CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been perusing your forum for the last several weeks, and felt that it was time to finally join in the fun. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the CTX and forum members on this site are informative and helpful. I have really enjoyed reading the posts. I purchased my CTX1300 (base model) over a month ago, and it has been all that I thought it would be. It had been many, many (many, many) years since I had ridden, and due to career, family, etc., I was pretty successful at fighting off all the urges to ride again. About a month ago, my wife and I were having our Honda Odyssey serviced at the dealership (I know, right?), and while we were waiting, my wife convinced me to take a stroll over to the Honda Motorcycle dealership next door. We walked in, and she was immediately drawn to the candy red CTX1300 on the showroom floor. The manager made a deal that we couldn't refuse, and as they say, the rest is history. At that time, I didn't even have my Texas motorcycle drivers license (got it the next week), so I had to trailer it the 100 miles to my house. I wasn't necessarily looking for the CTX, but I was pretty convinced I was going with a Honda. That said, my 6' frame felt really comfortable on the bike, and I agree with others on the forum that the bike feels really nimble in spite of its weight.

It has been a really interesting experience owning the bike. I ride it daily to and from work, and on at least a three occasions, people have followed me into parking lots or 'chased' me down in order to find out what-in-the-heck this bike is. It seems to get a lot of attention; perhaps because it looks great and you don't see too many around. Tomorrow, I will be riding it back over to the dealership for its 600 mile check-up, and I can't wait to get it on those not-so-cool Texas roads.

Y'all stay safe, and thanks for letting me join the forum!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Welcome partner @Greystoke,
Yep, I made a comment yesterday in my pic thread about that hot Texas weather and melting the roads.
And that was pretty slick, even for a Texan....taking the wife with ya and letting her think it was all her doin's to get the bike.
I've had a few folks wondering about my Honda bikes as well. Seems most folks don't know them and are taken aback by their sleek beauty once they see 'em.
I rode my VT1300 Interstate from B'ham over to Ms last year and had a HD rider (in his car of course) follow me for 120 miles to a rest stop just to see what it was.
Anyhoo, congrats on the purchase, happiness of your deal, and a smart wife.
Now, where are the pics and some Tx scenery with that red bike?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad you like your CTX.. I use mine to commute too. It's the ultimate commuter. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
welcome Greystoke,

I also live in the Lone Star State about 30 miles East of Dallas. My wife loves her CTX and we try to ride every weekend the temperature is 35-95. Has your wife taken the bike for a spin since she coaxed you into the bike. ☺

Reactions: bigdaddy2036

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @Greystoke.
Yep, really smart to get your wife to think it was all her idea. Always works out better that way when buying toys.
Mine is my primary transportation. My bikes have been that for at least the last 10 years now. Our roads may not be melting here but in certain times of the year they do turn into skating rinks.
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/members/greystoke.html

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new Candy Red Beauty! Great story and Good choice of color too btw! :smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome Greystoke. I'm located in Southeast Texas around Orange.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words! My wife loves the bike, but we haven't had too many opportunities to go out for a ride, and she's not one to take it out for a spin on her own.

As for skating rinks, I think I will take the heat over slippery roads anytime. I'm in the College Station area, and we get three bad months (for weather) a year (July, August and September). Our idea of winter is a brisk 50-60F, or when LSU comes to town...

And the color... Oh yeah, the more I see that red, the better I like it. Really looks great with the black trim.

I took it over to Houston today for the 600 mile check up/fluids change. Everything checked out great. So does this mean the official break-in period is over? Are there any concerns about rpms, etc. from this point forward? And when would you guys recommend the next check-up? I've heard that its around 6k miles. Does that seem right?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Next checkup is 8000 miles. Enjoy the revs now. Take up as high as you want. But I like the power displayed down low so spend a lot of time well below 3000 rpm, close to 2000 rpm in town all the time except during acceleration up to speed.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Don't worry about the revs. The Red ones are faster.

Reactions: shane

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Welcome, Greystoke!
I swore I would never own another red motorcycle, but I really really love the red on this one. Looks like I'm not the only one here who had some input from their spouse before taking home the CTX. Enjoy it; this really is a fantastic bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts