CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Great forum!

I currently own a Triumph Thruxton and I'm thinking about trading it in for the CTX 1300. The recent price drops look great, but I'm worried that maybe Honda has something up their sleeve with this bike... is it being discontinued due to lack of sales or no support from the cruiser community? I bought a Saturn 9 months before GM discontinued the Saturn line and closed all the Saturn dealerships.

HDs aren't my cup of tea and the Gold Wing's size isn't for me. I've always been drawn to motorcycles and cars that you don't see a ton of on the road, so the CTX 1300 fits the bill.

As I've gotten older, I've been taking more long distance rides lately and I've come to the conclusion that the Thruxton isn't the bike for me when it comes to riding for long periods of time.

Any advice or shared experiences are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome:)

The future of the CTX1300 is uncertain. My dealer told me yesterday that Honda has not (yet) communicated its intentions regarding 2016 or subsequent year production runs. He also said Honda will complete its model announcements for 2016 sometime in Nov.

He also indicated he still had no problem obtaining 2014 models in all three colors, and that the price took a $1000 bump up on 10/1.

In the 7000 miles I've had mine (since last April) I've found the bike to be considerably more stable than I am:), full of vim and vigor, and looks to die for.

Having said that, the CTX 1300 is a rare bird that seems to evoke either complete rapture at first sight, or loathing. Kind of like the reactions to the Victory Vision lineup.

Throw a leg over one and take it down the road a bit. You'll never go back to sheep...er....V-twins.....:tongue:

Reactions: JBone

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
What Springer said. To add to that, so what if Honda does make it just a one-and-done. They have to continue to provide spare parts for I think 10 years, no matter how few they actually sold (which should, one would think, be incentive to sell it for more than just one year, but what do I know). If you like it, and if you can get a test ride and it confirms your like, just buy it, and ride the p!ss out of it while you can.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
29 Posts
What Springer said. To add to that, so what if Honda does make it just a one-and-done. They have to continue to provide spare parts for I think 10 years, no matter how few they actually sold !
Hi, this is very interesting and I've never heard it before. Where did you garner this information from? I can see them being required by law to have parts available while under warranty, but for 10 years after a model is discontinued? Not challenging you or saying you are not correct, just wondering where you heard this from.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I heard it first with my first bike, a Harley 125cc that was 7 years old, and the last model year for that model when I bought it. Heard it from a number of parts distributors. I think it is a federal business regulation, but very hard to nail down that law. I was able to get parts for my bike at least 8 years past when the model was discontinued, and that was a cast metal throttle housing part on the handlebar.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Hi, this is very interesting and I've never heard it before. Where did you garner this information from? I can see them being required by law to have parts available while under warranty, but for 10 years after a model is discontinued? Not challenging you or saying you are not correct, just wondering where you heard this from.
Nothing official -- I actually saw it here somewhere. Maybe it's only seven. Suffice it to say, they have to carry replacement parts for longer than probably most people keep these things anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts