CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I lived near an Indian dealer I'd have to check out the new Scout. That's a great looking bike. Indian has finally joined the 21st century.

I don't think it would work as a primary bike due to the small fuel tank, but It would be a great second bike.

2015 Indian Scout Silver Smoke Motorcycle : Overview

Reactions: SLP and t star

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Just saw this yesterday at another site. Very nice looking machine, with the retro cues on the more modern look. The big twins are no longer my cup of tea, but that is definitely a nice looker.

· Premium Member
907 Posts
Great looking bike, and if I had enough jingle for a new second bike, it is something I would definately love to own. I really like the squared-off, steampunk-y look of it. I wonder how hard it would be to change all that chrome to bronze-colored? It would go better with the (awesome) brown leather seat.

· Registered
412 Posts
It was the appearance of this bike over the weekend that made me realize part of me still wanted something like a cruiser, where previously I'd been thinking full sport-touring. So ironically the Scout pushed me towards the CTX.

I wouldn't consider the Scout for myself as a primary bike. At 6' and 215lbs, I think I'd look a bit like King Kong on it. Ride review videos I've seen of guys near my size on them look kind of goofy, though they all insist the bike is a great ride.

If Indian made their larger bagger look more like the Scout aesthetically, I'd be all-in. The Chief line, though beautifully done, is a bit too classic looking for my taste.

Jeff

· Premium Member
667 Posts
Just found this thread while looking for some comparisons.
My local Honda/Suzuki dealer has an Indian Scout in at the moment, used but at a good price.
I seriously considered it as it is 100kg lighter than the CTX and I do find it difficult to move around (standing at the side) if there's even a slight slope.
However, I then started looking into cost of pannier/saddlebags and immediately counted it out due to the exorbatant cost of such essentials when I do camping, touring etc.
I'd be loathe to get cheaper ones of ebay as the genuine parts look so good, not so sure about the cheaper ones.
https://www.thunderroad.co.uk/used-bike/indian-scout/

I'm looking at the Honda VFR1200XE Crosstourer Highlander DCT. Had a test ride a few weeks ago and quite liked it, not as much as the CTX but it's a good alternative.
If only I could shave about 80kg off the CTX!

· Registered
50 Posts
Can't take the fold-you-in-half ergos of the Scout, though I do like the looks. However, I'm definitely going to take a serious look at the new FTR1200...

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I highly recommend the Scout for those who are looking for a smaller bike. I put some cheap aftermarket bags on mine. They are practical and they hold a lot of stuff, but they don't look great with the lines of the bike. If I were 10 years older and could only have one bike, I'd probably keep the Scout.

The bike is only about 530 pounds, but it puts out about 100 HP. It goes quick. The only problem I have with it is that it is just a bit small for me. And I'm not a big guy. It's real easy to push around in the garage.

The early models had a stiff rear suspension and a soft front suspension. They fixed the rear with the 2017 model and then fixed the front with the 2018 model. Some of the 2015 models had issues with clutch cables breaking, but that seems to have been sorted on later models.

I find the bike OK on the highway and great on the Kentucky backroads. Many riders have ridden their Scouts on long tours with no issues.

Indian Rider - Indian Motorcycle Forums

https://tennesseesmith.smugmug.com/2018/i-kZSx4k2
https://tennesseesmith.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2017-Indian-Scout/

Reactions: djrose007

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fold-you-in-half ergos...
That was a problem I had with the CTX700D. The seating position turned me into a parachute.

The Scout pegs are not nearly as far forward as the CTX700 pegs. Also, Indian offers many different handlebars for the bike. It's easy to find a size that fits your body shape.

I'm looking forward to riding an FTR in the Spring. I probably won't trade the Scout for one just yet, but I'm sure I'll be tempted.

· Registered
815 Posts
Nice bike, I wouldn’t trade my 94 Magna for it though.The thing that turns me off is the squared off finders and solo seat. The rest of the bike looks great. In my opinion they need to make their larger bikes off this idea of a liquid cooled engine instead of an air cooled one, more power and less heat generated that makes the rider uncomfortable on hot days.

· Registered
200 Posts
My old Suzuki water buffalo broke into a cold sweat when I saw a black Scout last year. Be perfect for the single lane black top roads around here, They weight about the same and while the old bike is reliable it is 46 years old. Maybe sell it and get a Scout next year. Have to test ride one for my frame 6'1".

· Registered
19 Posts
I owned a Scout and no matter what I did to it, seat, different bars, risers, boards, etc. I could never get comfortable on it and also thought the clutch was killer for my arthritic hands. Make sure you test ride it before buying.

Now on the other hand, all I had to do was put a Corbin seat, 8" floorboards with 2" brackets on the CTX700 and I was fine, love the bike, still have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.