CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and have read everything I can about the CTX 1300 (I'm going through the motions of arriving at a decision to buy one) and all reports and reviews I have seen/read by you blokes (guys) is all from your perspective. I have seen very little, if anything, from your other half on how they like or dislike the bike.
As I am planning on buying a bike mainly so my wife can join me (I have a Triumph Speed Triple R just for me), I would love to be able to tell her that the bike would not only suit my needs but that she could feel confident that she would enjoy it as much as me. So.....are you able to get your wife's/partner's comment please and provide me and possibly others who maybe in the same situation, with their view of the bike's attributes and weaknesses. Hopefully it will make for some interesting reading

·
Registered
23 Posts
Difficult one Nuffy. My wife is 55 kilos. After only 100klm just yesterday she was bitching.

However if your wife has a butt more like Kim Kardashian, she will be perfectly comfortable :)

Horses for courses. It is comfortable and definitely needs a back rest, according to my wife. But that is mainly because if I turn off traction control, she is afraid, she might be left sitting on the road.

Think rather than a question like this and depending on the "build" of your partner / wife, you need to try it personally.

I did adjust the shocks by the way, which is easily done. Forget all the crap and instructions about tools here. Just stick your hand in, grab the shocker and count... Pretty easy actually....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Mimmike,
My wife is 57kgs and 5ft 3'' and she would require a soft seat and definitely a backrest. We recently had a BMW R1200R with top box and she always complained after 1 hour of riding so she is going to be fussy when it comes to comfort. Taking a bike for a test ride is OK but as the test rides are generally very short it is hard to gauge the comfort level especially as most bike shops are in built up areas and the test routes are restricted by traffic and stop lights so there is a lot of starting and stopping....
I figured you can't beat hearing it from those in the saddle for extended periods of time.
Suspension issues do seem to crop up a lot in the reviews/posts I have read, so I'm glad you found it easy to resolve/adjust

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I put the factory backrest on mine, and my wife loves it. For longer rides, she does better with good stiff-soled riding boots, since I haven't put floorboards on (yet). Of all the bikes I've owned, she finds the CTX among the most comfortable. Now keep in mind that we haven't done any kind of serious touring, just 2-3-hour rides.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's also worth mentioning the most obvious fix, lest it be forgotten: get her (or tell her to get) her own bike. The only way to fix "uncomfortable back seat" problems is not to be in the back seat.

And experience shows it's a lot better to be riding with someone (as in side by side) than with a pillion ;-)

Reactions: bob and sleepngbear

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
This question also depends on what the SO is used to.
My wife used to ride pillion on the GL1500 and enjoyed that as much as she could. She's been riding her scooter for many years so is most used to having her legs in front of her like sitting in a chair. Her only comments on the CTX1300 the very few times she has been pillion on that one is "not like the Gold Wing" and "the seat is too wide" (for the knees). I suppose it would be better comfort if the pillion seat were tapered a bit more, like the GL seats are. Something I am sure after market or custom seat makers will be happy to address (especially if requested).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responses.........
I wish my wife was co-ordinated enough to have her own bike, but alas she has trouble with knowing her left from her right and her balance is highly suspect....but she makes a great pillion and when she is comfortable on the bike she has been known to fall asleep.
For csdexter's information.....we spent 10 days riding around Ireland last year on a hired BMW 1200GS from Celtic Rider (Dublin).....it was one of the highlights of my riding experiences...everyone should do it at least once....vast scenery and country roads were just fantastic

·
Registered
23 Posts
I previously had a BMW R1200RT. My wife hated that. Also mine does have Kuryakyn passenger footpegs. So well I have done quite a bit to it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My recommendation for a seat modification is Spencers Seats -

Page 1

I had my ST 1300 seat "fixed" by this guy, and it you want to talk about a night and day experience, this was it.

He uses the same seat cover, and I would recommend the Supracor option for comfort.

The benefit is it is relatively inexpensive, and the results are significant. The downside is the coordination and shipping, but if you are budget minded, this is the way to go.

He will want a photo of you sitting on the bike, and you can ask him to contour the seat for a lower height, more forward/aft slant, narrower in some location, etc. Therefore, for not a lot of money, you get a seat that is tailored for your height, seating position for comfort, so it is essentially a custom seat.

I rode my ST1300 on a 325 mile non-stop leg once, and had the seat been stock, I was squirming after 45 minutes. I felt the difference in the way the seat felt right away, he made a change for my more up-right seating as I had the Heli-bar risers and longer arms. I couldn't tell a difference in comfort right away, but after breaking the seat in as recommended, I found myself sitting on the saddle for hours without any discomfort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your responses.........
Miks....I guess you are trying to tell me that I might need a seat upgrade.....it seems that each bike I buy I need to re-configure the seat in some way ...I did it on the BMW R1200R all to no avail as it was still very uncomfortable (my wife and I hated it before and after mods) and I recently did it on my Triumph Speed Triple....which looks great and gets an 8 out of 10 for comfort)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
My recommendation for a seat modification is Spencers Seats -

Page 1

I had my ST 1300 seat "fixed" by this guy, and it you want to talk about a night and day experience, this was it.

He uses the same seat cover, and I would recommend the Supracor option for comfort.

The benefit is it is relatively inexpensive, and the results are significant. The downside is the coordination and shipping, but if you are budget minded, this is the way to go.

He will want a photo of you sitting on the bike, and you can ask him to contour the seat for a lower height, more forward/aft slant, narrower in some location, etc. Therefore, for not a lot of money, you get a seat that is tailored for your height, seating position for comfort, so it is essentially a custom seat.

I rode my ST1300 on a 325 mile non-stop leg once, and had the seat been stock, I was squirming after 45 minutes. I felt the difference in the way the seat felt right away, he made a change for my more up-right seating as I had the Heli-bar risers and longer arms. I couldn't tell a difference in comfort right away, but after breaking the seat in as recommended, I found myself sitting on the saddle for hours without any discomfort.
I had never heard of this guy, but it looks like he knows what he's doing.

Another option for an affordable seat modification is Mean City Cycles. It would probably take some experimentation with the CTX since it's so new, but they did great work on two of my bikes (VTX1800 and Magna 750), and their customer service is second to none. They'll work very closely with you from the time you place your order right through the actual re-foaming to understand where you're uncomfortable and to update the seat to your height, weight and body type. As comfortable as I find the stock CTX seat, I was actually thinking of sending it to them anyway just to see what more they might be able to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Thanks to all for your responses.........
Miks....I guess you are trying to tell me that I might need a seat upgrade...
Actually I think an extended test ride is in order before jumping into a modification. Or at least have the SO try it out for a ride to determine if it's even close (one can usually tell that much in a short ride). Everyone is different in what is comfortable or not so. Only a ride can tell you and your passenger if stock is good or if a mod is needed. Based on my wife's opinion I would consider a mod to the pillion only since I am good with the rider seat. But that would be only if she were interested in riding with me more than once or twice a year. She's not, really, so it's not likely any mod will be made. Not worth the money for riding less than 10 miles a year out of the 7000+ miles I usually put on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts