't really have to do with computer or electronic stuff but rather simply the designing of the machine and that is another reason I'm interested in buying new again. Improved design technology.

I'm only including choices of 1-2 years, 3-4 years, 5-6 years, and 7+ years.
After 7 years it begins to lose significance since if that is the average then there are likely some times when 10 or more years goes by before another purchase and/or sometimes less than 7, and there is no real pattern.

Feel free to post your thoughts about your reasons for buying often or not so often, etc.

ps- If you find you want to change your vote I did leave the poll open to allow that. But you can still only choose one.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I added one option for those who don't yet have any history of buying more than their first motorcycle. None of the other options would apply in that case.

·
Registered
765 Posts
From the records I have going back to 2007, I'm averaging 395.6 days between purchases. The shortest gap is 70 days and the longest gap is 870 days. My garage has contained between one and three bikes during this time. I'm slowing down as I get closer to retirement.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Next up for me may be a 2022 Moto Guzzi V100 or whatever they call the new water-cooled sport tourer. Or it might be a 2022 Honda NT1100. I'd prefer the shaft drive of the Guzzi, but those dealers are not local. The new Honda will use the same motor that's in the Africa Twin and the Rebel 1100.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I kind of like the new tech items that come out. Year to year isn't typically that much difference but after 3-4 years the difference might be much more noticeable. ABS is a must have for me along with shaft drive and water cooled. I found that on the CTX and my current ride as well. Not sure what will be next for me, either another Goldwing or a BMW possibly although I value low maintenance and low cost of ownership after the sale - reliability is probably most important to me both in my cars and bikes. Kinda like Hondas for that reason alone!

Reactions: bob and bruceb
1 - 5 of 5 Posts