CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put the Lunasee glowing tape on the wheels and will need to rotate them all the way around to do that. Short of rolling the bike back and forth in the garage, is there a good way to do that? I have been looking at stands but don't have any experience with them. I've also been considering the centerstand option, but would that only lift the rear wheel off the ground? It's been so long since I had my Wing with a centerstand that I can't remember how it worked.

I would prefer not to spend a lot of money on this, but obviously I want something sturdy enough that the bike is stable. I may only use it for the purpose of applying the tape; otherwise propping the side stand on a wood block brings it upright enough to clean it, etc.

Any of you guys have experience with this stuff? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
No experience with a center stand on the CTX1300, but I do remember from my previous bikes that the stand puts the back wheel up in the air, and it is possible (at least it was on my Magna and Virago) to prop up the back on a milk crate or something similar to get the front free-wheeling.
The reason I wanted to chime in is this: a center stand seems like a very expensive way to get to the wheels to put the tape on. If you don't have another reason, I would recommend taking off the saddlebags and seeing if that gives you enough clearance. Combined with rolling it a few inches, it just might do the trick and save you a few hundred bucks.
Having said that... I am hoping that Santa brings me a stand for Christmas. :)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Hey ShadowRider... I've got one of those rollamatic stand things that's sole purpose is to push the bike up on then the wheels roll on it which is perfect for cleaning the wheels or to put chainlube on with. You would have to do one wheel at a time which wouldn't be a big deal. It has two rollers on it with ball bearings and it makes it a cinch to get your wheels rotated around so you don't have to push the bike three or four times to get the whole wheel cleaned. I take and put it in front of my front or rear tire whichever wheel I wnat to clean first then push the bike up on it and put me a small piece of 2x4 under the kickstand so the bike will setup more up right so the wheel wont roll off of the stand, then start cleaning! :smiley-happy0034: I paid about $60 bucks for mine about 4yrs ago from local motorcycle shop. Hope this helps you out. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I would still consider a wheel chock for the front and then use a scissors jack with a wood block on the frame cross bar (where the center stand would install) to lift the back wheel. Not sure if turning that around would work for lifting the front. I've read many places that on a frame mounted engine like ours that is not a structural part of the frame that is it not good to lift under the engine itself due to possible damage. The only place where the frame provides a lift point below the engine is that location where the center stand attaches, on the cross bar behind the engine and between the pipes in the center. Otherwise the engine hangs below the frame at all points forward of that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Motorcycle Lift

I purchased a motorcycle center lift at Harbor Freight about 2 years ago. It was on sale for I believe $59. I have used it many times to lift my old bikes. Works great. Even lifted my old Kawasaki Vulcan at over900 pounds with no problems. Great for cleaning the wheels. Still waiting for my CTX1300 to arrive at dealer. Hope it will work with it also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts