CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine idle has been consistently taching at 2k rather than the normal 1k.

Any thoughts?

TD

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would start by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so, to see if the system will reset. You didn't mention a check engine light so I assume it hasn't thrown any codes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Same thing happen to me too. The bike was sitting for about 2 weeks, it started fine, but the idle was around 2k. It was very cold outside, around 34-36F . I went for a short ride, 6 miles in total, before parking it the idle went back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
2000 rpm is normal for idle. It should drop gradually and settle around 1100 rpm when one or two bars show up on the engine temp gauge. Outside temp will only affect how long it takes to do that. But if it's really cold, like getting near zeroF or lower, it may even possibly stay at 2 bars when at speed... normal again until you slow to street speeds or stop and then the 3rd bar will show up. Idle will stay a little high in those conditions. I've seen as high as 1500 rpm in really cold temps (below zeroF) until the engine warms up at a stop light. This would happen on really cold mornings on my ride to work when idle at the stop light would at first be near 2000 and then drop if it's a long light at the end of my ride.

If the rpm never drops after prolonged warm up with 3 bars showing on the gauge then possibly the ECM as @cefox implies.
Make sure the engine is not overheating (more than 3 bars) as that will indicate a problem in the cooling system (sensors?) that tells the ECM when the engine is warmed up.
It also could be a vacuum leak somewhere (more likely) or even a problem with the air intake system, intake leak or idle air control valve (I think the CTX has this being fuel injected).
Or even the fuel pressure regulator.
Many of these systems and sensors are controlled by the ECM. That doesn't mean the ECM is the issue but that these all send data to the ECM and if any one of them is faulty the ECM can hold idle high.

Most FI engines are similar for this issue. You can search online and find many articles suggesting what to check for this condition. Search on "high idle fuel injected engine" to get lots of results.
If I still had the service manual I would look up the actual trouble shooting steps for this condition.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
From tech manual
Idle speed - 1000 +-100
Engine must be warm for accurate inspection
Inspect
No MIL blinking
Spark plug condition
Secondary air supply system condition
Air cleaner condition

If out of spec, check

intake air leak or top end problem
throttle operation and free play
IACV operation

Reactions: HansenCTX and docD

·
Registered
228 Posts
Battery is dying.

Higher idle is the alternator recharging the battery to get it up to voltage. Once it reaches 14 Volts it should drop down to 1'ish...

If I have my bike on the trickle charger it starts and idles fine. If I jump the bike it idles high until the battery is recharged.

Yes I know... The new battery will be installed in the spring when I change all my fluids and tires.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My engine idle has been consistently taching at 2k rather than the normal 1k.

Any thoughts?

TD
TD,
Are you still having the problem? Or has it "magically" fixed itself? I have had this problem several times (sometimes after a long ride so I know it is not a warm up problem), and started a thread about it long ago. There were several others that have also had this problem on and off - and there were some suggestions about how to "fix" it (ranging from disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to my favorite, the "Italian tune-up" - which is take the bike out and wring the piss out of it). I have tried these methods and have been "fooled" a couple times into thinking I had actually solved the problem. But I have found the truth of the matter is that it just somehow "fixed" itself regardless of what I did.

Now I am smart enough to know that nothing is fixed and this will for sure crop up again - and it is most likely a sensor input to the ECU that is temperamental. Your thread has some much better technical discussion - and I am sure that some day it will get figured out. I was just wondering if your problem (like mine) has just solved itself.

Reactions: TDWright

·
Registered
276 Posts
My CTX has just started to idle around 2k. Initial start-up is at normal rpm, but after running the bike a bit, it remains at 2k.

Today, I removed the cowlings and the air filter to install a new one. The new filter arrives tomorrow, and I hope the new clean filter will solve my high idle issue because my filter is dirty with 21,600 on the odometer.

Additionally, my bike has the original OEM battery, a new OEM grade battery will be installed, because I have noticed a weak start, which is causing me to wonder if the battery is going bad causing the bike to idle higher to charge the battery.

Lastly, with everything off, I changed all the coolant.

I took my time to remove all the paneling, and it took me a quick 4 hours to carefully remove everything without any damage. No, the bike is not reassembled yet! Though, thus labor is saving me $550 at my local Honda shop!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is too cold for me to ride these days...… so I am stuck at my original post..

TD,
Are you still having the problem? Or has it "magically" fixed itself? I have had this problem several times (sometimes after a long ride so I know it is not a warm up problem), and started a thread about it long ago. There were several others that have also had this problem on and off - and there were some suggestions about how to "fix" it (ranging from disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to my favorite, the "Italian tune-up" - which is take the bike out and wring the piss out of it). I have tried these methods and have been "fooled" a couple times into thinking I had actually solved the problem. But I have found the truth of the matter is that it just somehow "fixed" itself regardless of what I did.

