CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where did they hide it? I have looked all over, in the saddled bags, under the seat, behind the trim panels and nope I sure can't find it. So where did they hide 6th gear?

Is it just me of does it just feel like 6th gear is missing? Don't get me wrong, the bike is amazing and I love how it runs. I just have this weird feeling after I hit 5th gear around 35-40ish and then your going 65 and up and there are no more gears. It does what it is suppose to do, it goes, it goes fast and has power to do it. it just feels odd to me and I was wounding if this is a common feeling among CXT 1300 owners.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think any bike that doesn't have a 6th gear feels like it needs a 6th. It reduces engine wear and improves gas mileage. But we ride what we have!

Richmonder

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
That's exactly what ST1300 owners have had since 2002. This is the very same transmission simply taken off the shelf and dropped into the CTX1300. Same gear ratios and all. The big difference between the ST and CTX is the slight modifications to flatten the torque "curve" and bring all that power about 1500-2000 rpm lower than on the ST. This setup was designed for a sport touring bike more than a cruiser/touring bike like the CTX. Yet the CTX can therefor also act very much like a sport touring bike. Honda did not want to redesign the tranny or engine for this bike so this is what it is.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey - it’ll still get over 40mpg at 75mph running just over 4,000rpm. AND DO IT ALL DAY LONG !!! Don’t need no stinkin’ 6th gear!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I often look for the 6th gear seeing the RPMs in the 4K range at 75mph, but as @fbnewell1 says -- it gets 40MPG so.. I just shrug and keep smiling! The good thing about no 6th gear is that when cruising at 75MPH and you need to pass or get away from a vehicle a quick twist of the throttle and the bike still has plenty to give to scoot along.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
Additional note about all this... This engine was originally designed to run best at 3500-4500 rpm in the ST. After being retuned to pull the torque peak lower and flatten that curve it now will run best at 2500-4500 rpm. Note that higher end is still there. Peak torque isn't reached until 4500 rpm and max HP doesn't happen until 6000 rpm so you have PLENTY of power for any speed you want to go, unless you're one of those riders who loves to keep it over the century mark but it will still get there as well. The ST really didn't have enough torque around 2000 rpm resulting in lugging the engine. Not so the CTX which really doesn't start lugging until getting close to 1600 rpm. That is, as long as you don't just majorly crank the throttle like crazy at under 2000 rpm.

I tracked my speed per rpm in 5th gear and put that into a chart just for fun knowledge. Most from 35 mph to 85 mph was direct observation and every few entries in between and higher were extrapolated from that. I did often run at 35 mph and sometimes even one or two mph lower with no problem in 5th gear. I also was able to accelerate out of small towns from that back to highway speeds in a very short distance or time all without shifting gears. It was almost like having an automatic. The only time I downshifted during a trip was if the road was 25 mph or there was a stop sign/light or if there were some other traffic/pedestrian obstacle forcing me to do so... oh, and when I had to get gas or lunch.

https://flic.kr/p/ti19UX

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I had a sixth gear on my BMW. I found myself trying to upshift to seventh. Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Please don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, I LOVE MY CTX 1300. It just feels like a sixth gear should be there. And I think MoPops is right, If I had 6th I would want 7th and so on. Part of my odd feeling is I am still getting use to the bike and have not had it on the highways much yet.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Additional note about all this... This engine was originally designed to run best at 3500-4500 rpm in the ST. After being retuned to pull the torque peak lower and flatten that curve it now will run best at 2500-4500 rpm. Note that higher end is still there. Peak torque isn't reached until 4500 rpm and max HP doesn't happen until 6000 rpm so you have PLENTY of power for any speed you want to go, unless you're one of those riders who loves to keep it over the century mark but it will still get there as well. The ST really didn't have enough torque around 2000 rpm resulting in lugging the engine. Not so the CTX which really doesn't start lugging until getting close to 1600 rpm. That is, as long as you don't just majorly crank the throttle like crazy at under 2000 rpm.

I tracked my speed per rpm in 5th gear and put that into a chart just for fun knowledge. Most from 35 mph to 85 mph was direct observation and every few entries in between and higher were extrapolated from that. I did often run at 35 mph and sometimes even one or two mph lower with no problem in 5th gear. I also was able to accelerate out of small towns from that back to highway speeds in a very short distance or time all without shifting gears. It was almost like having an automatic. The only time I downshifted during a trip was if the road was 25 mph or there was a stop sign/light or if there were some other traffic/pedestrian obstacle forcing me to do so... oh, and when I had to get gas or lunch.

https://flic.kr/p/ti19UX
You rode 100mph?

Bob! Someone broke into your account!! Bob!!!

Oh wait..."extrapolated"...whew!

😁

Reactions: Stlburd2 and bob

·
Registered
679 Posts
Back in the 80s, I owned a V65 Sabre. 121 hp, hydraulic clutch, 6 speed motorcycle. Now that was a bike that hauled a$$.
Depending on the year of your V65 Sabre, most likely you did NOT get 121 HP

"However, Honda reported the same horsepower figures throughout the whole generation even though the actual dyno-proven, detuned, figures showed up lower than advertised "

Still looks like a fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Depending on the year of your V65 Sabre, most likely you did NOT get 121 HP

"However, Honda reported the same horsepower figures throughout the whole generation even though the actual dyno-proven, detuned, figures showed up lower than advertised "
FYI I had the 84 V65 Sabre. HP maybe inflated, but it still hauled a$$.

In 1984, Cycle magazine reported that they achieved a 0–60 mph time of 3.04 seconds and an 11.2 second, 121.69 miles per hour (195.84 km/h) quarter-mile run with a Sabre V65

·
Registered
296 Posts
6th gear and the crappy plastic are the ONLY things I can find wrong with this bike...

Other than that it is as close to perfect as it gets.

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
You rode 100mph?

Bob! Someone broke into your account!! Bob!!!

Oh wait..."extrapolated"...whew!

😁
Actually I did get up to around 90 mph a few times while passing others. The bike felt fine there and I would not have known I was going that fast if I didn't look at the speedo. Felt solid and confident up there. And it didn't take but a very short moment to get there from 50-55 mph (how fast the other guy was going when a passing opportunity came along).

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Since we're OT

I remember 20+ years ago, I took a Honda VTX demo out for a spin. On I5 in the busy Tacoma WA area. I'm a moderately cautious rider...like Bob...sorta. Cranked it to merge onto the highway. Looked down at the speedo. 85mph! Shinola! Time to take this back before I see the Blue Light Special.

Good times.

Now, what were we talking about?

Reactions: fbnewell1

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where did they hide it? I have looked all over, in the saddled bags, under the seat, behind the trim panels and nope I sure can't find it. So where did they hide 6th gear?

Is it just me of does it just feel like 6th gear is missing? Don't get me wrong, the bike is amazing and I love how it runs. I just have this weird feeling after I hit 5th gear around 35-40ish and then your going 65 and up and there are no more gears. It does what it is suppose to do, it goes, it goes fast and has power to do it. it just feels odd to me and I was wounding if this is a common feeling among CXT 1300 owners.

Thanks,
James
Yah.. Seems like it's begging for a 6th gear, but it is a smaller bore than the cylinders, so it should run higher, which means it doesn't necessarily need a 6th gear, but i agree, sometimes it sure feels like there should be one..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Several times at 65 mph, I have tried to upshift but I was already in top gear. I now look at the tach to see what gear I'm in.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Several times at 65 mph, I have tried to upshift but I was already in top gear. I now look at the tach to see what gear I'm in.
Remember you can add an aftermarket gear indicator

from the knowledge sharing document:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts