CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Been a little while but I figured I would put this on here in case I did anything wrong or there is an even easier way!! Should only take about 10 mins or so to do this if set up right!

· Registered
128 Posts
Just yesterday I was messing with my windshield for the third time and was thinking there really should be a video of the process to show how simple it really is. Thanks for posting.

· Registered
282 Posts
Good job. Early on when I changed out my windshield for the first time, everyone talked about "popping off" the mirror covers. I tried "popping" them of in every direction but the correct one. Now notone will make that mistake.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Nice video.
One question though. Why so many steps to remove the snap clips? I wouldn't remove the rubber ring or the metal ring but just unscrew the clip and remove it. No need to disassemble the snaps. Oh, just by way of making them easier to find if you need to ask for them, the actual name for those strips in the middle is Dual-Lock by 3M, not Velcro. They are available at a few places. I got mine at Radio Shack where they call them a different name but they still say 3M Dual-Lock on the peel off backing (I think it's SuperLock).

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the vid. I changed mine based on the info you posted earlier. Great help. I do question why you bent the clip in "like it was from the factory". I think the factory accidently bent that in in assembly. I'm pretty sure all 4 of those tabs need to be bent back out so the stud on the cover will snap in properly. Am I wrong? Thanks again!

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Thanks for the vid. I changed mine based on the info you posted earlier. Great help. I do question why you bent the clip in "like it was from the factory". I think the factory accidently bent that in in assembly. I'm pretty sure all 4 of those tabs need to be bent back out so the stud on the cover will snap in properly. Am I wrong? Thanks again!
Yup, all four tabs need to be pretty much straight out (not folded in) to hold the pins on the mirrors covers snugly. I'm surprised at how many of these seem to be getting mangled at the factory. Of the two clips on the right side of my bike, one had one tab folded in and the other had two (left side was ok). How the mirror cover stayed on at all remains a mystery to me.

(PS: Dup post deleted!)

· Registered
412 Posts
Of the four clips that must be unscrewed to get the front garnish off, which of the four should have the wire spring wrapped around them? Only 2 of my 4 have the wire, the other two are just the metal tabs wrapped in a rubber sheath.

I realized the last time I took them off, I mixed all 4 up and now don't know where the wire-bolstered ones go. Closer to the mirror or closer to the front of the bike on each side?

Thanks,
Jeff

· Registered
412 Posts
Good job. Early on when I changed out my windshield for the first time, everyone talked about "popping off" the mirror covers. I tried "popping" them of in every direction but the correct one. Now notone will make that mistake.
The mirror cover on the right side of my CTX pops right off, but the one on the left is a giant pain in the ass to get off. It was the first one I tried to remove the first time, and I was sure I was going to destroy it before it came off.

They've both gotten easier but that one still gives me grief.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
The mirror cover on the right side of my CTX pops right off, but the one on the left is a giant pain in the ass to get off. It was the first one I tried to remove the first time, and I was sure I was going to destroy it before it came off.

They've both gotten easier but that one still gives me grief.
If any of the clips are overly tight, it's usually because the tabs on the clip are bent too close together. You can try spreading out the tabs a bit, just the slightest fraction of an inch, and just one tab at a time. I think I just used a screwdriver on one of mine to pry it open. If they're too far apart, they won't hold the cover in place; too close together, it's too hard to remove or replace, and it's also very easy to accidentally fold one or more of them completely flat when re-installing the cover.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Of the four clips that must be unscrewed to get the front garnish off, which of the four should have the wire spring wrapped around them? Only 2 of my 4 have the wire, the other two are just the metal tabs wrapped in a rubber sheath.

I realized the last time I took them off, I mixed all 4 up and now don't know where the wire-bolstered ones go. Closer to the mirror or closer to the front of the bike on each side?

Thanks,
Jeff
I just checked the fiche/diagrams and parts list on the online OEM parts store I use and it shows there are 6 total of the snap clips to hold the mirror covers on, 3 for each mirror cover, but only 2 total of the wire spring/rings. The diagram shows the ring only on the forward snap clips for each mirror cover. The diagram also does not show the bottom snap clip but it is there and accounted for in the item quantity count. I didn't realized this and don't recall where I put mine back on. I thought I remembered all my snap clips had a spring/ring on them so didn't pay any attention to it. I'll have to check that again. The front of my left mirror cover comes out easily but not on the right one.

· Registered
7 Posts
Thing is, I have found four New CTX1300's with a tab bent on the a snap clip. It is always the forward facing tab. This is from the Factory assembly. If you do not straighten the tab the mirror post will not go deep enough to hold well.
Jeffrey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.