Now I am smart enough to know that nothing is fixed and this will for sure crop up again - and it is most likely a sensor input to the ECU that is temperamental. Your thread has some much better technical discussion - and I am sure that some day it will get figured out. I was just wondering if your problem (like mine) has just solved itself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
After replacing the air filter and installing a new OEM battery, I reconnected all the plugs and such. But I did not put the Tupperware together. I started the bike let it warm up.

The bike started like a champ! However, it remains at 2 grand at idle.

So today, with the bike disassembled, I shall remove the remaining air housing (lower) to test the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

I feel that it is working correctly, but I am near enough to it that I will test it per the manual, which is easy enough.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Update: I removed the entire air cleaner housing to access the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), and I tested it per the manual. It functions correctly.

I have examined the various air hoses. All appear in good condition with no cracking or lose connections.

The Air Control Valve, which sits atop the upper air cleaner housing, functions also.

I am still experiencing high idle at 2,000 RPM.

On occasion, idle will decrease say after turning off the bike and restarting; however, twisting the throttle, and releasing causes the 2,000 rpm again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
After changing the filter and testing the IACV and 3 other sensors, and hoses, I am at a loss as how to resolve my 2,000rom idle.

I also adjusted the throttle system per the manual, and fuel system inspection and secondary air as all part of the troubleshooting per the manual.

I took the Red Enchantress by my local bike shop (not a Honda dealership), and we discussed what I had done. The fellow said that it sounded like I had done more than what was needed to resolve the problem. The owner admitted that he would be willing to work on the bike, but admitted that he likely would not succeed or easily being unfamiliar with it. That said, he recommended that invite the bullet and take my bike to the more expensive dealer (hour rate) to save money. 🤦‍♂️

Even this time of year, they are three weeks out, so I have an appointment to take her and drop her off. In the meantime, I will tolerate the idle and continue to ride.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last week there were two days that was warm enough to go for a ride, so the wife unit one each took it to Hagerstown to do a little Christmas shopping...…. at times it idled at 2k and others at 1k. All at normal operating temperature...…… and after having driven on 45 mph roads and freeway.

Bob, I don't remember it idling at 2K after being up to temp while sitting at stop lights...…..

Tim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since you said it'll come back up to 2,000 RPM after you give it throttle, have you checked to be sure the throttle is returning all the way back? I'm pretty sure you have, but just wanted to make sure nothing simple was getting overlooked since I didn't see any mention of that end of things in the earlier posts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes.

Since you said it'll come back up to 2,000 RPM after you give it throttle, have you checked to be sure the throttle is returning all the way back? I'm pretty sure you have, but just wanted to make sure nothing simple was getting overlooked since I didn't see any mention of that end of things in the earlier posts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a date this Saturday with the dealer. I was unable to resolve it, and my local general bike shop recommended the dealer.

As soon as my high idle (2 - 2.3k) is resolved, I'll report back.

Reactions: fbnewell1

·
Registered
197 Posts
So this is what happened yesterday. Bike wasn’t driven for about 4 weeks. It’s been parked in a cold garage hooked on battery tender . It took couple of more cranks than normal for the bike to start, after starting the bike idle was at 2000 rpm. I left it to worm up for about 10 minutes ( outside temperature 42F ) , after worm up the idle went down to about 1000 rpm. Went for a ride for about 5-6 miles, stoping on stop signs and lights the rpms ware between 1200-1300 rpm , and gradually dropping down longer I was sitting stoped. Stopped at a gas station filled the gas tank with premium and added “Stabil” in the fuel. Then took the long way back to the garage, about 10-11 miles with only one stoping on stop light( rpm 1000). When finally parked the bike the rpm was steady at 1000 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
Just a thought.
Since premium (92 PON) gas is NOT needed in this engine... normally (designed for regular)... and the bike computer has to adjust the spark and ignition timing to burn premium gas...
Is the OP using premium fuel? If so, is it possible that the specific blend of premium being used is at fault for the bike computer holding the idle high?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Update:

Bike has been at the local Honda dealership since the 14th.

They have NO clue either as to what is causing the fast idle. They are awaiting resolution from Honda.

The tech remarked that he suspects that Honda is uncertain to the cause.

...to be continued...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Update:

Bike has been at the local Honda dealership since the 14th.

They have NO clue either as to what is causing the fast idle. They are awaiting resolution from Honda.

The tech remarked that he suspects that Honda is uncertain to the cause.

...to be continued...
Thanks for keeping us informed on this issue! But I gotta wonder... does Honda even care?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts