CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing my MC Cruise last weekend. If you email them they will send you a copy of the install manual so you can get an idea of the work involved before ordering it. It's a very straight forward install and the instructions are incredibly detailed. There are however ALOT of details. I managed to somehow mess up the cables but got them straightened out when checking the adjustment before reinstalling the airbox. There were a few other little issues one involving dropping a tiny locknut down in the intake valley that I managed to blindly pick up with a small extending magnet. All those black engine parts make that thing like a black hole if something is dropped.

Anyway I do have one nagging issue that I need to email the MC guys about which involves the clutch switch. For some reason when hooked up per the instructions the voltage drops off to nothing when the clutch is disengaged however if I have the cruise hooked up but not the bike to the output side of the switch it works great and cuts out the cruise. It's acting like if everything is hooked up that there is ground fault downstream of the switch on the bike side of the electronics. This seems to be a bike issue and not a cruise control issue. Right now I have the clutch switch disconnected from the downstream side on the bike which just means I have to put the bike in neutral to start it. No biggie for now.

In regards to the cruise it's set up to work at just about any speed so I can set it from 25mph all the way to 75 with no issues and it holds the speed well. The only thing I have noticed is that there is about a half second delay in cutting out when using either brake or the clutch to disengage it. I'm planning to put some real miles on it this spring so this should make the rides much more enjoyable.

Initially the sticker shock for the kit was pretty hard to overcome. Now after the install and test I really think it's 100% worth the cost and day it took me to do the install.

As far as the time to install it took me almost 8 hours which included a quick run to the parts store for a tube of silicone. Now that I have done it once I could probably do it again in less than 5 provided the bike wasn't modified in some weird way.

If anyone has any questions about either the kit or the install just let me know.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
513 Posts
The delay is caused by the solenoid taking up the slack of the throttle cable. This is explained in the manual.

I too am in the middle of installing the MC cruise control. Documentation and customer support is excellent.
Not quite sure what is going on with the clutch control. The cruise control is supposed to disengage when the clutch is pulled in. If I understand what you are posting, when you pull the clutch in, the voltage drops to nothing. Does the motor stall? Does the cruise control reset? What does drop to nothing mean... voltage wise? 0 volts? Are fuses blown?

If the motor stalls or fuses blow, you do indeed have a short to ground when the clutch is pulled in. This would be either a fault in installation or a manufacturing defect in the provided wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The delay I am talking about would be the opposite of slack being taken up, not sure how to explain it but what you are talking about is the engaging of the cruise, what I am talking about is the disengaging of the cruise. I need to check and see if the brake is engaging before the brake light comes on.

In regards to the clutch if I have the wire on the bike hooked up at the clutch switch the cruise won't even turn on. If I disconnect it from the wire going back to the cruise computer everything works fine. I still haven't gotten around to emailing the MC cruise guys. My gut says the problem is with the bike and not the cruise however because it works fine if the wire going back to... well wherever it goes is disconnected.

Work got busy after the install and I haven't had the bike back out since I took it for a long test ride a week after the install.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just ordered my Mc Cruise today (10/22/2021) thanks for mentioning the discount, I emailed them about the discount code and they sent it to me, the AUD price is scary, but with the conversion to US price, discount + shipping $899. Hopefully I will have it before spring so I will have a winter project. Seems silly to just now add the cruise at 40K miles, but lack of cruise is the ONLY thing I don't like about the CTX1300!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Just a thought on your clutch lever/switch, could the switch be bad, stuck in whatever position that cuts out the cruise? But I’m guessing it worked correct prior to install. Just a thought since you say cruise works when it’s disconnected. If I read you right. Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just ordered my Mc Cruise today, thanks for mentioning the discount, I emailed them about the discount code and they sent it to me, the AUD price is scary, but with the conversion to US price, discount + shipping $899. Hopefully I will have it before spring so I will have a winter project. Seems silly to just now add the cruise at 40K miles, but lack of cruise is the ONLY thing I don't like about the CTX1300!
Yea I quoted myself...
I recieved the MC cruise Thursday the 4th, way faster than I thought I would get it.
Read through the instructions and instead of lubing cables at 40K miles on them I decided to replace the throttle cables when I install the cruise, so now waiting on the cables.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Installed cruise myself yesterday, tear down and installed mechanical pars one evening, then afternoon next day electrical and reassembly.
Test rode today, works perfectly! Brake switches shut it off, accl and decel work as it should. On the clutch switch, definitely had to switch the clutch lever switch wires, instructions say to connect to black wire not black with stripe, black with stripe was on the upper spade, moved it to bottom post and black to top post to connect jumper to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts