CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
i thot these bike were supposed to be the best ride that ya could possibly get from a motorcycle. apparently i was led astray from reading articles postings and news provided by motorcycle magazines.
I dont think I ever saw a review or article that said the suspension/ride was any more than adequate, with a lot of folks saying it was less than adequate. There are a lot of threads on aftermarket fork innards and fluids. I am on the adequate wagon, but I must admit I was a little surprised at the jolts when I first bought it new. I dont even notice it now. It seemingly smoothed out but it is definitely still firm, which suits my riding style. I dont want a potentially too cushy 730 lb machine zipping through the canyons. I ride with 38 psi up front and 42 psi out back.
Sorry to hear you were led astray...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I dont think I ever saw a review or article that said the suspension/ride was any more than adequate, with a lot of folks saying it was less than adequate. There are a lot of threads on aftermarket fork innards and fluids. I am on the adequate wagon, but I must admit I was a little surprised at the jolts when I first bought it new. I dont even notice it now. It seemingly smoothed out but it is definitely still firm, which suits my riding style. I dont want a potentially too cushy 730 lb machine zipping through the canyons. I ride with 38 psi up front and 42 psi out back.
Sorry to hear you were led astray...
thanks. i will try to " soften up" the front by actually putting 34 lbs in the front tire.then counting on the 2 extra lbs ya get by heat /friction expansion. will ride at 38 lbs for the rear ,also counting on the extra 2 lbs of heat expansion to a total of 40 lbs for the rear.honestly, i am surprised it doesnt ride any better than my vrod tho. whcih,[with gr8 gnashing of teeth] i sold. ungh!! stupid move on my part. oh well, i oughta be used to that by now!馃榾

Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
I would caution about going below the recommended 36 psi in front. I found that sticking to the recommended psi did end up with slightly faster wear and cupping on the front tire. I was keeping mine at 38 front and 42 rear and still ended up with a little cupping starting on the front. I bumped that up to 40 in front and the cupping actually started to go away before the time came to replace the tire. I did not find all that much difference in the ride between 38 and 40 psi in front. The front suspension is stiff. My CTX did soften up significantly after 8000 miles so I was one who felt no need to upgrade the forks. A lower psi in front will only cause ride issues that are not good for safety. The tires are designed to be able to be at 42 psi, both front and rear. Honda gives a recommendation for a softer ride but I guess I prefer a more solid feel of the tires to the road.

Registered
one thing i have found out. people on this site say they run 40 lbs in the front tire or so. i ran aproximately 38 in mine just yesterday[front tire]. it was positively bone jarring when i hit a hole or a quick dip in the road surface. i will drop it to 34 lbs on the next ride, therefore allowing for the 2 lbs expansion that is normal from the heat build up from friction with the roads surface. that ride quality yesterday was WORSE , than my 2009 vrod,which i traded for this 1300. i ran 38 lbs pressure in the rear of the 1300 and it was "ok" at best. not as good as i had hoped for. i feel betrayed, or misinformed. i thot these bike were supposed to be the best ride that ya could possibly get from a motorcycle. apparently i was led astray from reading articles postings and news provided by motorcycle magazines.
I don't think people in general consider load when it comes to tire pressure. A manufacturer put a pressure suggest to meet full load capacity. Within reason IMO adjust down for light load is a smart idea. Just makes sense to me, as I get a smoother ride 2lbs under on front. I tried the few lbs higher to find it gave too much feedback on little ripples or more deviation in road surface.
It definitely feels different with 2 up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't think people in general consider load when it comes to tire pressure. A manufacturer put a pressure suggest to meet full load capacity. Within reason IMO adjust down for light load is a smart idea. Just makes sense to me, as I get a smoother ride 2lbs under on front. I tried the few lbs higher to find it gave too much feedback on little ripples or more deviation in road surface.
It definitely feels different with 2 up.
thats what i kinda figured.

Premium Member
one thing i have found out. people on this site say they run 40 lbs in the front tire or so. i ran aproximately 38 in mine just yesterday[front tire]. it was positively bone jarring when i hit a hole or a quick dip in the road surface. i will drop it to 34 lbs on the next ride, therefore allowing for the 2 lbs expansion that is normal from the heat build up from friction with the roads surface. that ride quality yesterday was WORSE , than my 2009 vrod,which i traded for this 1300. i ran 38 lbs pressure in the rear of the 1300 and it was "ok" at best. not as good as i had hoped for. i feel betrayed, or misinformed. i thot these bike were supposed to be the best ride that ya could possibly get from a motorcycle. apparently i was led astray from reading articles postings and news provided by motorcycle magazines.
That's the way my front end felt until I put in a larger, heavier battery. The extra weight absorbed the shock, which I wasn't expecting.
Watching many reviews of the bike, I noticed the paid reviewers didn't mention the stiff forks. Of course they wouldn't, they wouldn't get another chance to review the next bike. But reviews by owners were different. One described the shock from bumps being enough to knock your hands loose. I experienced that kind of recoil myself. The extra weight made all the difference. Others have spent money on aftermarket shocks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's the way my front end felt until I put in a larger, heavier battery. The extra weight absorbed the shock, which I wasn't expecting.
Watching many reviews of the bike, I noticed the paid reviewers didn't mention the stiff forks. Of course they wouldn't, they wouldn't get another chance to review the next bike. But reviews by owners were different. One described the shock from bumps being enough to knock your hands loose. I experienced that kind of recoil myself. The extra weight made all the difference. Others have spent money on aftermarket shocks.
thanks! i may try that myself. cant hurt!

Premium Member
Sorry you feel betrayed or misinformed. I鈥檓 sure no one in this group is here to lead anyone astray. With that said a comfy ride to one may be as you found a bone jarring ride. It鈥檚 all pretty subjective I guess you鈥檇 say on your expectations. It may take some sorting out on your part as far as rear shock setting and front fork oil change or even fork inners changed can make a big difference too. And then others have gone to shock absorbing risers and grip puppies. Hope you get it to your liking it is a pretty good bike. Good luck and stay safe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i am not saying anyone here led me astray. i am saying the articles and write ups did. it is all sunjective. i guess maybe they were lookibng at the ride quality as tho it is more of a sport bike type of ride. whereas, i was looking for a more smooth type of ride. with maybe a bit of an edge to it for cornering and a bit of performance once in a while. i will adjust the shocks and get some grip puppies and maybe change out the stock grips for the air chusion grips by avon, i recommend them highly. then put the grip puppies over them. should take alot of the bone jarring out of the bars. maybe put new shocks on from progressive??? had some on a vtx 1800 and they worked out very well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
obtw, y'all, in case ya havent seen or heard of them, the avon cushion grips are the berries!!!!! usually about 60 to 80 buckeroos,but, worth it. ya dont have to grip them, they grip your hands. so then ya can ride with your paws very lightly contacting the grip surface.

Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
as far as providing a link, i am not sure how to go about doing that on here. sorry just look up avon grips on the web.
To add a link in a post just look at the buttons across the bottom of the reply box. Look for the chain icon and click on that and then paste the link you copied into the URL block and then the insert button. Be sure to first place the cursor (the flashing line that shows where you are typing) where you want the link to show up in the post.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts