CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had been wondering if I would ne able to pick up my new Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe if needed. I really kind of hopped I would never need to know but then yesterday happened.

I went out for a really nice early ride here in AZ it was chilly for us (55F) and I had such a good ride. I went and found a place to do some low speed maneuvering to get use to my new bike and I did an 18" U-Turn and was feeling pretty good about things. I have a class to improve my skills later this week and wanted to be ready. I leisurely made my way back home after a thoroughly enjoyable outing and pulled in to my very over full garage. Now we have what they call a 2 car garage that you could not fit 2 compact cars in. Yesterday as I pulled in my girlfriends SUV was in there along with my 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager that I'm selling. So to get my CTX 1300 in I pull up really close to the Kawasaki facing out and I stopped, put it in neutral, dropped the kickstand shut it off and then I was on the ground, my bike on my leg, my shoulder hit my girlfriends car door as I went down. Now I never claimed to be a smart man and I sure proved than I am not.

You may be asking why would I post this most embarrassing incident that makes me look like an idiot. I am posting so the next person who drops there's maybe won't feel so bad about it. It happens and we just need to deal with it and learn form our mistakes.

So here is what happened. When I pulled in I was too far over by the Kawasaki, I do that to give my girlfriend room to get her car door open. So I was already leaning the bike to the left, as I dropped the kick stand what I did not realize in my ignorance was the kickstand was not fully extended because the angle of the bike was preventing it form going all the way. So thinking it was just safe to let it go I went to let it lean on the kickstand it just folded back under and the bike went down. Now the fun part, I got up the bike was not pinning me too bad and I was able to get up with out much effort. Dropping your bike in the privacy of your garage is the way to go, no onlookers and I could workout what I need to do without feeling rushed or on the spot. I had seen a seen a video that showed there is basically a handle under the rear seat area so I grabbed that and pulled the front brake with my back to the bike and my legs bent and began to walk it up. I had to move the Kawasaki out to make room to get it up but it was not really that hard. So the only good thing is I now know I can easily get my bike back up.

Damage done was as follows, my butt hit the floor pretty good and I am sore today. My left shoulder actually dented my girlfriends car door, like a huge dent so my shoulder is a bit tender as well. Nothing bad, nothing broken (I rode again this morning). Next was my girlfriends car, like I said a huge dent. I overnight ordered a set of suction cup dent pullers and popped it right back out, unfortunately there are still two minor indentations. She said it is fine but I cause the damage so I need to take in to a body shop and see what it will take to get it back to like new. I have insurance but I think I can just take care of this myself. Now for my bike and the damage, I had wondered if the customer made side crash guards I have seen discussions about ion this very forum were needed. I had thought maybe the bike was designed to not let anything get hit. well they are needed and I am amazed Honda did not think to add them. I was lucky I only have a small scratch in my left saddle bag. I ordered some touchup paint that I hope will match. You can not even see it unless to luck under a bit. I can find no other damage. It did scare me when I tried to start it after I got it back up and I could not get it in to neutral. I tried maybe 5 times then it went in and it is fine now. I had a nice long ride again today and the bike is running perfect. I had already made an appointment this Wednesday at my local shop to get a full oil change, lube and full check out of the bike since I just got it and want to be sure it is all working correctly. So if there is anything wrong they will find it.

A positive note (a day too late) I sold my Kawasaki yesterday after this happened. It had been for sale for a few weeks and for some reason yesterday I had 3 people wanting it. I sold it and it was picked up today so now I have plenty of room to park my bike, Oh and my new center stand will be here tomorrow so once I get that on parking will b eve easier.

Thanks for reading,
James

·
Registered
98 Posts
Question is, did you have the custom made saddlebag guards on? Sounds like you didn't. May I suggest getting them from Charlie? They are worth every penny he charges.

Richmonder

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, James, if we’re telling’ on ourselves ...

I have come close to dropping mine a couple times in the garage - caused by too much crap / clutter that REALLY ought not be there! But the only time I actually dropped it was ... of course ... in front of other riders! At our last Meetup in the Mountains. Just finished breakfast, wife on the pillion. Following another bike out of the parking lot, had to stop for traffic on a side sloped incline. Combination of my wife, not realizing it was sloped, sitting “level”, and a slightly wet surface, and we did an ever-so-slow tip to the left. Nothing broken, just a couple small scratches on the bottom of the pannier (no guards on mine). Hated doing that in front of my CTX brethren, but had lotsa help getting it back up. Nothing negative was said by anyone, and I assume they’ve all been there themselves!

On a side note - bike died, though I hadn’t turned the key off. Hit the starter, and it just cranked & cranked. Another member (Stan, I believe) told me to cycle the key switch. I did, and it fired right up. I’m thinking this no-start was due to the “tip sensor”, as it was lying on its side combined with the slope of the driveway putting it even farther over. Just an FYI.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I'm sure you've heard the saying...
There are thems' that have dropped their bike and thems' that will.

I dropped my Gold Wing just after I first rode it home. Fortunately it fell against my Vulcan 750 that I had up for sale but was not yet gone. Dent in the Vulcan front fender that I was able to pound out.
I also have very slowly dropped, as in moving forward around a corner over a narrow band of ice so really a low side, my first Burgman 650 and a faster low side with my ST1100. Only the ST needed much significant repairs that I did myself. Punishment for the accident I guess.

You're in good company. Now, get those saddlebag guards ordered and installed pronto.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
No big deal as long as you weren't hurt. At least you had no witnesses. On a ride to Americade with 13-14 other Wings we stopped for gas. All waiting our turn in line. I finished and pulled forward facing downhill on a very very slight incline. I parked and as I got off the dang bike rolled forward and off the sidestand. But so slow that I saw it and was able to gently let it down. ALWAYS park in gear now no matter which way its facing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies and words of support. My pain is all gone today so no damage (to me) done. I have a Confident Rider Class this week and I just hope I don't drop it there! haha

My question is why did Honda not address this? I mean there are no Honda options that I can find. I will go find the form that has the link to the member who makes the side gourds and get some ordered. I have already purchased the center stand (should be here today), new mirrors, a rain suite, new extra hemet and it goes in the shop in two days for service so what's a few more $$$ to get it just right.

Question, is there just the one member (Charlie) who makes the guards?

Thanks,
James

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Yep, just the one member.
The ST1300 riders have the exact same issue. No saddlebag guards for that bike either. I think you'll find more bikes don't have those guards than do. The ST riders have someone who makes an adapter that allows a set of Gold Wing saddlebag guards to be fitted. My Burgman 650 doesn't have any guards at all, front or back. The underside outer edge of the floor board plastic panels serves that function... sort of. BTDT! At least the CTX1300 does have engine guards (just in front of the cylinder covers. For those who have not had that plastic panel off there is a very hefty steel bar that plastic covers up so at least the engine is well protected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I had been wondering if I would ne able to pick up my new Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe if needed. I really kind of hopped I would never need to know but then yesterday happened.

I went out for a really nice early ride here in AZ it was chilly for us (55F) and I had such a good ride. I went and found a place to do some low speed maneuvering to get use to my new bike and I did an 18" U-Turn and was feeling pretty good about things. I have a class to improve my skills later this week and wanted to be ready. I leisurely made my way back home after a thoroughly enjoyable outing and pulled in to my very over full garage. Now we have what they call a 2 car garage that you could not fit 2 compact cars in. Yesterday as I pulled in my girlfriends SUV was in there along with my 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager that I'm selling. So to get my CTX 1300 in I pull up really close to the Kawasaki facing out and I stopped, put it in neutral, dropped the kickstand shut it off and then I was on the ground, my bike on my leg, my shoulder hit my girlfriends car door as I went down. Now I never claimed to be a smart man and I sure proved than I am not.

You may be asking why would I post this most embarrassing incident that makes me look like an idiot. I am posting so the next person who drops there's maybe won't feel so bad about it. It happens and we just need to deal with it and learn form our mistakes.

So here is what happened. When I pulled in I was too far over by the Kawasaki, I do that to give my girlfriend room to get her car door open. So I was already leaning the bike to the left, as I dropped the kick stand what I did not realize in my ignorance was the kickstand was not fully extended because the angle of the bike was preventing it form going all the way. So thinking it was just safe to let it go I went to let it lean on the kickstand it just folded back under and the bike went down. Now the fun part, I got up the bike was not pinning me too bad and I was able to get up with out much effort. Dropping your bike in the privacy of your garage is the way to go, no onlookers and I could workout what I need to do without feeling rushed or on the spot. I had seen a seen a video that showed there is basically a handle under the rear seat area so I grabbed that and pulled the front brake with my back to the bike and my legs bent and began to walk it up. I had to move the Kawasaki out to make room to get it up but it was not really that hard. So the only good thing is I now know I can easily get my bike back up.

Damage done was as follows, my butt hit the floor pretty good and I am sore today. My left shoulder actually dented my girlfriends car door, like a huge dent so my shoulder is a bit tender as well. Nothing bad, nothing broken (I rode again this morning). Next was my girlfriends car, like I said a huge dent. I overnight ordered a set of suction cup dent pullers and popped it right back out, unfortunately there are still two minor indentations. She said it is fine but I cause the damage so I need to take in to a body shop and see what it will take to get it back to like new. I have insurance but I think I can just take care of this myself. Now for my bike and the damage, I had wondered if the customer made side crash guards I have seen discussions about ion this very forum were needed. I had thought maybe the bike was designed to not let anything get hit. well they are needed and I am amazed Honda did not think to add them. I was lucky I only have a small scratch in my left saddle bag. I ordered some touchup paint that I hope will match. You can not even see it unless to luck under a bit. I can find no other damage. It did scare me when I tried to start it after I got it back up and I could not get it in to neutral. I tried maybe 5 times then it went in and it is fine now. I had a nice long ride again today and the bike is running perfect. I had already made an appointment this Wednesday at my local shop to get a full oil change, lube and full check out of the bike since I just got it and want to be sure it is all working correctly. So if there is anything wrong they will find it.

A positive note (a day too late) I sold my Kawasaki yesterday after this happened. It had been for sale for a few weeks and for some reason yesterday I had 3 people wanting it. I sold it and it was picked up today so now I have plenty of room to park my bike, Oh and my new center stand will be here tomorrow so once I get that on parking will b eve easier.

Thanks for reading,
James
James. Sorry to hear about this, but glad you are only sore with no major breaks or other bodily harm. Just a quick question/suggestion to see if you have a paintless dent repair shop in your area or have considered that option? I used a local place in my area a couple of times with autos and one time for my motorcycle too and they have been awesome. They are so skilled at doing that work, and they have the right tools that allow them to get in behind the door panel and in a few minutes, smooth out that dent like it was never there. And it's much less expensive than typical body work, as in don't even call your insurance agent. Just pay cash. I had great luck. Doesn't mean all vendors are the same, but maybe another option for you.
Hope you continue to heal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick question/suggestion to see if you have a paintless dent repair shop in your area or have considered that option? I used a local place in my area a couple of times with autos and one time for my motorcycle too and they have been awesome. They are so skilled at doing that work, and they have the right tools that allow them to get in behind the door panel and in a few minutes, smooth out that dent like it was never there. And it's much less expensive than typical body work, as in don't even call your insurance agent. Just pay cash.
PapaJohn, I can't thank you enough. I had never even heard of these "Paintless dent repair" places. I found a couple of local places and one came out and gave me a quote and it was a lot less than I was thinking so I went for it. They came and did the repair and it was beyond great. I seriously can't see a thing where the dent was. It is perfect and only cost me $185. Thank you for the recommendation, it saved me a bunch.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question is, did you have the custom made saddlebag guards on? Sounds like you didn't. May I suggest getting them from Charlie? They are worth every penny he charges.
I will soon, mine just arrived today. Once I figure out how they install I will get them on the bike.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
4 Posts
PapaJohn, I can't thank you enough. I had never even heard of these "Paintless dent repair" places. I found a couple of local places and one came out and gave me a quote and it was a lot less than I was thinking so I went for it. They came and did the repair and it was beyond great. I seriously can't see a thing where the dent was. It is perfect and only cost me $185. Thank you for the recommendation, it saved me a bunch.

Thanks,
James
Hey James! So glad it worked out for you. For once, I was able to provide some info on the forum. Usually, I'm the one searchin' for answers! Dealers also rely on these folks a ton as well to get a car's body looking good. It is amazing isn't it? They got the right tools, they're easy to transport, and if the person is experienced, it is a pretty quick fix and in short time, it looks like it was never there. When there is hail in the area, these peeps make a bunch of money in a short time. Take care!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Has happened to me too. Once in my driveway, another time somewhere else. After the driveway drop, I've gotten into the habit of tapping the kickstand forward with my foot before leaning the machine over. Takes only a second, worth the time.

When I park on a ferry, I engage the clutch, then nudge the motorcycle forward till it stops before leaning over on to the kickstand. This way, if the ferry bumps in any direction, the bike can only move backward, which will not fold up the kickstand.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks for reading,
James
I've dropped my CTX several times in my yard for different reasons. Put my foot in a depression, forgot to put the kickstand down because I shut it off with the kill switch. I usually put down the kickstand to shut it off. The yard was too wet and soft, etc, etc.
The saddlebag guards made by menosabe have saved my bags several times. Especially the time a car pulled off the shoulder and sideswiped me. It broke my front floorboard and bent the guard all the way back to the saddlebag, but saved it from getting crushed. Get the saddlebag guards.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks for reading,
James
Oh yeah. There isn't a bike made that you can't pick up if you do it right. Except maybe for one of those V8 monsters.
There's a girl at Annapolis Maryland Harley Davidson who teaches the motorcycle safety course. I've been told by my Harley friend she's all of 4' something tall and can pick up a full dressed Ultra Glide. She did this for a female customer who was worried she couldn't handle a large bike.
The little lady showed her there's nothing she can't ride, because she rides them herself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts